cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line up?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Will public mobile ever have phones to sell with SIM cards already in them and working?

This could be an offer they have for those that are not very tech-oriented? 

25 REPLIES 25

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Even on my last provider, I didn't want to pay an extra how much per month for a device, plus by the time I was ready they didn't have the one I wanted anymore, so I bought it outright. I'm cool with byod

The only option I'd love to see worked on is the possibility of international roaming add-ons. Treat our Sims as telus or koodo while abroad for a certain amount per day if desired. The system is there, we just would need to pay to access it

This is all assuming the world will stop ending at some point and we're able to leave our homes lol

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Naepalm wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Naepalm wrote:

Where did PM start, I had not heard of it, I have shared with 40 to 50 people this past week about it and they never heard of it. Is it a Western Canada thing? My sister moved to BC and a bunch of her colleagues were on Public. But, in Ontario no one knew about it.  

The original Public Mobile eventually got around to operating roughtly from Niagara Falls to about Montreal. Public Mobile was operating in Quebec and Ontario at that time.

The more I hear from some of the people in here of how it got started and where it got started,  I'm flabbergasted. To your comment that they ran from Niagara to Montreal. I say this because I lived in Niagara on the Lake for the last 7 years. I'm now in southwestern Ontario. But, it bothers me that I had not heard of Public until my sister mentioned it and shes in B.C. Bothers me that I was not able to tell anyone about Public for the last few years LOL 

When you asked about Public Mobile being based out of Western Canada, I mentioned Public's Mobile's company history because the longer a company has operated in an area, the more likely people will have heard of it. People in Western Canada are less likely to have heard of Public Mobile because there has been less amount of time that they've been exposed to the brand name. How effective has Public Mobile's marketing been? That can be disscussed and debated.

The only advertising I have seen in the Lower Mainland in BC is at the bus stop shelters.

I guess the referral program is an integrable part of growth.  It’s a win win, more customers and pay the referrers. 

@Naepalm wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Naepalm wrote:

Where did PM start, I had not heard of it, I have shared with 40 to 50 people this past week about it and they never heard of it. Is it a Western Canada thing? My sister moved to BC and a bunch of her colleagues were on Public. But, in Ontario no one knew about it.  

The original Public Mobile eventually got around to operating roughtly from Niagara Falls to about Montreal. Public Mobile was operating in Quebec and Ontario at that time.

The more I hear from some of the people in here of how it got started and where it got started,  I'm flabbergasted. To your comment that they ran from Niagara to Montreal. I say this because I lived in Niagara on the Lake for the last 7 years. I'm now in southwestern Ontario. But, it bothers me that I had not heard of Public until my sister mentioned it and shes in B.C. Bothers me that I was not able to tell anyone about Public for the last few years LOL 

When you asked about Public Mobile being based out of Western Canada, I mentioned Public's Mobile's company history because the longer a company has operated in an area, the more likely people will have heard of it. People in Western Canada are less likely to have heard of Public Mobile because there has been less amount of time that they've been exposed to the brand name. How effective has Public Mobile's marketing been? That can be disscussed and debated.

@Naepalm wrote:

@will13am 

When I say no one, I don't mean a blanket statement of no one in Ontario. I meant anyone that I have asked has not heard of them. (I'm in Ontario) 

Sorry if that came off as an ignorant comment like "NO ONE HAS HEARD OF THEM"...lol it wasn't meant to. 

I understand what you mean.  Public Mobile is a not quite the household name like Telus.  

@LurganIeUk 

anytime someone starts a sentence with "trust me" the first thing you do is Don't trust them LOL.

Yeah I saw that you said you wanted a plan like that for the USA 🙂

@Solo wrote:

well is there enough of us would come together and order some phones off of wish or geek and starts telling them from there I just bought a Android 4.41 for $11 with dual-sim

Ya could you imagine a campaign :

A one-time initial cost of $30.00 you get a phone and your set up and ready to go anywhere anytime cancel anytime no fees no hidden cost. What are you waiting for?! Keep your money in your account to spend on the things you really want, not just expensive phone bills! 

LOL

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@mpcdesign wrote:

@Naepalm, that's what sons and son-in-laws are for. There was @darlicious who said she wasn't as technical person but if you read her posts, she is more technologically advanced than I am. 

My opinion is my two cents, Public Mobile fond a rare niche, and they ran with it. I am surprised nobody tried the same business plan yet!

Read up on this. Very similar. https://yourkarma.com/wifi/dataplan/

I was going to buy for USA. Some plans don’t expire. 

Wow yeah looks like a cheap plan 3.00....Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 9.59.22 AM.png

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Naepalm wrote:

@fdrcamb519 wrote:

I would say very unlikely, they the best service, but no frills prices, BYOD, meaning bring your own device, seems to be what they are known for, but their plans are amazing, so its worth it to bring your own, device.

