cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help how to set Android 6 phone for data usage?

RossRoss
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yesterday got the Home Public Mobile plan with 1GB data but I can't get any data so far and  I need data access with my phone in order to keep my job

I followed the support chat instructions for Android but the settings  mentioned  there do not completely match mine.

this is what the live support chart instructions are:

Here’s how to set up data in 3 steps:
1) Tap:
➡ Settings
➡ More
➡ Access Point Names
➡ New APN Settings
2) Input this info:
➡ Name: Public Mobile
➡ APN: sp.mb.com
➡ MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
➡ MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
➡ MMS port: 80
➡ MCC: 302
➡ MNC: 220
3) Leave all the other fields blank. Just hit save, and you’re good to go!

I don't have MMSC proxy on my Android 6 phone settings

the closest settings with similar names  are just ‘proxy’ and ‘MMS proxy’ I tried putting 74.49.0.18 in each one at a time and in both but still can’t get data access.

Also when I turn on my phone the service status is reported as ‘Public Mobile emergency calls only’ However I am able to call all different phone number that  I tried. And also the cellular signals from the service is strong.

by the way if this is of any help, my phone has currently two SIM cards. The other is Freedom Mobile which uses a data plan and data is working with this provider and I can’t remember making any changers to the settings. Maybe the people in the Freedom Mobile shop did that because when they gave me the phone they test it if it works. I bought my Public Mobile SIM card from a Mobile Shop in a Real Canadian Super store and the person who sold the SIM card to me said that he has to initiate my service by filling the online forms for me but all the changes to the phone he made was just to plug the SIM card after I opened the phone and  that was it. No test was done if the SIM card or service works.

Comparing the cellular signal between the two SIM cards shows that Public has stronger cellular signals than Freedom mobile which on many places in downtown Toronto goes to two even one bar. Like going in underground parking the Freedom Mobile signal is almost gone while Public is quite strong. This is great but I can’t enjoy it if I can’t figure out how to access the data.

I will greatly appreciate any help with this

Ross

32 REPLIES 32

@RossRoss

Great to hear.  At least a partial solution.  Thank for updating us.  It might be helpful in the future for other customers. 

You are not the only one that have had issues with dual SIM card phones in the past.   

RossRoss

Finally it works. I turned off the phone, removed  the Freedom mobile sim card, the PM sim card remained in slot 1, turned on the phone, checked the APN settings to make sure they were as suggested here, and it worked. If I remember correctly, I did try that at least once before but maybe the APN type field was empty. This was also what the moderator suggested - to run the phone only with the PM sim card. The moderator also said that they tried to push the APN setting from their end but were  unable to do so due to the phone's phone. I have no idea what phone's phone means and I also have no idea if actually they changed something with their attempt to push the APN settings from their and that made the phone work.

However, now when I insert the Freedom mobile sim card in slot 2 where it has always been, I can't use it at all even to make and receive calls. The phone shows a message ‘no cellular networks'. If I turn the data on for Freedom mobile, I can use it as before - make/receive calls and access data but this turns off the Public mobile service completely showing the same message ‘No cellular networks’. The phone is supposed to work by using both cards for making/receiving calls and data only from one of the sim cards that is selected in the settings.

Anyway the main problem is solved and except the transition period, I won’t be using two sim cards anyway.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hi @RossRoss,

We've replied to your message. Please check your inbox.

Best,

Syed

Nice to see MOD come to help 👍

Should have said something here,so we can learn and help others in the future 🤗

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @RossRoss,

We've replied to your message. Please check your inbox.

Best,

Syed

@RossRoss wrote:

Thank you for the help @will13am

I definitly will try your suggestion once I figure out which is slot 1 and which is slot 2.

By the way how did you figure out from the link you posted earler that the SIM slots are different. I checked it but didn't find that

https://www.gsmarena.com/acer_liquid_zest-7955.php

Not totally sure.  Going a bit by your reported test results.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RossRoss wrote:

I definitly will try your suggestion once I figure out which is slot 1 and which is slot 2.

By the way how did you figure out from the link you posted earler that the SIM slots are different. I checked it but didn't find that

Edit: Rats. I looked at just the Zest. There's also a Zest 4G and a Zest Plus. 4G is opposite. Plus is upper 1 lower 2 with the microsd on the other side.

According to the owners manual the sim slots are #1 left upper back by the microsd slot (the microsd slot is yet higher up). #2 right upper back. You're not trying a sim in the microsd slot are you? 🙂

Something of possible interest...you can't run data on the second sim if you're running data on the first.

RossRoss

Thank you @Dunkman I really appreciate this

Very very helpful information. I send the moderater a message with a link to this thread and all the required information.

RossRoss

@RossRoss wrote:

Thank you for helping guys but unfortunatly still no luck

I switched the slots of the SIM cards but that didn't make a difference. PM still no data access. FM still can access data as before. Checked the manual https://goo.gl/jQUdgw but no mentioning that SIM slots are different.

