cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy Protection Password

saajid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Friends, I am new in town but with Public mobile for last 7 years. I never had any problems before but a few days back I was having problems in sending Textg Messages, I could receive it but could not send it. So as per the Store sales person, I came home and removed the SIM Card, waited for a minuite and then inserted the SIM card, restarted the phone. Now I am stuck in the Screen asking me to enter "Privacy Protection Password" which I never set in my phone. I asked the Store people and they could not help me out.

I did the Hard Reset using the Volume and Power Button, It wiped out everything as per the message on the phone but as soon as I power it up, it goes to  the "Privacy Protection Password" Screen.  Is there anybody who can help me out please?

17 REPLIES 17

@Jim4 

Are you saying you have a google locked phone?

Jim4

I have the same problem, but have not been able to determine if it is a phone or a Google problem. The Privacy Protection Password request is the first thing that comes up. Reset the phone to factory; still asks for password (if I set it, it was 2 years ago and I can't remember it). Reloaded latest ROM, still the same request. I hate to throw away a perfectly good phone just because I can't remember the password. I don't think this is a Public Mobile problem, but some of the users may have come up against the same problem, and may have found a solution. Help!

saajid

Hi my Friends, just to let you guys know that, RCA is requestingg me to return the Phone to them and they will take care of it.

saajid

Thank you again.  I already emailed the Manufacturor all the info and now it is a waiting game.  Hope I will get some solutions and of course, I will post any solutions I get.  I just do not want anybody else going through the same problems.

@Korth wrote:

I think all you can do is send an email to RCA... Provide the phones' unique IMEI number, attach a screenshot (or photo of the screen). They should be able to give you a password or explain some way to workaround/disable the lock. (Please publish the solution here if it works, lol. ) 

I think all you can do is send an email to RCA... Provide the phones' unique IMEI number, attach a screenshot (or photo of the screen). They should be able to give you a password or explain some way to workaround/disable the lock. (Please publish the solution here if it works, lol. ) 

[Solution marked by Luddite >> this action led to recall of phone by mfg!]

saajid

0530 did not work but, thanks anyway.  Really appreciate your help.

@Korth wrote:

@saajid

This is RCA's implementation of something they call "Smart Lock". Once you click the feature on Settings it becomes active and bugs you forever. 

It apparently only allows 8 incorrect access attempts - and shows a countdown each time it decreases - I don't know what happens when it reaches zero.

Default password for these RCA devices is 0530 (it worked on a London Drugs RLTP6066 phone I gave to my parents). 

Thanks a lot for trying.  0530 did not work.

saajid

Did that.  Same thing.

@saajid

This is RCA's implementation of something they call "Smart Lock". Once you click the feature on Settings it becomes active and bugs you forever. 

It apparently only allows 8 incorrect access attempts - and shows a countdown each time it decreases - I don't know what happens when it reaches zero.

Default password for these RCA devices is 0530 (it worked on a London Drugs RLTP6066 phone I gave to my parents). 

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Reset the whole phone???

saajid

Tried that but, cannot even go to the screen to reset network setting screen.

88cranston

Just a shot in the dark. 

Reboot phone

Remove sim

Reset network settings 

Put Sim back in

Reboot Phone. 

@ajkm wrote:

AFAIK, PM SIMs don't have a lock code.

They do but it's not active unless you turn on for it to ask for it when putting sim in new phone or restarting the phone. Default is 1234.

saajid

My Phone is RCA RLTP 6066. I can use the same PM SIM in other phones and it works perfectly. My number is not Blacklisted and or not reported stolen.  When I turn on tghe phone it is always giving me a Numeric Keypad and asking me to enter Privacy Protection Password.

One more thing, I can receive all phone calls which means, if anybody calls my phone I am able to answer but cannot Dial, receive or send any Text Messages.

ajkm

Sounds to me like the passcode needed when starting the phone - i.e. the phone pin lockcode or swipe or whatever you have - rather than a SIM code.

It's only needed when the phone reboots after a power cycle - so if you don't switch it off very often (and I rarely do unless there's something going on that I need to clear), it's possible it was set some time ago.

If for some reason it is your previous SIM lock code, the PUK is usually on the plastic surround that the SIM was mounted in (I always keep them for this very reason).

ajkm

Sounds to me like the passcode needed when starting the phone - i.e. the phone pin lockcode or swipe or whatever you have - rather than a SIM code.

It's only needed when the phone reboots after a power cycle - so if you don't switch it off very often (and I rarely do unless there's something going on that I need to clear), it's possible it was set some time ago.

If for some reason it is your previous SIM lock code, the PUK is usually on the plastic surround that the SIM was mounted in (I always keep them for this very reason).

Try a different working SIM card in the phone. If it's still locked then it's the phone, if it's not still locked then its your PM SIM card. 

The phone will usually give you 3-10 incorrect guesses. Then it might blacklist itself (report itself as "lost/stolen") or "permanently" brick the firmware or invoke some other self-deactivation calamity which can only be reversed by the original manufacturer (for the original customer with the original receipt). Different manufacturers implement different details. 

So if you determine this passcode prompt is the phone then it's best to contact the manufacturer/vendor before you start guessing.

The SIM card will usually give you 3-5 incorrect guesses (3 at Public Mobile). Then it locks out the SIM card, maybe also the account and phone number. This is partly intended to secure/protect the subscriber's privacy (and the provider's liability on it) and partly intended to lockout access in a reversible way before too many wrong attempts lockout the device in a serious way.

So if you determine this passcode prompt is the SIM you should contact the PM Mods, request they issue a Personal Unlock Code (PUK). 

DanielleMarie

@saajid wrote:

Hi Friends, I am new in town but with Public mobile for last 7 years. I never had any problems before but a few days back I was having problems in sending Textg Messages, I could receive it but could not send it. So as per the Store sales person, I came home and removed the SIM Card, waited for a minuite and then inserted the SIM card, restarted the phone. Now I am stuck in the Screen asking me to enter "Privacy Protection Password" which I never set in my phone. I asked the Store people and they could not help me out.

I did the Hard Reset using the Volume and Power Button, It wiped out everything as per the message on the phone but as soon as I power it up, it goes to  the "Privacy Protection Password" Screen.  Is there anybody who can help me out please?

What model phone do you have?
If you take out the SIM card and turn on the phone is it still locked?
Maybe this link will be useful? https://visihow.com/Bypass_Privacy_Protection_Password_on_Android

Need Help? Let's chat.