cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ech_786
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Pictures via SMS

Hi all:

Could someone please educate me why I can not send pictures to a friend via sms?

I have noticed its not working when wifi is ON but I can send picture when my Mobile Data is enable, of course I don't want to use mobile data to send pictures because I prefered to use wifi.

FYI, I am using the LG G4, had to factory reset for my data. and APN are autopopulated and I can not edit those anymore .

here what I have 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/LG-G4-APN/m-p/97975#M9105

Accepted Solutions
NDesai
Oracle

Re: Pictures via SMS

Data must be enabled to send and receive pics through text. However, your data usage will not be counted. 

It doesn't use wifi to send or receive mms. 

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

View solution in original post

All Replies
NDesai
Oracle

Data must be enabled to send and receive pics through text. However, your data usage will not be counted. 

It doesn't use wifi to send or receive mms. 

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

View solution in original post

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

MMS has to be sent with mobile data.  As mentioned by someone else, it shouldn't use your actual data allotment. Also, why are you turning off mobile data every time you're on wifi?  If your phone is connected to wifi, it will default to using it and not data.

ech_786

Thank you everyone for your input....much appreciated for your help...

Great comminuty....thanks for helping out people like me...

@hummuschips reason I disable my mobile data when I get at home I have wifi... when I was with Koodo and once I went over with my monthly data, they have advised to turn my mobile data off and use wifi..it doesn't make sence to me as mobile should be using wifi by default and save data ....but I do that just to be safe..

Are you sure guys that if I send MMS vis text it will not count towards my data limit....

is system smart enough to know that .... lol

sorry for asking these crazy questions.

Thanks again community .

lukevader

You might be able to check and see if the MMS uses your data, just go to your PM account page and write down your data usage and then send your pics. Wait a bit go back to your account page and see if the data used changed accordingly?

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

MMS uses data.
ech_786

I am getting two answers ... few are saying that my data won't be used and few are saying it will ..

I googled and here what Telus is saying ...PM using the same network so I guess this is very reliable info.. 

http://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/photo-video-messaging

Please let me know what you guys thing ...

Thanks community .. 

Pictures don't send throgh SMS.  They do send through MMS.  MMS requires mobile data to use, but that data should not counts towards your usage amount.  Also, any time you disable your cellular data, any MMS messages that you are currently being sent will not come through.  MMS cannnot and will not use Wi-Fi. 

There are apps that will allow you to send a picture to someone using a wi-fi connection.  However, those apps aren't sending pictures using the MMS protocol, but are rather using a regular internet connection, with the apps operating as instant messaging programs.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ech_786 the confusion is because the data connection is used to send MMS messages, so yes it does use data; but, it doesn't deduct any data from your available plan amount.  So say you had a 6GB/90 day data plan, and currently had 4.33 GB available before your send the message.  You will still have 4.33GB available after sending the message.  It does not count against your data amount.

Regarding the general question fo whether data is used while your phone is on WiFi with mobile data turned on, the answer appears to be that most phone use almost none or none but may occasionally consume a very small amount.  iPhones on newer iOS versions however do have a setting (which I think is enabled by default) that lets the phone use mobile data (if also enabled) to augment WiFi.  So it will use both at once to give you maximum speeds.  This is great for user experience but very bad for your data bucket if you're expecting none to be consumed while you're on WiFi.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
ech_786

@srlawren Thank you... very well explained..

Cheers!

Need Help? Let's chat.