cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone won't connect to network?

Brighton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hi. I have a Moto rokr w5 (flip phone). I put the imei number into the box and it said it should work. I then bought a SIM card and signed up for a 90 plan for 90$. I did this last night. I put the SIM card in but the phone is always just 'searching' and won't connect. I tried the SIM card in my friends iPhone 5c and it worked fine (ie: could call/text). Is my phone actually not compatible? Am I just missing a simple step?
8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Brighton definitely sad to see you go back to Rogers, but understandable if you are attached to your device or can't justify purchasing a compatible phone.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend you try reaching out to one of the community moderators (PM support staff) via private messaging the @CS_Agent account.  The policy generally with prepaid is no refunds.  However, as your circumstances are a bit extenuating, and it sounds like you were given a "false positive" by the IMEI checker on the site, it might be worth politely explaining the situation to see if they are able to offer you any assistance.  I definitely can't say it would definitely work out, but I think in some cases, manual exceptions can be made.  It's worth a try, at least.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Brighton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Thanks everyone for the responses. Apparently pm doesn't give refunds even when it's kinda their fault. Oh well, I'll just go back to my other carrier.

mimmo

IF the PM imie checker said you phone would work i would ask PM for a sim card and plan refund.  

I would then check out chatr they have a $25 talk and text plan which isnt too  bad depending on your needs.  If you subscrbe to autopay the you can get an additional 80$ in credit (8months *$10) which after month 8 you can use tto get 3 month free service.

srlawren

@Brighton unfortunatley the responses you've received so far are correct--your phone is not compatible with Public Mobile.  I'm guessing you used it previously with Rogers, Fido, or Chatr?  Rogers is the only carrier in Canada that operates a 2G GSM network, which is required by that phone.

You essentially have two options now:

1) Obtain another phone that will be compatible

2) Stick with Rogers/Fido/Chatr 😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

This flip phone will operate on Public Mobile: https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/alcatel-onetouch-a392cc

You need a Koodo/Telus phone, or an unlocked phone that supports these frequencies: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

the phone is not compatible, not much can be done. Just need to get a new phone entirely. There are good budget friendly phones out there, depending on the type of budget you will have (if you really do want to get a new phone to be able to use the network). A lot of members here have recommendations for phones too, so dont hessitate to ask

neatooo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I am guessing your phone is unlocked as it did not ask for a code. Are you able to verify that?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The Public Mobile IMEI checker is known to be flawed.  willmyphonework.net is more reliable.  Unfortunately, this phone is so old that it's not in their database.  According to gsmarena, your phone only supports 2G and so it won't work on this network.  Public Mobile only runs 3G and LTE networks.  Time to replace the phone.

http://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_rokr_w5-2407.php

Need Help? Let's chat.