cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pictures via SMS

ech_786
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi all:

Could someone please educate me why I can not send pictures to a friend via sms?

I have noticed its not working when wifi is ON but I can send picture when my Mobile Data is enable, of course I don't want to use mobile data to send pictures because I prefered to use wifi.

FYI, I am using the LG G4, had to factory reset for my data. and APN are autopopulated and I can not edit those anymore .

here what I have 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/LG-G4-APN/m-p/97975#M9105

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for following up, @Ingo.  I'm glad you got it resolved!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ingo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the sound advise. However I was able to trace the problem to a typo in the APN name. Instead of having the APN name "sp.mb.com" the auto-correct feature had changed the APN name to "Sp.mb.com". It appears that this typo did not interfere with regular data/internet and SMS tasks. However it did interfere with sending an MMS with picture. Once I changed the capital "S" to a lower case "s", MMS worked.

Again thank you very much for help and suggestion.

Best regards

Ingo

srlawren

@Ingo I know it may sound odd, but try another texting app from the Play Store.  Sometimes the default one goes wonky for no obvious reason, and using a different app helps.

For starters, I'd try out Google's latest, Android Messages.  It's free and quite good.  Or, feel free to try out a 3rd party app.  I presonally like and recommend Textra, but Chomp is also very popular.  Both are very highly configurable and feature-packed.  I think they give you a free trial and then after a while you either have to put up with ads or purchase the premium to get rid of them.  I personally feel Textra is worth every penny, but you could at least give one of them a whirl.  Or just Andorid Messages is fine too!

Please let us know if that changes anything for your problem.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ingo

The app came with the phone (pre-installed) and is called Messaging Vers. 5.0.01

srlawren

@Ingo which app are you using to try to send the MMS?

Ingo

Hello Community,

When I try to send a SMS with a picture attached I receive a message saying that the message could not be sent due to network problems and the message is tagged with the note "Send Failed".

I verified the APN settings and they seem to be correct. I have access to the internet and messaging without picture attachement works.

I am using a Huwei Honor 8 phone.

Any advise?

ech_786

@srlawren Thank you... very well explained..

Cheers!

srlawren

@ech_786 the confusion is because the data connection is used to send MMS messages, so yes it does use data; but, it doesn't deduct any data from your available plan amount.  So say you had a 6GB/90 day data plan, and currently had 4.33 GB available before your send the message.  You will still have 4.33GB available after sending the message.  It does not count against your data amount.

Regarding the general question fo whether data is used while your phone is on WiFi with mobile data turned on, the answer appears to be that most phone use almost none or none but may occasionally consume a very small amount.  iPhones on newer iOS versions however do have a setting (which I think is enabled by default) that lets the phone use mobile data (if also enabled) to augment WiFi.  So it will use both at once to give you maximum speeds.  This is great for user experience but very bad for your data bucket if you're expecting none to be consumed while you're on WiFi.

Pictures don't send throgh SMS.  They do send through MMS.  MMS requires mobile data to use, but that data should not counts towards your usage amount.  Also, any time you disable your cellular data, any MMS messages that you are currently being sent will not come through.  MMS cannnot and will not use Wi-Fi. 

There are apps that will allow you to send a picture to someone using a wi-fi connection.  However, those apps aren't sending pictures using the MMS protocol, but are rather using a regular internet connection, with the apps operating as instant messaging programs.

ech_786

I am getting two answers ... few are saying that my data won't be used and few are saying it will ..

I googled and here what Telus is saying ...PM using the same network so I guess this is very reliable info.. 

http://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/photo-video-messaging

Please let me know what you guys thing ...

Thanks community .. 

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire
MMS uses data.

lukevader

You might be able to check and see if the MMS uses your data, just go to your PM account page and write down your data usage and then send your pics. Wait a bit go back to your account page and see if the data used changed accordingly?

ech_786

Thank you everyone for your input....much appreciated for your help...

Great comminuty....thanks for helping out people like me...

@hummuschips reason I disable my mobile data when I get at home I have wifi... when I was with Koodo and once I went over with my monthly data, they have advised to turn my mobile data off and use wifi..it doesn't make sence to me as mobile should be using wifi by default and save data ....but I do that just to be safe..

Are you sure guys that if I send MMS vis text it will not count towards my data limit....

is system smart enough to know that .... lol

sorry for asking these crazy questions.

Thanks again community .

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

MMS has to be sent with mobile data.  As mentioned by someone else, it shouldn't use your actual data allotment. Also, why are you turning off mobile data every time you're on wifi?  If your phone is connected to wifi, it will default to using it and not data.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Data must be enabled to send and receive pics through text. However, your data usage will not be counted. 

It doesn't use wifi to send or receive mms. 

Need Help? Let's chat.