The manual says pretty much the same thing for any android phone.  Try this, insert only the Public Mobile SIM into slot 1, leave slot 2 empty.  Go the the APN tab, click the + sign to add APN, use instructions from earlier posts in this thread to populate the APN fields.  Do not leave APN type field empty.  Add default,supl,mms in the APN type field.  Save this APN, select it by clicking the radio button.  Reboot, check preferred network type, select LTE preferred if available, else 3G.  If this doesn't work, I have no solution other than try a different phone. 

The IME checker is not really accurate unfortunately.  

Have you contacted a public mobile moderator?  They might have an answer for you, but the wait times are about 48 hours.  

send a private message through the following link :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Include your phone number, account number and PIN.

@RossRoss wrote:

By the way when I put the IMEI numbers of both SIM slots on the online phone validation for the Public mobile services the result is compatible phone. So, someone at Public Mobile must have tested the phone and knows what settings makes this phone work but the challenge is how I can get that information.

The IMEI checker doesn't check for compatibility it checks to see if the phone is lost or stolen and on the blacklist.  We have asked for this to be removed many times.  www.willmyphonework.net is a much better site for compatibility

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

RossRoss

By the way when I put the IMEI numbers of both SIM slots on the online phone validation for the Public mobile services the result is compatible phone. So, someone at Public Mobile must have tested the phone and knows what settings makes this phone work but the challenge is how I can get that information.

RossRoss

What also happened which I noticed now is after I switched the slot of the Freedom mobile SIM card I recieved a message from them that new sim card has been detected and they are sending settings to configure the data access and they gave a code number that I shoud use for the update.I haven't done anything like that yet but the data access was already working with Freedom before I got that message

edit: I guess this ensures that if I try Network and Default reset, and plug the Freedom mobile SIM after that they will send the required settings to make it work.

RossRoss

Thank you for helping guys but unfortunatly still no luck

I switched the slots of the SIM cards but that didn't make a difference. PM still no data access. FM still can access data as before. Checked the manual https://goo.gl/jQUdgw but no mentioning that SIM slots are different.

@RossRoss wrote:

Thank you for your reply @Dunkman

I removed the Freedom SIM card but unfortunatly still no data. Tthe only difference (improvement) was that when I turn on the phone with only PM SIM the service status is reported as Public Mobile and not as Public Mobile Emergency calls only which in effect makes no difference because I'm able to call any phone in both cases.

Did you put the Public Mobile SIM card in slot 1 and check that the APN settings are as discussed earlier in the thread for SIM 1?  SIM 2 will not work with any of your SIM cards. 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@RossRoss wrote:

@Wonder_why and @Dunkman

I searched Google for Network reset and Factory reset and it appears that they are two different things. And it looks like this is my last resort. But I'm afraid this is risky because my phone has another sim card currently in use with Freedom Mobile that works maybe because it was installed with the appropriate settings from the worker in the Freedom mobile shop. If I try network reset and factory default this may erase the settings needed for Freedom mobile to work properly and I may end up with both sim cards from Public and Freedom mobile useless. If that's the case I can't risk losing both services.

The reason I got Public mobile service is because I need urgently  higher data limit. My Freedom mobile plan is $25 for unlimited talk and messages in Canada plus 250MB fast internet data where they have coverage.  Three days ago I started work that  requires cell phone with about 40-50MB data per business day. So I need 1GB per month. So I decided to get Public mobile $30 plan with 1GB fast data while meanwhile still keeping the Freedom mobile during the transition period. It will be very sad  if I can’t get the Public data to work with my phone. If the data access was possible for $30 I would have the 1GB + better coverage and stronger signal with Public. But if I can’t make it work the closest Freedom mobile has is $40 for 2G which I won’t use anyway. But I have only 75MB data left on my current Freedom plan which will be enough only for tomorrow and  by Thursday I either have to have  the Public data access working or cancel the service and upgrade my current Freedom mobile plan. And I don’t have much time for fixing since my work plus the commute is from 7AM to 7PM

It will be very sad if I can’t make the Public service work.

I will greatly appreciate any advice and suggestions what to do in my situation.

There is the key factor I would check the specs on your phone as some dual Sim phones the second sim slot is 2G and that could be why your phone won't connect to the network

^^^This^^^.  SIM 2 is 2G only.  Neither Public Mobile nor Freedom have a 2G network. 

RossRoss

Thank you for your reply @Dunkman

I removed the Freedom SIM card but unfortunatly still no data. Tthe only difference (improvement) was that when I turn on the phone with only PM SIM the service status is reported as Public Mobile and not as Public Mobile Emergency calls only which in effect makes no difference because I'm able to call any phone in both cases.

@RossRoss wrote:

@Wonder_why and @Dunkman

I searched Google for Network reset and Factory reset and it appears that they are two different things. And it looks like this is my last resort. But I'm afraid this is risky because my phone has another sim card currently in use with Freedom Mobile that works maybe because it was installed with the appropriate settings from the worker in the Freedom mobile shop. If I try network reset and factory default this may erase the settings needed for Freedom mobile to work properly and I may end up with both sim cards from Public and Freedom mobile useless. If that's the case I can't risk losing both services.

