cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone working with Telus and Koodo SIM but not Public Mobile?

yosoyelcel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I just bought a chinese android (Unihertz Jelly Pro). I've tested the phone with active Telus and Koodo SIM cards and the phone picks up the signal no problem. 

However, my Public Mobile sim shows no service. As the Koodo and Telus sim worked no problem, I was certain it must be my SIM card. I've just replaced my SIM card, however, I'm getting the same issue.

Is there really a difference between Koodo and Public? Is it possible that it's due to the fact that I am on a 3G only plan with Public?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

19 REPLIES 19

tony7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@yosoyelcel wrote:

Hello,

I just bought a chinese android (Unihertz Jelly Pro). I've tested the phone with active Telus and Koodo SIM cards and the phone picks up the signal no problem. 

However, my Public Mobile sim shows no service. As the Koodo and Telus sim worked no problem, I was certain it must be my SIM card. I've just replaced my SIM card, however, I'm getting the same issue.

Is there really a difference between Koodo and Public? Is it possible that it's due to the fact that I am on a 3G only plan with Public?

Thank You

The SIM first requires activation for the phone to pick up a signal.

@yosoyelcel wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@yosoyelcel 

Generally speaking if your phone works with Telus and Koodo, it should work with Public Mobile.  You could check the website:  

https://willmyphonework.net/

My thoughts exactly. Even according to the Public Mobile IMEI check, the phone "should" work.

The sim and service presently work fine on an iPhone 4S (One thing I note though is while in the iPhone 4S it says 3G, while the telus and koodo phones saying LTE), when I try the Koodo SIM in the new phone and try to connect via 3G it shows no service, but when selecting 4G it shows service. Is it possible because I'm on a 3G plan I am unable to connect to the 4G network?

In any case, I've tried a network reset and nothing will be trying a full reset shortly (this phone actually doesn't allow you to do a full reset unless battery life is over 50%)

@yosoyelcel, your plan is a 4G/LTE plan, but the speeds are throttled to replicate 3G experiences.  Enable the 4G/LTE network on your phone, if you haven't already.

Voice services may not work if your 3G bands are not matching to Telus.

TMG33
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Go here and test your phone for compatibility on the public network first 😉

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sandpublic wrote:

@yosoyelcel wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

Go into settings --> network & internet --> Mobile Network select manual select public mobile and make sure it registers with Public Mobile. Also search for the PM APN settings add it and select it

The weird thing is it's not finding Public Mobile and any networks for that matter with the public mobile sim in. 

What happens if you try to add the APNs? If you add them then PM might show up. My son's phone had a similar issue it was trying to connect to Telus even though the PM SIM card was inserted. He also switched from Koodo to PM 

@yosoyelcel, did you try adding the Public Mobile  APN settings to your phone? If it's a Chinese phone if will not find them so you have to add them manually.

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visiting https://apn-canada.gishan.net/

Select the brand and model of your phone, scroll down the page and then select Public Mobile. After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

If your plan includes data, don’t forget to enable data on your phone.
Turn your phone off and then back on. This quick refresh will help your phone deal with all the changes that have taken place.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yosoyelcel wrote:

Will be trying a factory reset next once this phone allows me to reset it.

@yosoyelcel please let us know if this helped.  

@missorange wrote:

my old phone oppo from China can work with fido, but when I input IMEI to test if working with public mobole, get "not found". so I test my new phone, ok then I switch.

Try https://www.willmyphonework.net.  However, I would bet that it will not work with any operator in Canada other than Rogers, Fido, or Chatr, since they all run on the Rogers network, the only provider in Canada with a 2G GSM network.  Alternatively or if you cant find the phone listed on that site, please list the specific model number and we can try to help determine compatibility.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sandpublic

@yosoyelcel wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

Go into settings --> network & internet --> Mobile Network select manual select public mobile and make sure it registers with Public Mobile. Also search for the PM APN settings add it and select it

The weird thing is it's not finding Public Mobile and any networks for that matter with the public mobile sim in. 

What happens if you try to add the APNs? If you add them then PM might show up. My son's phone had a similar issue it was trying to connect to Telus even though the PM SIM card was inserted. He also switched from Koodo to PM 

missorange

my old phone oppo from China can work with fido, but when I input IMEI to test if working with public mobole, get "not found". so I test my new phone, ok then I switch.

@yosoyelcel wrote:

One thing, I want to add.

It's almost as if the phone can't read the Public Mobile SIM.

I say this because in the SIM card manager with any other SIM, the SIM toggle will remain on. However, with the public mobile sim this toggle constantly switches between on and off, but it does pull my number from the SIM so it's reading something.

Maybe might help....  

yosoyelcel

One thing, I want to add.

It's almost as if the phone can't read the Public Mobile SIM.

I say this because in the SIM card manager with any other SIM, the SIM toggle will remain on. However, with the public mobile sim this toggle constantly switches between on and off, but it does pull my number from the SIM so it's reading something.

@yosoyelcel 

I agree factory reset is a logical next step....

yosoyelcel

@tayeb2020 wrote:

hi there,

does your PM SIM card active?you mentioned that  telus and Koodo are active.

Yes it is. I've even replaced the SIM card thinking that was the issue; but the new SIM has the same problem.

yosoyelcel

@sandpublic wrote:

tayeb2020

hi there,

does your PM SIM card active?you mentioned that  telus and Koodo are active.

tayeb2020

is your PM SIM card is active aswell like telus and Koodo?

yosoyelcel

@will13am wrote:

@yosoyelcel , is this the phone you have?  If the specs on this site are accurate, it should work.  You have the all important band 4 LTE plus some 700 Mhz bands and the repurposed 3G bands.  

https://www.unihertz.com/shop/product/jelly-pro-black-21

That's the exact phone.

yosoyelcel

@Dunkman wrote:

@yosoyelcel 

Generally speaking if your phone works with Telus and Koodo, it should work with Public Mobile.  You could check the website:  

My thoughts exactly. Even according to the Public Mobile IMEI check, the phone "should" work.

The sim and service presently work fine on an iPhone 4S (One thing I note though is while in the iPhone 4S it says 3G, while the telus and koodo phones saying LTE), when I try the Koodo SIM in the new phone and try to connect via 3G it shows no service, but when selecting 4G it shows service. Is it possible because I'm on a 3G plan I am unable to connect to the 4G network?

In any case, I've tried a network reset and nothing will be trying a full reset shortly (this phone actually doesn't allow you to do a full reset unless battery life is over 50%)

sandpublic

@yosoyelcel wrote:

Hello,

Thank You

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@yosoyelcel , is this the phone you have?  If the specs on this site are accurate, it should work.  You have the all important band 4 LTE plus some 700 Mhz bands and the repurposed 3G bands.  

https://www.unihertz.com/shop/product/jelly-pro-black-21

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@yosoyelcel 

Maybe a network reset might be needed.  Have you tried putting your PM SIM card in another phone to make sure that the service is working?  

Need Help? Let's chat.