cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone has no service when at home, why?!

Fearful_Llama
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I bought my son a second hand Samsung s7 edge yesterday, we took his public mobile sim card from his old phone and put into the s7. However, it says there's no network connection, when we are home. When we go in town, his phone works fine. He can call, text and use the internet. So why does it not work when we are home? I don't understand. My phone is with public mobile also, and it works perfectly fine at home. His sim card is active and it worked on his old phone, but for some reason it won't connect to network when we are home. I've tried the APN settings, resetting, turn on/off etc.

Please any suggestions is greatly appreciated! 

14 REPLIES 14

As others have suggested, it's most likely a hardware issue.

One last suggestion you can try is to verify the right bands are enabled. They should be enabled by default. Dial *#2263# and check WCDMA 850 and WCDMA 1900 are enabled. For LTE, check the following are enabled: 2,4,5,7,12,13,17.

@Fearful_Llama  If you are fix it type person or you have a friend or family member that possesses the patience and DIY abilities then the antenna repair is relatively cheap and straightforward process. If it boggles the mind or you fear damaging the phone further your friendly neighborhood mobile repair person can probably do it for under $50 or cheaper if offered cash. Chances are your son might know a fellow student who can do it in their sleep. In the meantime for service at home put the SIM in the old phone.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Fearful_Llama 

Try this

OR

Try this    Or another iFixit 

I have repaired numerous iPhones and the antenna is a wire with a tricky connect to phone. If someone has replaced battery or screen they may have not put it back together properly. If you are handy, I highly recommend iFixit. Go slow and step by step. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fearful_Llama 

How about looking at what networks are being connected to. On my S7 (not Edge) it's under Settings/Mobile networks/Network mode.

See what options are there and set it to things having LTE and/or WCDMA and/or UMTS or even 4G and/or 3G.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Another vote for defective phone here.  Once an activated SIM is proven to work on any phone, that means there is nothing wrong with that account.  SIM cards are super robust and are not nearly as likely to fail as a phone.  Since the phone works in some areas and not others, that is evidence of a reception problem.  It is probably why the phone was sold in the first place.  

@Fearful_Llama  Without doing a little looking, is there any chance that S7 is a variant from another region, which could POSSIBLY mean it doesn't have the required bands to connect reliably, while further from town? Can you check on which particular model of S7 that is, and post it here..... although I'd lean towards the antenna problem, the variant just MIGHT be the issue.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Fearful_Llama wrote:

That would make sense I guess, is there a way to confirm if it's the antenna or something else?

Your son's SIM card is working in his old phone.  Therefore, it is not PM issue.

You tested  two SIM cards with this phone.

Therefore, it is the hardware problem with the s7. 

popping

@Fearful_Llama wrote:

When I put my sim card in the s7 it says same thing, no service 

Where did you purchase your s7?

Good luck if it is a private sales.

If you purchased the S7 from a store, you may get your money back or get a replacement.

Fearful_Llama

That would make sense I guess, is there a way to confirm if it's the antenna or something else?

popping

@Fearful_Llama wrote:

Hi there,

I bought my son a second hand Samsung s7 edge yesterday, we took his public mobile sim card from his old phone and put into the s7. However, it says there's no network connection, when we are home. When we go in town, his phone works fine. He can call, text and use the internet. So why does it not work when we are home? I don't understand. My phone is with public mobile also, and it works perfectly fine at home. His sim card is active and it worked on his old phone, but for some reason it won't connect to network when we are home. I've tried the APN settings, resetting, turn on/off etc.

Please any suggestions is greatly appreciated! 

The second hand s7 edge may have an antenna issue.  It works fine in an area with strong signal and does not work well in an weak area.  His old phone at home works well means that the second hand s7 phone is the problem.

Fearful_Llama

When I put my sim card in the s7 it says same thing, no service 

Fearful_Llama

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Fearful_Llama   I'm wondering since you bought the phone second hand if an antenna connection is broken inside, thus it works in town maybe closer to a tower.  Cheers

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Fearful_Llama try switching the two SIMS. This should tell us if its  a network or individual phone setting problem. Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.