cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone indicates no SIM card, yet will receive phone calls and text messages

A_and_J
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just purchased a new, unlocked, Maxwest Gravity 55 Go, off of Amazon.  Same with the PM SIM card.  Put in the SIM Card and activated the account with PM.  Phone indicates 'No SIM Card - Emergency Calls Only'.  The phone does receive incoming phone calls and texts, but outgoing phone calls and texts are not possible and error message indicates no SIM Card.  Under Settings for Sim Cards (phone is dual Sim) it indicates SIM slot 1 is empty, but the slide switch is green.  SIM slot 2 is also indicated as empty (which it is) and the slide switch is gray (inactive).  My PM account shows the call history with the correct phone numbers.

The Amazon seller indicated that this phone would work with PM, but now I am not so sure.  This particular model is not listed on the list of PM compatible phones.  It is a newer model.  

Is this phone too new for PM, or am I missing something in the set up?  Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@A_and_J  Out of curiosity, I assume that data did not work on the phone as well?

@A_and_J wrote:

Thx for feedback.  Cost me $130, came with case and scatch guard.

So does the A5pro and a way better phone...check it out. Reg. $175 should come up on a lightening deal in the next week or so....just check everyday. @Clive2  jumped on it with 18 min left in the sale after I suggested it. It's a very nice phone I'm a little envious of the bf and I have solid galaxy A3. Do you have a back up in the meantime?

@A_and_J wrote:

Apparently, this: https://www.amazon.ca/UMIDIGI-Unlocked-Smartphone-International-Breathing/dp/B07TFZS9MW/ref=gbps_img... is going on sale for $130 ish on a somewhat regular basis, if you are able to wait...

It's predecessor, the A3 Pro is availble for $136 right now. It's smaller than the A5 Pro, and runs Android 8.1 (which might need some tweaking to adjust the APN settings for Public Mobile...

Edit: Unbelivable - ninja'd again, by less than half a minute...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Wow, this phone is 2015 vintage and did not have great specs for that era.  Amazing they are still trying to sell it at such a healthy price.  I suggest initiating a return.  

Anyway the umidigi that darlicious was referring to is this one.  Umidigi products are sold without tax on Amazon which is a bonus.  This phone has been on sale at least 3 times for $130.  I would say it is pretty good for that price.  

https://www.amazon.ca/UMIDIGI-Unlocked-Smartphone-International-Version/dp/B07TFZS9MW/ref=sr_1_1_ssp...

A_and_J

A_and_J

Good suggestion.  Thx.  Did try another SIM from a different phone, but it was for PM.

@A_and_J  As far as I've read yes unless the manufacturer comes up with an update but it's not exactly a popular or large selling phone. Return n it and look anew. If you can get the my suggestion originally recommended by @will13am  and recently bought by @Clive2  and Santa for my bf you will be much happier....unless you can afford the F2 which is on my radar. How much was it anyways?

@A_and_J wrote:

So if it is a software issue then the phone is toast?

First, try a different sim card from another carrier to see if the phone detects any other sim card. Borrow it from a friend or family member to test.

A_and_J

So if it is a software issue then the phone is toast?

@A_and_J  This is a known but not so known software issue with this phone that it has difficulty reading pm Sims in particular as @TheGx  wrote about in his experience with one:

Don't buy maxwest phones such as nitro4x and ssr!!!

Just wanted to let people know that they have manufacture defect that make it not detect sim cards - tried koodoo and Public sims in it, but just assume others don't work either. It says no sim card instead of invalid sim etc, when there is a sim card in it.

Bought it at London Drugs on black friday, and the nice electronics manager at the Calgary heritage location replaced my crappy maxwest phone for a better phone which was awesome since I got a more expensive phone for all my troubles. The assistant store managers at the westhills location didn't even care to try to do anything for me exept refund my money, which made me feel unvalued as a consumer.

Anyways, the Public phone checking tool says the maxwest phones work on Public network, but because of this manufactures defect all sims don't work.

Please no permalink blah blah blah comments...i lost patience.....

Return the phone to Amazon...maybe by the time you get your refund the Umidigi  A5 pro will be back on sale for $135 cdn again.....

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@A_and_J  it's compatible. It must be or you wouldn't receive calls. No sim mesaage would be a software bug.

A_and_J

I have rebooted and reset the network several times.  Have moved the SIM card to the 2nd slot.  No difference.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@A_and_J Try rebooting your phone. Since it is a dual sim phone, make sure the slot you are using is capable of using the sim over LTE network. You might want to check settings to see if it is set to use LTE network. 

Need Help? Let's chat.