cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help how to set Android 6 phone for data usage?

RossRoss
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yesterday got the Home Public Mobile plan with 1GB data but I can't get any data so far and  I need data access with my phone in order to keep my job

I followed the support chat instructions for Android but the settings  mentioned  there do not completely match mine.

this is what the live support chart instructions are:

Here’s how to set up data in 3 steps:
1) Tap:
➡ Settings
➡ More
➡ Access Point Names
➡ New APN Settings
2) Input this info:
➡ Name: Public Mobile
➡ APN: sp.mb.com
➡ MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
➡ MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
➡ MMS port: 80
➡ MCC: 302
➡ MNC: 220
3) Leave all the other fields blank. Just hit save, and you’re good to go!

I don't have MMSC proxy on my Android 6 phone settings

the closest settings with similar names  are just ‘proxy’ and ‘MMS proxy’ I tried putting 74.49.0.18 in each one at a time and in both but still can’t get data access.

Also when I turn on my phone the service status is reported as ‘Public Mobile emergency calls only’ However I am able to call all different phone number that  I tried. And also the cellular signals from the service is strong.

by the way if this is of any help, my phone has currently two SIM cards. The other is Freedom Mobile which uses a data plan and data is working with this provider and I can’t remember making any changers to the settings. Maybe the people in the Freedom Mobile shop did that because when they gave me the phone they test it if it works. I bought my Public Mobile SIM card from a Mobile Shop in a Real Canadian Super store and the person who sold the SIM card to me said that he has to initiate my service by filling the online forms for me but all the changes to the phone he made was just to plug the SIM card after I opened the phone and  that was it. No test was done if the SIM card or service works.

Comparing the cellular signal between the two SIM cards shows that Public has stronger cellular signals than Freedom mobile which on many places in downtown Toronto goes to two even one bar. Like going in underground parking the Freedom Mobile signal is almost gone while Public is quite strong. This is great but I can’t enjoy it if I can’t figure out how to access the data.

I will greatly appreciate any help with this

Ross

32 REPLIES 32

Aprime
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I assume you've attempted rebooting the phone?

Are you knowledgeable as to whether or not your phone is SIM unlocked?

What model is it? Should we require more details, can you provide the actual model number? Sometimes people have phones purchased from overseas sources and some bands just don't work properly.

This should help us help you resolve your issue. 🙂

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It is strange that it says emergency calls only. Try these APN settings and don't forget to save.

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC:http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220