The reason I got Public mobile service is because I need urgently  higher data limit. My Freedom mobile plan is $25 for unlimited talk and messages in Canada plus 250MB fast internet data where they have coverage.  Three days ago I started work that  requires cell phone with about 40-50MB data per business day. So I need 1GB per month. So I decided to get Public mobile $30 plan with 1GB fast data while meanwhile still keeping the Freedom mobile during the transition period. It will be very sad  if I can’t get the Public data to work with my phone. If the data access was possible for $30 I would have the 1GB + better coverage and stronger signal with Public. But if I can’t make it work the closest Freedom mobile has is $40 for 2G which I won’t use anyway. But I have only 75MB data left on my current Freedom plan which will be enough only for tomorrow and  by Thursday I either have to have  the Public data access working or cancel the service and upgrade my current Freedom mobile plan. And I don’t have much time for fixing since my work plus the commute is from 7AM to 7PM

I will greatly appreciate any advice and suggestions what to do in my situation.

There is the key factor I would check the specs on your phone as some dual Sim phones the second sim slot is 2G and that could be why your phone won't connect to the network

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Maybe the more experienced Oracle can offer you a more knowledgeable advice.  @will13am@ShawnC13

I am not an expert in the technical aspects of setting up the data configuration.  

Network reset is not as drastic change as factory reset.  I would try that first.  Might be the issue with the dual sim part of the phone system.  Have you tried removing the Freedom mobile Sim and just use the PM sim.  

RossRoss

@Wonder_why and @Dunkman

Wonder_why

@RossRoss try factory default easy way but take little of pain 😁😋

Wonder_why

@RossRoss try factory default easy way but take little of pain 😁😋

@RossRoss wrote:

Thank you ShawnC13,

I changed that but unfortunately, still no luck.

It will be great if your son or anyone else in the community here using Public Mobile data with the same phone model check their settings to see what is different from mine

I checked his settings the only thing different is the 

APN Type: default,mms,supl

That is the only difference I see

RossRoss

Thank you ShawnC13,

I changed that but unfortunately, still no luck.

It will be great if your son or anyone else in the community here using Public Mobile data with the same phone model check their settings to see what is different from mine

@RossRoss, I would change the APN Type to default,mms,supl.

My wife had this phone and now my son uses it with no issues that that is the setting in the APN Type.

RossRoss

Thank you for your replys Aprime, and will13am,

Yes I'm saving and rebooting the phone after making these changes but so far no luck with the data access.

My phone is Acer Liquid Zest T06. 

https://goo.gl/jQUdgw

I purchased it Dec 2017 from Costco in Canada (the manual also refers to it as model Z525). I believe it is a SIM unlocked because I just bought the phone without any SIM cards in it and without any plans from any service provider. So far I have used it with 2 Feedom Mobile SIM cards, and 2 SIM cards from two different European providers while I was in a trip to Europe this summer and all SIM cards were able to access data. I never needed to create APNs. The Freedom mobile SIM cards were installed and set in their shops. The two SIM cards in Europe were data access only (no phone numbers and thus no calls) I bought those from stores, plugged them myself and they simply worked without any problems, I wish there is a service like this in Canada but as far as I know nobody offers this.

RossRoss

thank you for your reply jp2,

as I said in my first post I don't have the MMSC proxy setting: I have MMS proxy, the letter C is missing. Are they the same?

I changed the settings exactly as you showed them which is also how the Support Chat showed them. I put the 74.49.0.18 next to MMS proxy and not MMSC proxy because I don't have that.

I Saved and restarted  the phone, now when I turn on the phone emergency calls only status is replaced with no service status but I'm still able to call and receive calls, unfortunately still no data access

these are all the settings I have for Public Mobile APN

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

APN type: default

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC 302

MNC 220

Authentication type: None

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled (that settings is grayed out not allowing me to change it)

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: None

MVNO value: Not set  (that settings is grayed out not allowing me to change it)

By default the APNs with the Public SIM card were

Telus    sp.telus.com

TELUS ISP    isp.telus.com

All settings for Telus are exactly the same as the Public Mobile APN except these:

Name: Telus

APN: sp.telus.com

APN type: default,mms,supl

@RossRoss

You could try a Network reset.  If you own a LG phone, you may need to do a factory reset.  

@Aprime wrote:

I assume you've attempted rebooting the phone?

Are you knowledgeable as to whether or not your phone is SIM unlocked?

What model is it? Should we require more details, can you provide the actual model number? Sometimes people have phones purchased from overseas sources and some bands just don't work properly.

This should help us help you resolve your issue. 🙂

SIM lock does not affect APN fields.  There should have been indications of SIM lock when the Public Mobile SIM card is inserted into the phone.  Since this phone works with Freedom, it is not an overseas model.  Freedom uses AWS frequency which is pretty exclusive to the Americas.  It would be nice to know the phone model to assist with troubleshooting.  I would suggest looking at the APN fields in the Freedom SIM to see if there are the same APN fields. 

Need Help? Let's chat.