cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible SIM swap

Pigma
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I believe I've been the victim of a SIM swap attack. Here are the series of events that leaves me to believe this (I work in IT security, so I'm somewhat familiar with these attacks):

1. Suddenly, my phone wasn't connecting to any Public Mobile network (I'm not talking about Wifi or Cellular Data, I mean the actual Public Mobile network directly).

2. My Gmail account was suddenly bombarded with registrations to new websites and services, including a PayPal account registration.

3. I visited a store that serves Public Mobile clients, and they didn't know what a SIM swap was, so I opted to purchase a new SIM card to change it myself.

4. I opened my Public Mobile profile/account via the website, and noticed that the SIM card that was registered didn't match with the one in my cellphone.

5. I changed to the new SIM card, and my phone started working again, however:

6. My number is now different that the one I've used in the past decade with Public Mobile.

7. I went back to the store and they were just as confused as I was, and suggested I post here.

My question is, what do I do now if I can't go into any store since those don't exist anymore, and those who resell don't have access to anything.

31 REPLIES 31

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma contact customer support mods

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

if you would like some security I suggest following these instructions

create an email strictly for public mobile
change your name and address on your self serve account
don't use your personal email password for the pm website
don't use a password manager(chrome, safari, etc. apps these are easily hacked
don't use your cellphone number as a 2fa for banks, PayPal etc

Need Help? Let's chat.