cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nbrud
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Porting Canadian phone number from Magicjack problems

A couple of months ago, maybe a bit longer, i talked with magicjack customer service.  They told me that I couldn't port their number.  So I was suprized to see that PM was able to get me to this point.  By expired canadian number I mean that my account with MJ is active, I have 2 MJ units on the same account with 2 Canadian phone numbers.  I no longer use 1 of the units, and the phone number subscription expired in July for that one Canadian number.

Would a moderator here be able to just allow me to select a new PM number instead?  I just want to get this going.  My main reason for wanting to use the MJ Canadian number is the area code.  Manitoba started about a year ago issuing out a new area code, and instead of dividing territories with the second area code, they just made it a second for the entire province.  PM still have the old area codes, so I would just like to switch to that.  My son just got a new PM number and it would be good if they had the same first 6 digits.

@nbrud wrote:

A couple of months ago, maybe a bit longer, i talked with magicjack customer service.  They told me that I couldn't port their number.  So I was suprized to see that PM was able to get me to this point.  By expired canadian number I mean that my account with MJ is active, I have 2 MJ units on the same account with 2 Canadian phone numbers.  I no longer use 1 of the units, and the phone number subscription expired in July for that one Canadian number.

Would a moderator here be able to just allow me to select a new PM number instead?  I just want to get this going.  My main reason for wanting to use the MJ Canadian number is the area code.  Manitoba started about a year ago issuing out a new area code, and instead of dividing territories with the second area code, they just made it a second for the entire province.  PM still have the old area codes, so I would just like to switch to that.  My son just got a new PM number and it would be good if they had the same first 6 digits.

To my knowledge, a carrier cannot refuse to let go of a phone number.

But sure, you always just choose a  new phone number.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@nbrud

Just a tip:  If you are not porting a number from elsewhere, it's best to spend some extra time selecting a good number during activation instead of counting on changing the number later in the PM self-serve account.  PM shows you plenty of numbers to choose from only at activation time. They'll even let you do a custom search for availability of the last 4 digits. However, if you want to change your new number later, they will only show you five choices at a time, and no last 4 digits customization. Another difference I saw during my own activation was, the number selector still included 647 area codes for Toronto, for example, but only showed 437 area codes afterward when I looked at the 'change phone number' tool after activation. Your mileage may vary for your city, however. 

ellixa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was able to successfully port my magicjack number to PM.  It took two days but now I can send/receive phone calls and text messages.

Just to note that the number I ported was active on magicjack (it was not expired)

Need Help? Let's chat.