cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone locked

marinartw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I received my phone new in a box as a Christmas gift and then started to use it a year ago with public mobile without an issue. I just arrived in Russia to live here for a few months and it appears that my phone is locked by the carrier so that I am unable to use it with the local carrier. Can the @CS_Agent please unlock my phone? Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7

murray22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As of December 31, 2017 phone companies aren't allowed to lock your phone so a simple phone call to the carrier (if not PM) will solve your issue.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@marinartw wrote:

I received my phone new in a box as a Christmas gift and then started to use it a year ago with public mobile without an issue. I just arrived in Russia to live here for a few months and it appears that my phone is locked by the carrier so that I am unable to use it with the local carrier. Can the @CS_Agent please unlock my phone? Thanks 

What phone is it?

Some Samsung devices for example have been reported to lock to the first SIM / carrrier it is used with. People have had success contacting Samsung for help.

Public Mobile will only be able to unlock phones for their customers if they are locked to PM, Koodo or Telus.

Before you jump through the hoops - is your phone compatible with the carrier you intend to use in Russia? Check that on willmyphonework.net

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If the phone is locked to a carrier in Russia, I believe you will have to contact that carrier.

passiveegg

I suggest looking at your APN settings, if that doesnt work then you should give the @CS_Agent a message and let them know about your problem. 

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree, sounds like you were gifted a Telus-locked phone or a phone that networked locked to the first SIM that was inserted.

In either case, the moderator team should be able to get you sorted out.  Send them a private message using the following link: @CS_Agent, provide them with your name, account number, IMEI number and a brief explanation of your issue and they'll be able to help you out.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@marinartw, let me try to understand this a little better.  This particular phone was used previously on the Public Mobile network without issue meaning that it is either not SIM locked or SIM locked to the Telus network.  Now after being overseas with the phone, it no longer works on the Public Mobile network.  Is this correct?

What model of phone is this?  Some phones like LG and Samsung have quirks where the phone locks to a carrier after use, not the same as a SIM lock.  A network reset is needed for switching networks.  This may be the issue here. 

JDT

You will need to send a private message to the Moderator team for help with unlocking.  They can only help you if the phone is locked to Telus or Koodo.

Need Help? Let's chat.