cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Reception on Samsung A31 After Update 2 months ago

mgrey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been having an on-going issue with a Samsung A31 that had a carrier update about 2 months ago, before the update the phone worked without any reception issues.

Since the update, I constantly miss calls, can't make calls. I've factory reset the phone, cleared the cache, gone into the network settings and changed the network modes, placed other 2 other sims from Public Mobile into the phone and have the same reception issues. Placing a SIM from Rogers into the phone, no problem making and receiving calls. Placed the SIM from the phone into another phone, and no problems making/receiving calls. I've done absolutely everything I can think of to get the reception issue resolved. I don't believe it to be a SIM issue. Have utilized the Network Cell Info app and it is showing approximately -124 dBm on the LTE band. At times it will switch to the HSPA band and provide a signal around -80, but I can't get it to stay on that band or anything that help to improve the reception. The issue is the same inside as well as outside. Any help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

@mgrey wrote:

SIM's from 2 other peoples phones that are active. I've only ever placed 1 SIM in the phone at a time.

@mgrey  you meant it's the same result when you put 2 other SIM from your friends?  if so, are your friends PM or other providers?  What are their providers?

did you put your PM sim in another phone and test it in the same area... is that the same or any better?

mgrey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

SIM's from 2 other peoples phones that are active. I've only ever placed 1 SIM in the phone at a time.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mgrey  since it is a all good before the update, I would assume it is more a Samsung issue than PM.  

you mentioned you tried other PM sim on this phone and same result.  How about if you put the PM sim on other phones, are the reception all good again?

I think you might want to open a ticket with Samsung as well... although likely they wont do anything other than to have you wait for their next big update.

@mgrey 

Samsung is keeping mum on this issue. The thread was locked on the samsung community with this being the only response A31 users recieved.

Dear Samsung Member,

Greetings from Samsung Customer Support!

We would request you to register your concern in Samsung Members Application. So, that our concern team gets back to you as soon as possible.

Please follow this path to register your concern in Samsung Members Application (Open Samsung Members Application > Get help > Send Feedback > Error report/Ask questions).

Note. please attach the error log file within 15 minutes of the error occurred.

Thank you for writing to Samsung.

Warm Regards,
Samsung Customer Support

Here are reported issues with the latest updates from samsung.

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/05/21/samsung-one-ui-3-0-android-11-update-bugs-issues-tracker/#One%20UI...

This is a possible fix for your issues:

A. Wipe Cache Partition.

Steps to perform.

1) Turn off the device.

(Connect with type C cable and connect with pc/laptop or type c earphone only for Android 11 )
...........OR.......
IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER MOBILE THEN CONNECT WITH CABLE WHETHER IT IS TYPE C TO TYPE C OR MICRO USB PORT take help of otg connector to connect with other mobile.

2) Press and hold the Volume Up key and the spower button.
3) When the Android logo displays, release all keys.
4) Press the Volume down key to navigate and select "Wipe cache partition".
5) Press Power key to select. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Select Reboot System.
6) Press the Power key to restart the device.

B. Reset App Preferences.
Settings >Apps> Tap on Top Right 3Dots and select Reset App preferences.

C. Go to settings >general Management >reset>reset settings.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mgrey wrote:

placed other 2 other sims from Public Mobile into the phone and have the same reception issues.

@mgrey wait a second...what do you mean by this statement above?

Are these two other ACTIVE Public Mobile accounts from other people?

Or are you using new SIMs that are not activated. You can only have one ACTIVE SIM card for one account at a time, so I am a bit confused by this statement.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mgrey : Do you mean like Android 11? Have another look for any newer updates.

Maybe try setting the phone to WCDMA only. It is curious that a Rogers SIM worked fine and that your SIM worked fine in another phone.

I have the A315F international version (from UAE of all places).

Unfortunately I'm such a low usage customer that I wouldn't know if I'm missing calls to begin with 🙂 but with the few times I've fiddled with things it works fine.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mgrey if you are not in Manitoba area that is affected, you could ask the Moderators to check your account (maybe a reprovision of it would reset something).

If sounds almost like a failed port...but you are having some services that are working is that correct??

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mgrey wrote:

I've been having an on-going issue with a Samsung A31 that had a carrier update about 2 months ago, before the update the phone worked without any reception issues.

Since the update, I constantly miss calls, can't make calls. I've factory reset the phone, cleared the cache, gone into the network settings and changed the network modes, placed other 2 other sims from Public Mobile into the phone and have the same reception issues. Placing a SIM from Rogers into the phone, no problem making and receiving calls. Placed the SIM from the phone into another phone, and no problems making/receiving calls. I've done absolutely everything I can think of to get the reception issue resolved. I don't believe it to be a SIM issue. Have utilized the Network Cell Info app and it is showing approximately -124 dBm on the LTE band. At times it will switch to the HSPA band and provide a signal around -80, but I can't get it to stay on that band or anything that help to improve the reception. The issue is the same inside as well as outside. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you in Manitoba per chance ?

Need Help? Let's chat.