cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 4a users can you help: mobile data turns itself back on

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Edit: 2021-12-22  This issue appears to be fixed since the November or October Android 12 security patch. My 4a no longer has this bug.

Make sure you're on the latest update of android 11 as of october 28th.
April 2021 edit: Still happening as of April 21 2021, on most current security patch.

1. disable mobile data
2. disable wifi
3. verify and ensure that data is in fact off by testing internet access
4. verify the "send & receive MMS messages when data is off"  function is turned on in the public mobile network settings.
image.png
4.5 verify that RCS chat features are turned off in google messenges and has been off for at least a few minutes.  restart messenges app possibly as well (this may not matter, i don't use that feature at all)
5.  send an MMS message to a contact (or your own number) using google messages
6.  verify that data has been turned back on by trying an app or browser but all data settings remain the same: turned off.

This is exactly what happened to me today.  I believe the "MMS messages send & receive..." function is what controls mobile data being turned on again.
23 REPLIES 23

@fov90 , @dumplodan .

have any of you factory reset your devices? 

whenever you update your device, change the screen timeout to 30min so that the phone doesn't turn off. they're computers nowadays. the pausing of the installation can cause corrupted files. 

google has made it really easy for pixel phones for installing whatever software update version you would like to install. it's basically plug and play, just read the instructions.

try one that works. first so a factory reset and if nothing changes then choose an older version. you can even go back to android 10 or 9.

Factory Images:

https://developers.google.com/android/images

just scroll down to your device and select the software update you would like to install and then click 'flash'. a window will pop up and guide you on what you need to do

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@fov90 

Apparently a common problem with these devices. Most people believe it's caused by bad google software, and google already hasn't fixed it for almost two years so it's unlikely they'll rush to fix it anytime soon. GrapheneOS is an option.

https://smartandroid.fr/en/problem-receiving-mms-on-google-pixel-4a-what-to-do/

https://thedroidguy.com/fix-google-pixel-can-no-longer-send-receive-sms-mms-troubleshooting-guide-10...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pixel4a/comments/mvmti6/pixel_4a_doesnt_receive_mms/

dumplodan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I am kind of in a wait and see scenario as well. I don't want to deal with trying that alternative OS at this point due to one specific non official app I 100% need to work at all times. I need this addressed if I ever travel again for work. Maybe I could just disable even MMS using data option at that point or make sure its fully tethered to a work phone but that's an issue to deal with later. I'm not glad to hear you have the issue but it's interesting to see it has gone back that far.

on2wheels

fov90 thankyou for confirming!  Appreciate it. It's interesting to see this happen on phones as far back as the 3a. 

One thing I noticed recently is the length of time data stays on seems to be variable.  Today for example, someone sent me a gif using google messenger, so as expected my data automatically turned on.  I used it for less than an hour then had to go back to work so I put the phone down for an hour or so with all apps closed except for google messenges.  The next time I used it I checked for data and it was back off.  What else to note is only a few days ago the data stayed on for many hours, possibly overnight because I noticed some abnormal battery drain.  

Won't be long before Android 12 open beta starts, maybe then they'll have this fixed.

fov90

Sorry to necro a thread, but I have this same issue with a pixel 3a that I confirmed within the last week.  

Basically, if my data gets automatically turned on as a result of the "MMS messages - send & receive when mobile data is off", then I  can open up any other apps and use data without limitations even though the UI for my phone still shows that mobile data is off. 

From that point, if I toggle on cellular data, and then back off, I can no longer access the mobile data network until I get/receive another MMS, and the whole thing starts over.  Phone's fully updated on the latest Android 11 version as of April 21 2021.

dumplodan

@gpixel  I am trying to transition away from whattsapp, it seems however nobody else wants to do it.  I may just have to dump it once their new terms of service goes into play.

@Korth I will have to look into that OS.  Thanks for pointing it out.

@on2wheels  Can you post or send me a message to that forum post?  Might be better if I add to it rather than start a new one.

on2wheels

Thankyou for testing and confirming dumplodan. I've already started a thread on the official pixel 4a forum, with very few replies and no official response.  Their twitter account @madebygoogle has responded but only suggests rebooting the phone. Maybe now with someone else confirming the issue they will take notice.  I'ts beyond me why they can't simply pick up a 4a and test it themselves.

Others suggesting workarounds or 3rd party apps might be helpful to some, the issue here is that the phone probably shouldn't operate this way, I'd be surprised if this is how Google intended.  

@dumplodan be careful with what's app. there's a malware spread apparently

@dumplodan 

Google Wi-Fi Assistant can override data permissions for other apps. And a variety of Google Services (some obvious, some hidden) concerned with google "telemetry" (spyware) will override certain user data preferences. GrapheneOS is an option.

dumplodan

I am having the same issue.  As soon as I send or receive an MMS it opens up the tap so to speak and everything uses data full tilt even if you have data shut off for the specific app.  I noticed as soon as I sent or received an MMS then whattsapp message would come through.  I even had a major system update download as a result overnight.  Thankfully I barely use data and I managed.  I'm paranoid now that if I ever get an MMS I restart my phone.

