cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor reception, is a better/different SIM card provided by Public Mobile?

tendermario
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, since getting the new Pixel 3, my reception has gone to dropping-level quality in a regular apartment. I didn't have this issue with my previous phone. I've contacted Google support and one of the troubleshoot steps is asking my carrier if they have a different SIM card that would be more compatible with the network.

Let me know so I can isolate if it is my phone's reception, or if there's some SIM card-related solution. Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Every carrier has different generation of sim cards.  Some old sims from other carriers do not work with LTE, but all Public sims do.  Wind used to have some older sim cards that didn't work with overeas roaming.  Other times, it is just different color or different supplier.  Newer sim cards can have more memeory to save messages or phone numbers in.  New sim won't make signal better.  A new sim can sometimes help if the contacts are worn and the connection is being lost from being dirty or worn out, but that is because something is wrong with old sim,  not becauase there are better type of sim.

@slash407 wrote:

those numbers dont mean anything, phones have become a joke when it comes to actual voice communication. The signal bars dont mean anything these days its just for show and niether do the, settings, about phone, signal strength info. They just make crappy phones when it comes to convos especially google from what i read.

Those numbers are accurate and useful. Signal bars for LTE are based on the measured RSRP, which is the reference signal power. This is one of the most useful measurements for a cell phone, and is used by the network to determine when to perform handovers, among other functions. I'm not sure why you think the numbers don't mean anything.

@tendermario,

I'll add my voice to the others: SIM card makes no difference to the signal. Also, voice calls will always be on 3G for Public Mobile, until they launch VoLTE. Personally, my Pixel 3 has great reception all over the GTA. Indoors and outdoors. We can thank Bell for that 🙂

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@tendermario

You say that this SIM performed well on your old phone. Wonder if have still have access to the old phone: if yes, try again to confirm that this SIM is still performing OK. Alternatively, if you have temporary access to another phone (like a friend etc) , try inserting this SIM on that phone to give it a quick evaluation.

And if the old SIM performs OK on other phones, it's the new phone that needs further investigation.

bud21ca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The Pixel3 is known to have signal issues. I have a few friends that are using that phone who have reception issues.

tendermario

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@tendermario, I would start watching your reception in all places if it is a new phone, maybe a loose antenna or something.

The reception seems to be alright outside of buildings or in low-rises. I'm on the third floor of a 6 floor apartment, for reference. It's definitely odd. Maybe it is a loose antenna. Hopefully it's not the case for all Pixel 3 phones.

@tendermario wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Nope; all the SIMs are the same. Try setting your network to 3G. Where I live that is a more stable signal than LTE.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried that as well. It has a bit better of a signal strength (like around -70 dBm compared to -110 dBm), but the quality of the calls were identical, oddly enough. Okay, if all the SIM cards are the same, that's all I need to know. Thanks!

All calls are on the 3G network.  The suggestion is only for data.  Nice of Google to pass the buck on.  The pixel products are supposed to be top shelf merchandise.  At least the pricing suggests so. 

@tendermario, I would start watching your reception in all places if it is a new phone, maybe a loose antenna or something.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

tendermario

@Luddite wrote:

Nope; all the SIMs are the same. Try setting your network to 3G. Where I live that is a more stable signal than LTE.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried that as well. It has a bit better of a signal strength (like around -70 dBm compared to -110 dBm), but the quality of the calls were identical, oddly enough. Okay, if all the SIM cards are the same, that's all I need to know. Thanks!

tendermario
@ShawnC13 wrote:

If your old phone with the same sim worked with good reception but  now with the new phone and same sim you aren't getting the same reception I would think this is a phone issue and not a sim/network issue.

I definitely agree, which is why I reached out to them first, but they told me to reach out to my carrier in case they have a SIM card that works better with this specific phone. I didn't realize this but, allegedly, some carriers have different SIM cards that work better with certain phones.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

If your old phone with the same sim worked with good reception but  now with the new phone and same sim you aren't getting the same reception I would think this is a phone issue and not a sim/network issue.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.