cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Canadian phone number from Magicjack problems

nbrud
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I am a new subscriber.  Just activated my sim card and ported over a current but expired phone number I have on one of my magicjack accounts.  When I signed up with PM it went through the transfer no problem.  Now on my phone, I can make calls, and on the receiving phone, my caller ID shows up as the magicjack number.  I can also send and receive text messages.  No problem.  But I cannot receive calls.  The caller gets sent directly to the magicjack voicemail.  So I never receive any calls.  I did find a setting in my MagicJack account to turn of voicemail forwarding, but it still goes to VM.  Also my Magicjack number that I ported has expired last month (they charge $10 US per year for a Canadian #).  Any help on getting my phone to receive calls?

15 REPLIES 15

LouisAI

Hi. I wanna ask if this was sorted? How did you get it fixed? Thanks.

I'm in this situation now.

LouisAI

Hi, I am having the same issue. How did you get this resolved? Thanks.

ellixa

I was able to successfully port my magicjack number to PM.  It took two days but now I can send/receive phone calls and text messages.

Just to note that the number I ported was active on magicjack (it was not expired)

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@nbrud

Just a tip:  If you are not porting a number from elsewhere, it's best to spend some extra time selecting a good number during activation instead of counting on changing the number later in the PM self-serve account.  PM shows you plenty of numbers to choose from only at activation time. They'll even let you do a custom search for availability of the last 4 digits. However, if you want to change your new number later, they will only show you five choices at a time, and no last 4 digits customization. Another difference I saw during my own activation was, the number selector still included 647 area codes for Toronto, for example, but only showed 437 area codes afterward when I looked at the 'change phone number' tool after activation. Your mileage may vary for your city, however. 

@nbrud wrote:

A couple of months ago, maybe a bit longer, i talked with magicjack customer service.  They told me that I couldn't port their number.  So I was suprized to see that PM was able to get me to this point.  By expired canadian number I mean that my account with MJ is active, I have 2 MJ units on the same account with 2 Canadian phone numbers.  I no longer use 1 of the units, and the phone number subscription expired in July for that one Canadian number.

Would a moderator here be able to just allow me to select a new PM number instead?  I just want to get this going.  My main reason for wanting to use the MJ Canadian number is the area code.  Manitoba started about a year ago issuing out a new area code, and instead of dividing territories with the second area code, they just made it a second for the entire province.  PM still have the old area codes, so I would just like to switch to that.  My son just got a new PM number and it would be good if they had the same first 6 digits.

To my knowledge, a carrier cannot refuse to let go of a phone number.

But sure, you always just choose a  new phone number.

nbrud

A couple of months ago, maybe a bit longer, i talked with magicjack customer service.  They told me that I couldn't port their number.  So I was suprized to see that PM was able to get me to this point.  By expired canadian number I mean that my account with MJ is active, I have 2 MJ units on the same account with 2 Canadian phone numbers.  I no longer use 1 of the units, and the phone number subscription expired in July for that one Canadian number.

Would a moderator here be able to just allow me to select a new PM number instead?  I just want to get this going.  My main reason for wanting to use the MJ Canadian number is the area code.  Manitoba started about a year ago issuing out a new area code, and instead of dividing territories with the second area code, they just made it a second for the entire province.  PM still have the old area codes, so I would just like to switch to that.  My son just got a new PM number and it would be good if they had the same first 6 digits.

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@MoreYummy wrote:

If your magic jack service isnt working, you cant port it out.  

Does magic jack allow something like this happen?

Yeah I'm very surprised that you can port a MJ number!

If your magic jack service isnt working, you cant port it out.  

Does magic jack allow something like this happen?

@nbrud wrote:

Hi, I am a new subscriber.  Just activated my sim card and ported over a current but expired phone number I have on one of my magicjack accounts.  When I signed up with PM it went through the transfer no problem.  Now on my phone, I can make calls, and on the receiving phone, my caller ID shows up as the magicjack number.  I can also send and receive text messages.  No problem.  But I cannot receive calls.  The caller gets sent directly to the magicjack voicemail. 

The part that Public Mobile tells you "sucessful" or whatever the wording is on the compter screen is does not mean that your phone number has been transfered.  It only means that Public Mobile has assigned the phone number to your account and that request has been submited to the originating carrier of the phone number. 

It's actually outgoing calls that work imediately.  Incoming calls never work until the carreir that the phone number is coming from approves the request.   So the fact that incoming calls are going to your Magicjack voicemail is normal.  Things will continue like this until the number portability request is complete.

I am unsure what you mean when you say your Magicjack number is expired. If it is expired, I would imagine that the voicemail should no longer work.  A phone number must be active to transfer to another carrier.  If it is not active, the phone number porting processs will fail.

Magicjack would be considered a landline under number portability guidelines.  As such, there is no such expectation for a number port to be completed within 24 hours.  In fact. The Canadian Telecommunications Association mentions 2 business days.  Now, that doesn't mean that it can't be quicker or longer, but landline (and voip-like) numbers do usually take considerably longer to transfer than wireless phone numbers.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Typically when porting a number the account needs to be active so I believe  it's strange that calls are coming in.  Calls going typically right away.

nbrud

Everyone has good suggestions.  Waiting 24 hours or at least overnight for full connections, however I think Magicjack may also be very posessive of their phone numbers.  I mean, I do have to pay to keep it.

jclaydon2018
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm actually thinking that this might be a quirk of magic jack, because I have a magic jack number, and when i was using it to call my PM # to see if it had ported correctly, it would first go straight to voicemail, and now that my # from Virgin is fully ported, i   can send and recieve phone calls from any number, except my magic jack #. If i calling using that, it says that the number has been disconnected. *shrug*

-James

Suggest waiting over night to see if port completes.  If unable to receive calls by tomorrow, might need to contact moderators for incomplete port.  Moderators have been busy so it will likely take about 1 day for moderators to respond to issues.  

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Normally incoming calls work instantly but might take 24 hours for the port to fully commit. Translations aren't yet pointing to your Public Mobile network.

Need Help? Let's chat.