cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working

JimmyMac1348
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have just purchased a new Umidigi phone model Bison. Public Model shows that it does not support this model. It is a fairly new model. Is there anything I can do other than go to another provider? 

24 REPLIES 24

OP did mentioned he is not very  tech savvy.  I am not surprise his neighbour did something else, too.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : The OP left all kinds of interpretations open for lots of ambiguity. They didn't answer all the inquiries trying to figure what exactly the problem was (as often happens). Then comes back saying a neighbour solved the problem setting the APN. They're happy. Case closed. 🙂

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

The OP stated he had a provider to their place but when he would leave he would go offline. I take that to mean he would have no data once he left the range of his wifi. Since Umidigi phones commonly need to have the APN added manually.....that is why the neighbour was able to fix his service issue.

The member also said after buying a new phone "now I have no service", but I agree APN setttings can fix mobile data not working.

@computergeek541 

The OP stated he had a provider to their place but when he would leave he would go offline. I take that to mean he would have no data once he left the range of his wifi. Since Umidigi phones commonly need to have the APN added manually.....that is why the neighbour was able to fix his service issue.

@JimmyMac1348 wrote:

I am not too tech savvy but my neighbor is. He came over and did something with the APN? Not sure what it was just greatful that I am back up and running. It can be frustrating for a person who grew up in an era with no computers trying to find his way with today's technology.  

For an Android phone, making changes to APN setttings would not fix a no service issue. I do realize that in the case of iPhone devices that the APN settings would need to be correct if a customers wants to use mobile data to get past the Apple device activation steps, but that doesn't apply to Android.  As mentioned earlier, APN settings would enabled mobile data (and MMS) usage, but only those two things.  Changes to APN settings would not do anything for either phone calls or text messaging (SMS).

@JimmyMac1348  glad all works out.  and glad you have a nice and helpful neighbor

Enjoy your new phone.. tell us how good it is when you have time.

@JimmyMac1348 

North American variant phones will almost always automatically set up the APN in your phone once you insert a sim card. International versions of phones won't always do that. This is often the case with Umidigi phones that are Chinese manufactured but made for the international market. In your case you have to manually enter the correct APN for public mobile. The correct APN for each provider is necessary to be able to use mobile data and send and recieve MMS (picture texts). 

You may want to take a couple of screenshots of your current APN for public mobile that your neighbour set for you in case you ever need any easy reference to it. That way if your APN defaults to its original settings you will be able to edit it and set it to public mobile's APN again.

@JimmyMac1348 wrote:

I am not too tech savvy but my neighbor is. He came over and did something with the APN? Not sure what it was just greatful that I am back up and running. It can be frustrating for a person who grew up in an era with no computers trying to find his way with today's technology.  

Glad to hear you got it going.

Long as you know how to get back to this Community Forum...always someone here can contribute info when you run into a glitch.

JimmyMac1348

@JimmyMac1348   what did you do in the end to get it working?

@JimmyMac1348 wrote:

Problem solved. Thanks for your help.

Great news!

Can you please share what resolved the problem?

I know someone who is interested in the Bison, so it would be good to have a complete picture for trouble shooting.

JimmyMac1348

Problem solved. Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JimmyMac1348 : Everything about the service is related to the SIM. The phone just enables it.

@JimmyMac1348  yes, you can.   

You can also try your wife SIM on this new phone and see if it works.    

JimmyMac1348

Please accept my niativity in understanding how all this works. To see if it is a sim card issue can I take the sim card out and put it in my wife's phone which has a different phone number?  

@JimmyMac1348 wrote:

I had an Umidigi A5pro which worked fine until I dropped it in the lake. After retrieval it would not work. I purchased the Bison and moved my PM sim card from my old phone to this new one. I now have no service. 

@JimmyMac1348 

This provides more valuable information.

Then it might be a hardware setup issue if your PM service worked before with a different phone. 

Try a few other trouble shooting advice:

Reboot phone

Remove SIM card, re-insert and reboot.

Toggle airplane mode on, then off

Network reset of phone

Double check that your account status is active.

I check again, Bison, as well as Bison GT both should work really well on any Canadian network including PM and Telus

So, you put the SIM into the phone and it said no network?  Do you have 2nd phone to try to see if it is a SIM card issue.  You dropped the phone into the lake, it shouldn't damage the SIM card, but just to double check

Also, you logon Self-Serve, you account is showing Active?

JimmyMac1348

I had an Umidigi A5pro which worked fine until I dropped it in the lake. After retrieval it would not work. I purchased the Bison and moved my PM sim card from my old phone to this new one. I now have no service. 

@JimmyMac1348  your phone will actually work well on PM according to the frequency check

softech_0-1623597865833.png

when you said you leave the area, it goes offline, was that not connected to PM at all? or you just don't have incoming calls outgoing callings or data?

honest, I think your phone has all the bands on PM, as many as it has on other providers.  you might want to check the towers around the area you said you don't have service and see if it has Telus and Bell towers, which give the service to PM, or towers for other providers.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JimmyMac1348 : So you bought a Public Mobile SIM, activated it, inserted it, turned the phone on and....what?

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on the Coverage Maps link and see if you're in a covered area.

@JimmyMac1348 

That specific phone should work with Public mobile.  However, if you live in a remote area, you may not get good reception.

Public mobile uses Telus and Bell towers.  Where do you live?  

You can check the nearest cell tower.  

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=52.000000&lng=-97.000000&zoom=4&type=Roadm...

Or if you live in Manitoba, Public mobile has some issues 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani...

JimmyMac1348

I am in a remote area. I have a provider to this place so I am using that service. When I leave the area my phone goes off line. I will now check the frequencies and see if that is the problem. 

@JimmyMac1348 

As mentioned above, this phone will work with Public mobile. 

Here are the specs on your phone:

https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_bison_specification.html

4G: FDD-LTE: B1 /2 /3 /4 /5 /7 /8 /12 /13 /17 /18 /19 /20 /26 /28A /28B /66
TDD-LTE: B34 /38 /39 /40 /41
3G: WCDMA: B1 /2 /4 /5 /6 /8 /19

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).  band 12, band 5, band 2, band 1, band 4
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).   B2, B5

3G = 850 (5), 1900 (2)

4G = 850 (5), 1900 (2), 700 (12/13/17/29), 1700/2100 (4), 2600 (7), 1700/2100 (66)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JimmyMac1348 : Does anything work? Calls in/out? Texts in/out? Internet?

Edit: the compatibility checker is not complete. Your phone should work fine. The checker also indicates what frequencies are needed.

Need Help? Let's chat.