Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Message Not working! New Phone.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Hi guys,

Having trouble with picture messages.

Old phone was Honor 6x. I never had DATA turned off (actually for over a year did not even have a data plan)  and picture messages worked no problem with data OFF.

Normally my phone settings are wifi on all the time, mobile data turned off and I only turn it on when I need to check something on internet. This is how my setting always been for my Honor 6x and I had no problem sending / receiving picture messages.

Just got new phone. Huawei P20

Everything works except picture messages. Now I do have a data plan. I can browse internet no problem.

With P20 it does not work when trying to send a pic in a text message. It fails to send.

I can't receive picture message texts either.

When Data is turned off. If someone sends a pic text. I comes in says DOWNLOAD. I click download and nothing happens just times out after a few minutes.

Now if I turn on DATA. I can send and receive picture texts no problem. Nothing comes up with download either. Pic text comes right in.

I put my SIM back in old phone..with settings I always used (wifi on, data off) and no problems sending/receiving picture texts.

Yet on P20 only way it works is if mobile data is turned on. Which I don't want to have it turned on as I don't want my gig of data to be used up.

I found thread with APN settings they are all correct.

Anyway to resolve this problem? 

Honor 6x was unlocked phone from USA

P20 phone is from Koodo.

Thank you for your help!

9 REPLIES 9

CMOADMIN
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The best thing I can suggest:

Change your developer settings where it says allow apps in background and set to a low number or none. 

Also kill all apps when leave them.

In addition you can also enter your app settings and set the mentioned *resource and data hogs IME/IMO to not allow to run in background. Of course this will require that you run the apps in question in order to sync *emails, contacts, notifications, etc* 

Thank you all for the replies

@Jb456 wrote:

Screenshot_20190820_105905_com.android.settings.jpg

Here is my APN settings.

Huawei Honor 6x never had to have data on for pic text.

Now this new Huawei P20 you're saying I need to have it turned on?

I know data doesn't get used when connected to wifi.

But now if I have to have data turned on 24/7  just for picture messages eventually one of my other apps like messenger or news/weather is going to eat up my data  when I have no intentions of being on the internet at all. Yet it's like forcing me to technically be online cause I do need picture text.

This is weird and I don't understand why other phone I never needed data on.

Mobile data does have to be turned on for MMS to work.  I suspect your old phone must be doing something in the background that allows MMS to go through with mobile data turned off.  The only suggestion that I have is to turn off sync for other apps to minimize data usage. 

Screenshot_20190820_105905_com.android.settings.jpg

Here is my APN settings.

Huawei Honor 6x never had to have data on for pic text.

Now this new Huawei P20 you're saying I need to have it turned on?

I know data doesn't get used when connected to wifi.

But now if I have to have data turned on 24/7  just for picture messages eventually one of my other apps like messenger or news/weather is going to eat up my data  when I have no intentions of being on the internet at all. Yet it's like forcing me to technically be online cause I do need picture text.

This is weird and I don't understand why other phone I never needed data on.

Parv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You don't need a data plan to use MMS, but you do need data to be turned on within your phone.  There is no extra charge for the data that is used for MMS.

Properly set up: Settings >> Messaging >> iMessgae ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show your PM phone number.

Hope this helps 🙂

Cheers

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

Hi guys,

Having trouble with picture messages.

Old phone was Honor 6x. I never had DATA turned on (actually for over a year did not even have a data plan)  and picture messages worked no problem with data OFF.

Normally my phone settings are wifi on all the time, mobile data turned off and I only turn it on when I need to check something on internet. This is how my setting always been for my Honor 6x and I had no problem sending / receiving picture messages.

Just got new phone. Huawei P20

Everything works except picture messages. Now I do have a data plan. I can browse internet no problem.

With P20 it does not work when trying to send a pic in a text message. It fails to send.

I can't receive picture message texts either.

When Data is turned off. If someone sends a pic text. I comes in says DOWNLOAD. I click download and nothing happens just times out after a few minutes.

Now if I turn on DATA. I can send and receive picture texts no problem. Nothing comes up with download either. Pic text comes right in.

I put my SIM back in old phone..with settings I always used (wifi on, data off) and no problems sending/receiving picture texts.

Yet on P20 only way it works is if mobile data is turned on. Which I don't want to have it turned on as I don't want my gig of data to be used up.

I found thread with APN settings they are all correct.

Anyway to resolve this problem? 

Honor 6x was unlocked phone from USA

P20 phone is from Koodo.

Thank you for your help!

@Jb456  In order for MMS to work you need to have data on. Note that sending pictures does not use data so there is no harm in having it on. When you are connected on Wi-Fi your phone will not use data anyway so there is no harm it having it on.

Maybe on your old phone there was a setting that would automatically turn data on when sending a MMS text message that your new phone doesn't support.

In any event the rule is that if you want to send a MMS text data must be turned on and your PM APN settings must correct and include mms.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Jb456, check your APN settings against the information below.  Mobile data needs to be on in order for MMS to work. 

Refer to the following knowledge base link on setting up the APN. The APN settings are as follows. 

APN Settings:
Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

on some phones you just have to have it on, i needed it on even though i had no data for years, and i remember both Huawei and Nokia needed to have it on and for the others i really don't remember so probably not.

Data for picture messaging is not counted against your allotment, as i said i didn't have data between 2012 and 2018 and needed data on for mms on some models of phones,, definitely Huawei and Nokia

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 hi it is normal to have data on for mms thats how it works also it does not take away from your data allotment 

Need Help? Let's chat.