cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Pixel on Oreo tries to send Int'l SMS every restart - thoughts?

@specialK wrote:

Same issue here, getting outgoing texts to 7723 that say "Minutes" for usage type. On the $10 plan, so I'm kinda worried about running out out texts because of this.

Using the Essential Phone, on Oreo 8.1 and the April 5 security patch.

Edit: ok, I think I have it figured out. @youbme, if you dont give the phone app sms permissions, does this still happen? I think that fixed it for me, after wasting a bunch of texts though -.-

I just noticed this today since I currently have a backup phone on the $10 50 text plan.

I have barely used the phone since getting the plan, having only sent a single MMS to test it out. I go on to self serve and noticed I have five SMS used up already.

All to the same 7723 short code and this is on a 1st gen. Pixel XL. Going to give revoking the permissions a try. It's been two weeks for you though. Has it been successful?

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

yep it hasn't been sending out texts to 7723 anymore

not sure why the phone app needs sms permissions in the first place, haven't noticed any issues with the permission revoked

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I have an Essential on Oreo May patch. I have never seen any unauthorized texts being sent out ever since I got the phone. I believe I have the international sms plan. The Google Messages app doesn't show any funny texts being sent.

My questions are whether you guys got Oreo via the official channels (ie. OTA)? Or did you root your phones and/or sideload Oreo? Also, have you sideloaded any apps not through Google Play Store?

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@ckl wrote:

I have an Essential on Oreo May patch. I have never seen any unauthorized texts being sent out ever since I got the phone. I believe I have the international sms plan. The Google Messages app doesn't show any funny texts being sent.

My questions are whether you guys got Oreo via the official channels (ie. OTA)? Or did you root your phones and/or sideload Oreo? Also, have you sideloaded any apps not through Google Play Store?

It's done by the Phone app every time the phone boots, and there's no way to see on the phone that it got sent, I can only see that it happened if I look here.

My PH-1 was brand new, first thing I did with it was OTA to Oreo. I think I inserted the SIM after I was already on Oreo so idk if it was an issue on Nougat. I would try the Android P preview to see if it's only Oreo, but I don't have a USB-C to A cable handy. In my case at least, bootloader is still locked (no USB-C to A cable), a few sideloaded apps (nothing sketchy). None of that should matter though, as I said, if I don't give the Phone app SMS permissions, this issue is fixed.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Awesome troubleshooting @specialK! While the issue became less relevant for me after moving to an int'l texting plan, it's very relevant for new subscribers to the $10 plan with limited SMS.

@ckl, I have not done any tweaking to my Pixel XL, only OTA updates and apps through Google Play. The only way I was able to determine the texts being sent was through the log of messages/calls/data on my self-serve account - there was no evidence I could find on my actual phone other than the error message when the SMS failed (now with int'l texting, this does not happen).

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Google Pixel/Nexus phones had a variety of serious bugs with malfunctioning SMS after their first Oreo updates.  They fixed the bugs.  But their patch created a (still-unfixed) security vulnerability which is often exploited by a malware called "GoPro" (unrelated to GoPro wearable cameras).  GoPro will attempt to send itself to random recipients from your contact list and/or from a contact list it inherited from a previous victim, it's especially problematic when it can infect a rooted device as it then invites other payloads (more malware, spyware, ransomware, or loggers) which quickly multiply your problems.  Lookout and Malwarebytes can detect, remove, and prevent reinfection by GoPro.  (Or you can wait until Google fixes it ... but it took them almost 8 months to deploy their Oreo SMS fix, lol.)

Tags (1)

@computergeek541, if you click the box that says you've read the agreement, then you've read the agreement.

I do agree, that the companies are burying the 'ET phone home" information, but you've agreed to it, without reading it.

Yeah, I do it too.  But sometimes, I do read *most* of the text.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So the fix was going to application permissions and disallowing SMS from the dialer app?

I have the Xiaomi MiA1 which is also on the Android One platform and so is likely permitted to the same things the Pixel is, and funny enough only when I checked my usage I noticed some outgoing texts were sent to that same 7723 number but using minutes instead of SMS.  When I looked at my phone this morning there was a notification for a security update to the OS, (I had forgot wifi on overnight) so maybe the 7723 is related to the update? 

edit: now that I think of it, I would have started the OS update around 6am this morning, so it's definitely related.

Hopefully that random data usage was because wifi was left on, the 500mb plan I'm on doesn't leave much breathing room for anything else...2Untitled.png

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Essential phone on Android P here, I too am having texts sent to the same 4 digit number. Any ideas what it is?

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can confirm that blocking the phone app SMS permissions does work, but it is still concerning that the phone / OS is sending texts in the background.  I am a little suspicious because this 7723 number seems unique to Public Mobile.