cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone is locked

Vanislander1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just signed up with Public, put the new sim card in after registering and getting a phone number.  This phone is an older HTC phone.  Was on a previous pay as you go plan.  Tried to get into phone and it tells me that it's locked.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

10 REPLIES 10

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Vanislander1

@Vanislander1 

As of April 2020 rogers (and fido) will only unlock devices if you are a current (or have been in the previous 12 months) subscriber to their service and have no outstanding balance.

The customer service with rogers has been known to make this way more difficult  than it needs to be.....just make sure to be firm with your request and remind them they are required to do this up on request and without delay. *

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Unlocking your Canadian cell phone is free. In June 2017, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) updated the Wireless Code of Conduct to address a number of common consumer complaints. One of them was the cost to unlock a phone, even after a customer has fully paid for the device. The government agency established that all wireless carriers must follow these rules:

• All wireless devices sold after December 1, 2017, must be unlocked or sold with instructions on how to unlock the device at no additional cost.
  • All wireless devices that are locked to a carrier must be unlocked upon request at no cost to the consumer.
  • Unlocking must be completed even if the consumer is still on contract or device has not been paid in full.

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/Unlock-Phone-in-Canada-guide

rowenakwan

Just contact your previous provider and ask them to give you the 14 digit unlock code. By law they have to give to you for free.

When you turn on your phone with the Public Mobile SIM card, it'll ask you to enter the unlock code. Just enter the unlock code very carefully. Then hit [unlock]. If you've entered the unlock code correctly, the phone would be unlocked. If the unlock code is entered incorrectly, you can do it again. You have 10 tries to do it. After that, the phone would be permanently locked. So enter the unlock code carefully.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Where did you buy the HTC phone? Did you buy it as part of a mobile plan? What carrier was it?

You need to bring it to your carrier, who will (and must, by law) unlock the phone for free.

Bell (Virgin) / Rogers (Fido) / Freedom / Vidéotron

Vanislander1

No idea on the model...it's not my phone.  He was with Rogers.  We will reach out to Rogers and see about unlocking it.

Thank you so much for your help.

Vanislander1

@gblackma I was wondering about that but thought that since it was a pay as you go, it wouldn't have a lock on it.  I will contact the provider and see.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Keep well and safe!!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Vanislander1 

Contact the provider who gave or sold your HTC phone to get the unlock code.

Since your HTC does not work with Telus network, your HTC will be locked to Rogers or Bell networks.

If you purchased this phone used, you cab get a unlock code from eBay.

@Vanislander1 it sounds like its locked to your previous provider. Do blockchain phones have providers? Thanks. You have to contact them and ask them to unlock it for you. Stay safe 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Vanislander1 hi you will need to contact your previous provider to unlock it 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Vanislander1 wrote:

Just signed up with Public, put the new sim card in after registering and getting a phone number.  This phone is an older HTC phone.  Was on a previous pay as you go plan.  Tried to get into phone and it tells me that it's locked.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

Which model of HTC are you using ?

Who was previous provider ?

Need Help? Let's chat.