I will need to try and reach out to google.  It seems like a problem with the phone/OS.

@Korth if I'm reading correctly, time, yes, position, no.

@gpixel wrote:

have you tried the astrophotography mode

Sounds neat. But can this astrophoto thing calculate your exact position (or time) by looking at the stars?

A version of it is included in my GrapheneOS build. But since I installed a modded version of this modded OS on a non-Google non-Pixel device (a Cat S61) my stellar photography seems to default on interesting but meaningless thermal imaging, lol.

@on2wheels @TE 

how's the battery life on that phone? have you tried the astrophotography mode

IMG_20191225_191727-01.jpeg

on2wheels

Thanks to anyone who's tried to help out, I appreciate it, really I do. I love the phone plan I have at PM and do not wish to leave.

@TE I'll ask that if you're still interested in testing, could you please perform the steps I've outlined in the first post to the letter.  It really is the only way to prove out my theory.  You started out correct, then just needed to continue at Step 4.  (step 4.5 probably doesn't need to be done).

Since posting this thread I've exchanged the first 4a I had with Google under warranty and the new device performs exactly the same, so my current theory is that it's designed this way and the data connection will remain on for some set period of time until the operating system quietly turns it off, probably when the phone is idle long enough.  I've described it to Google and they didn't have a problem exchanging the phone.

TE
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi on2wheels. I have the 4a running Android 11. I tried the selections as you suggested and my results were as follows.

If I turned my wifi and mobile data off then apps could no longer access the internet. Switching the MMS on off had no impact. Switching wifi or Mobile data back on controlled the app access in accordance with my Data Saver Selection. In my case I use the Data Saver Option to prevent large downloads over my mobile data plan. IE: Radio Paradise App on Wifi Only.

This does not seem to align with your results. Not sure what is different. Hope this helps but as someone commented there is no notifications for you to see this.

@on2wheels 

open your Google messages, go to settings>advanced and check to see if auto download mms is enabled even though you've disabled it in "mobile network"

when did you purchase the device and how many software updates have you installed since then?

you can factory reset the device and try and see if the bug still persists

if there's a big update and it's more than 500mb, I usually factory reset my phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

I agree with @Anonymous that this should be a topic for Google Pixel and not with PM community support forums.

@Jb456 

I was actually meaning that it's not likely the "fault" of Public Mobile.

I think it's reasonable for people to come here with questions about the operation of their phones. We're all kinda enthusiasts here in one way or another.

on2wheels

@Jb456  I do have that setting off in Dev Options.

@Anonymous you misread. I'll have to edit my other post, this thread is the most accurate.

I have sent a bug report to Google. Initially they wanted me to test a different carrier sim, but I've since sent them the instructions from this thread to test on another pixel 4a, and am awaiting their response. I didn't think it was something at PM's end either.

FWIW I've always had RCS off.

I wonder what will happen first: they patch this bug or someone with a 4a sees this thread! 🙂

@on2wheels  Go into developer options and turn off "mobile data always active".

I agree with @Anonymous that this should be a topic for Google Pixel and not with PM community support forums.

On another topic from reading people's replies. To clarify things on text and RCS.

Sending SMS/MMS through the traditional method to send an MMS data needs to be turned on (some phones have some type of built in setting that if data is turned off it flips on automatically for a second to send the MMS and turns back off. My old Honor 6x did something like this as I always had data off and was able to send/receive MMS).

When an MMS is sent usage history says "Data Event"..MMS. Which does not count towards your data as MMS are included.

As for RCS this feature has nothing to do with the traditional text messaging system. It's basically like iMessage or messenger where you have chat bubbles, read receipts, when a person is typing you see .... .... While they are typing. 

Using RCS runs on wifi or data. So that will use your data and it will likely show as "web" in usage history.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@on2wheels wrote:

I added a step to verify RCS is off, thanks for the reminder.

In an earlier thread you said you can't get ANY internet to work if that "nice" setting is off and you turn on other internet connections. Is this correct? Or did I mis-read?

I would certainly be talking to Google to fix this peculiar bug. But if they can't repeat it and nobody else here repeats it then you're an outlier unfortunately.

But it's not Public Mobile if that's what you might wonder.

@on2wheels  If you aren't using RCS, data has to be turned on to send and receive MMS messages. 

on2wheels

I added a step to verify RCS is off, thanks for the reminder.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@on2wheels I may be wrong but I believe unless the person you are sending the MMS to is also using the new Google Messenger (which can use RCS similar to iMessage) that it has to use data to do, hence it turning the data on. Not having the ability to upgrade that high in Android though means take this with a grain of salt.

Need Help? Let's chat.