Your comment has really got me thinking of the tactics that other providers take. And my intention of phones was not to offer a zero-dollar phone, but anyway here are my thoughts.  Big stores advertise "free" devices or Zero. But really it's not free at all. They say they will charge you extra on your bill to have that zero-dollar phone, but then they never remove the extra cost. You hit it on the head, "their plans are amazing" That is exactly why I changed it was such a stark difference. If it was 10.00 savings I probably wouldn't even have looked but when I'm saving 75% of my phone bill and possibly more, that is huge!

I can see a few voices here saying you know what I don't think that would work. And that's o.k., I like feedback, back to the drawing board and see how we can make the Public brand a brand that everyone talks about all the time. You walk into the office at work and people are asking you about the forum and saying hey have you seen the new Public deal. LOL kinda pie in the sky but a good thought. 

@mpcdesign wrote:

@LurganIeUk, that sounds like a decent plan. Not sure about the company name, Karma. I am a bit superstitious and well, karma, is really a ball-breaker sometimes! I know, officially, karma isn't superstitious, but, for me....

Am assuming these are American prices? I rather support Canadian businesses if possible.

You might want to re-read what I said. And yes the term Karma and "trust me" are often very misleading. 

@will13am 

When I say no one, I don't mean a blanket statement of no one in Ontario. I meant anyone that I have asked has not heard of them. (I'm in Ontario) 

Sorry if that came off as an ignorant comment like "NO ONE HAS HEARD OF THEM"...lol it wasn't meant to. 

Solo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

well is there enough of us would come together and order some phones off of wish or geek and starts telling them from there I just bought a Android 4.41 for $11 with dual-sim

@LurganIeUk, that sounds like a decent plan. Not sure about the company name, Karma. I am a bit superstitious and well, karma, is really a ball-breaker sometimes! I know, officially, karma isn't superstitious, but, for me....

Am assuming these are American prices? I rather support Canadian businesses if possible.

@mpcdesign wrote:

@Naepalm, that's what sons and son-in-laws are for. There was @darlicious who said she wasn't as technical person but if you read her posts, she is more technologically advanced than I am. 

My opinion is my two cents, Public Mobile fond a rare niche, and they ran with it. I am surprised nobody tried the same business plan yet!

Read up on this. Very similar. https://yourkarma.com/wifi/dataplan/

I was going to buy for USA. Some plans don’t expire. 

@Naepalm wrote:

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would say very unlikely, they the best service, but no frills prices, BYOD, meaning bring your own device, seems to be what they are known for, but their plans are amazing, so its worth it to bring your own, device.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had never heard of them until I stumbled across their name and connection to Telus when I was reading something about low cost cell options and the writer said or quoted something about "well we have low cost options...Public Mobile". Not verbatim. 🙂

Checked them out and saw their rates and said to myself, self I says, sign me up. That was coming up on two years ago.

I'm in western Canada where Telus rules and have been a loyal customer for landlines and then cell service since the Motorola brick phone. Never heard of them. Until then.

@Naepalm wrote:

@mpcdesign wrote:

I completely agree with your last two cents, "I am surprised nobody tried the same business plan yet!" 

How can you say that nobody has heard of Public Mobile in Ontario?  When they were a separate company, they operated in Ontario.  Going to an online model may have set back their popularity a bit.  Now that they have been selling through retail partners, the name is familiar once again.  

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I hope not

Equipment is expensive to obtain, store, and support. Even if you did it online only you stil you need tech support even repair center, you need to keep all that on books, so even more accounting. Why compete with Amazon especially when you don't want to be in that business. 

@Naepalm

Definitely not a Western Canada thing. I only heard about it through a Facebook post and none of my coworkers or friends had ever heard about it.

@mpcdesign wrote:

I completely agree with your last two cents, "I am surprised nobody tried the same business plan yet!" 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Naepalm wrote:

Will public mobile ever have phones to sell with SIM cards already in them and working?

This could be an offer they have for those that are not very tech-oriented? 

No. If not tech oriented, go to retail location to sign up.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@mpcdesign 

oh, I wasn't suggesting the phone idea be the only option, but an option for those that have a hard time figuring out how this works. For example, my grandmother is not going to be able to switch a SIM card, well neither can my mom, I have to do that for her LOL. So if there was an option with a phone. My thought would be it would work in a way that they would order the phone as soon as they got an order. The demographic they are reaching wouldn't be a demographic that wants a phone immediately. 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm, I highly doubt that as the business plan is you bring your own phone company.

I personally wouldn't think they would do that because then we could end being like one of three third-tier companies offering phones with SIM cards. Plus, what happens to people who already have phones, and we don't want the cheap phones they offer us?

Need Help? Let's chat.