cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo messaging not working

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm currently using the $15 a month plan which comes with picture messaging but picture messaging is not working for me

5 REPLIES 5

@89461 

MMS attachments require active cellular data to work. They won't work (and can sometimes be "lost" indefinitely/forever) across most WiFi connections. I don't understand exactly why, too many variables (along with too many unknowns) in the tech. 

But MMS attachments are not counted towards (billable) data allocations. They'll be logged on your Self-Serve usage history as "MMS data events" which consume 0MB each.

iMessage, RCS, and other msging apps which layer extras onto basic SMS/MMS functionality might work on both Data and WiFi. But beware that these text-over-data apps are not recognized by the network as "MMS data events" so they will consume billable data when they use it. Best to test for yourself before relying on it, send and receive a few attachments then login Self-Serve a while later and see what it says. I know you don't get a lot of Data on $15 Plan (even with the free holiday gift Data Add-on which you should collect, if you haven't already). 

Your phone needs to be configured with Public Mobile's APN settings (with "APN Type" = "default,mms", lowercase no quotes no spaces)... then restarted... then have data turned ON. If data is turned OFF then you'll only see upload/download placeholders. Public Mobile (Telus) seems to store up to 10 "undelivered" attachments on the network for at least a week before they're overwritten or discarded - but I haven't really tested the limits exhaustively. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunflowershine wrote:

@89461 You have to get your wifi or data on in order to send or receive message with photo. 

Actually, WiFi isn't used for MMS messages.  If using something like iMessage, WiFi can be used, but (unfortunately) not for picture messages, which require a data connection.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@89461 You have to get your wifi or data on in order to send or receive message with photo. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@89461- As mentioned, you must have data enabled & working on your phone.  Is your phone compatible with the Public Mobile network?  Have you checked the APN settings?

hss
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Make sure you are not on Wi-fi and got data. You need cell data to send and receive MMS on some phones.

Need Help? Let's chat.