cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Incompatibility | Vivo Y51

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello,

I am wondering if a Vivo Y51 is compatible with Public Mobile.

A quick Google search indicates to me that it should but then the website (https://willmyphonework.net/) says it will absolutely not work.

Do bands work separately or in tandem?

21 REPLIES 21

Obice

@gblackma  Right, I hear you.

Well I told him that PM has cheap plans and that they more/less "beat" the competition and he has decided today to give it a go and so far he is happy with it.

You are right @Obice . I was only pointing this out, in case your friend was buying this particular phone to use on PM. 

In addition, 😁😁even if you can't surf the net you can still text and once mobile data is enabled, send an mms text. Ie help me, I'm lost. So, in the long run, as long as your friend can call and text. Who cares if you have full data accessibility.😁😁

Obice

@gblackma  Fair enough.

This is when you phone a friend. :smileyvery-happy: Or as a very last resort 9-1-1.

@Obice the difference is that in areas where there is only 4g LTE data available, your friend will be unable to use it and have no data access.

Obice

@gblackma  To that I ask what is the difference? Public throttles our data to 3mb up and down on LTE any way.

Obice

@CannonFodder  I wasn't sure myself but trying is always best.

@CannonFodder If you looked at the link that I used, it also said 3g gsm band 1900 and I still will say that the data will only work on 3g, not 4g LTE.

@Obice wrote:

To confirm, his calling and texting works and his data also works.

Awesome! 👍  I totally thought it wouldn't FULLY work, based on the few supported bands on that phone..... actually trying it is the best way to find out.

Obice

To confirm, his calling and texting works and his data also works.

Obice

@CannonFodder  I am not sure. He said he would try to test everything "later". I'd do it myself but I'm helping remotely, so if he's done I'm done.

If he can send texts I don't know why he can't make calls, too.

He said he was going to "use up some airtime" so I presume he will know soon enough.

@Obice wrote:

I know it's working for him, he's able to text.

What about making & receiving calls?

@gblackma wrote:

@Obice If that's all that is required, then he should be okay.

Do you and @sunflowershine  KNOW this for a fact? I don't personally know enough about this stuff, but based on the frequencies that the phone supports, and what PM requires, it appears that on 3G that phone supports ONLY 850 Mhz..... 🤔 

@Obice wrote:

Thanks for the input, I searched all that though so I guess I just have to put the SIM in and find out.

THAT sounds like the best idea.... let us know what you find out.

Obice

I know it's working for him, he's able to text.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Obice If it is for talk and text, it should be fine. 

@Obice If that's all that is required, then he should be okay.

Obice

Thanks for the input, I searched all that though so I guess I just have to put the SIM in and find out.

This is for someone I know, it's not mine. So if it doesn't work on theirs I guess we'll have to figure out something.

Overall, he just needs the ability to talk and text.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile works on following frequencies: 

• For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 1700MHz/2100MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 700 MHz band

Based on these specs https://en.gsm.cool/specs/vivo-y51  @Obice. The phone is 3g compatible only. So you will be able to talk and text everywhere and only use data where 3g is available. Any places with  LTE only, data will be unavailable.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Obice Based on VIVO Y51 spec. and what PM's network requirements listed below, it should be fine. 

NETWORK

TechnologyGSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
4G bandsLTE 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 - Malaysia
 LTE 900 / 1800 / 2100 - Thailand, Indonesia
SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps

Check Your Phone's Compatibility

To test whether your phone i’s compatibility with our network and not marked as lost or stolen, click here.Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Please note that this information is indicative only. Your phone's compatibility with our 4G or 4G LTE networks is based on the radio frequencies of your phone. Public Mobile does not guarantee that your phone will work on our mobile network.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Obice wrote:

Hello,

I am wondering if a Vivo Y51 is compatible with Public Mobile.

A quick Google search indicates to me that it should but then the website (https://willmyphonework.net/) says it will absolutely not work.

Yes, that site shows it absolutely won't work, and based on what I see here: https://www.gsmarena.com/vivo_y51-7785.php  I think it might be correct.

You can also check out this thread on the forums, and do a little comparison.... it seems like that phone has only a few bands that PM uses: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581/page... 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Obice 

Which frequencies are supported?

They have versions that do and don't

You need 850 and 1900 MHz umts for talk

LTE would be 2,4,7 the more the better

Need Help? Let's chat.