cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Possible SIM swap

I believe I've been the victim of a SIM swap attack. Here are the series of events that leaves me to believe this (I work in IT security, so I'm somewhat familiar with these attacks):

1. Suddenly, my phone wasn't connecting to any Public Mobile network (I'm not talking about Wifi or Cellular Data, I mean the actual Public Mobile network directly).

2. My Gmail account was suddenly bombarded with registrations to new websites and services, including a PayPal account registration.

3. I visited a store that serves Public Mobile clients, and they didn't know what a SIM swap was, so I opted to purchase a new SIM card to change it myself.

4. I opened my Public Mobile profile/account via the website, and noticed that the SIM card that was registered didn't match with the one in my cellphone.

5. I changed to the new SIM card, and my phone started working again, however:

6. My number is now different that the one I've used in the past decade with Public Mobile.

7. I went back to the store and they were just as confused as I was, and suggested I post here.

My question is, what do I do now if I can't go into any store since those don't exist anymore, and those who resell don't have access to anything.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Possible SIM swap

@Pigma contact customer support mods

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

if you would like some security I suggest following these instructions

create an email strictly for public mobile
change your name and address on your self serve account
don't use your personal email password for the pm website
don't use a password manager(chrome, safari, etc. apps these are easily hacked
don't use your cellphone number as a 2fa for banks, PayPal etc

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma contact customer support mods

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

if you would like some security I suggest following these instructions

create an email strictly for public mobile
change your name and address on your self serve account
don't use your personal email password for the pm website
don't use a password manager(chrome, safari, etc. apps these are easily hacked
don't use your cellphone number as a 2fa for banks, PayPal etc

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for your swift response!  😃

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Pigma ,

So sorry, this does not sound good.

Can you still log into your SELF SERVE account?

When you check your SELF SERVE account does your the 4 digits listed there match the last four digits of your SIM in your phone?

You can find this under "Change Sim Card" on your Overview account:

esjliv_0-1596590590569.png

If the numbers are different, let the moderators know this, and start changing your passwords with PM accounts, banking, etc.

Highlighted

I can still login to the self-serve account and have changed my password everywhere.

However, my Gmail uses my phone number as 2FA but also has Google Auth as a backup for events like these.

The last 4 digits for the SIM card in the Self-Serve now match the SIM cards I just purchase moments ago, but when verifying beforehand, it didn't, indicating to me that I was indeed being SIM swapped attacked.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma wrote:

I can still login to the self-serve account and have changed my password everywhere.

However, my Gmail uses my phone number as 2FA but also has Google Auth as a backup for events like these.

The last 4 digits for the SIM card in the Self-Serve now match the SIM cards I just purchase moments ago, but when verifying beforehand, it didn't, indicating to me that I was indeed being SIM swapped attacked.

@Pigma ,

Make sure to change your security questions, if you have any as well.

Let the moderators know about this, though the link @gpixel4 provided.

I hope you stopped the fraudsters in their tracks!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma mods will help you with your phone number. for the future reference, don't register your personal email. use a burner account. ask mods to change your email for you. anyways you can opt out of the 2 step verification

• go to Gmail click on your profile picture
  • click manage your Google account
  • look under the security tab and you should find the options "use your phone number to sign in" and "2 step verification" turn them both off
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Pigma sorry to hear this had happened to you.  The stores cannot help you as they don't have access to your account.  Follow the suggestions already given by @gpixel4 and @esjliv  and contact the moderators to fix it for you.  I hope it's not too late to get back your old phone number.  Take care and good luck!  

Highlighted

Done!

Thank you.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma  The name on your selfserve account is insignificant and not worth worrying about.

Change the password on your selfserve account immediately and use a strong password.

Secure your Gmail account because it may have also been compromised.

Call your bank, cc company and freeze your accounts.

Secure all your other online accounts and use an authenticator app when possible.

Good luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.