cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone has been blacklisted

tonyzhang
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I have been using with Public Mobile since November 2015, until last week, it was working perfectly fine. Until a few days ago, I didn't even realize the phone stopped working. By stopped working I mean no phone calls, no text, no data (been using it through WiFi mostly so didn't notice it). At the top it would simply show "Unregistered SIM". First thing I did was put in another Public Mobile SIM to the phone, didn't work, then I put my SIM to another phone, works fine. So the problem is with the phone.

I Google'd "Unregistered SIM" and try many steps, like factory reset, checking the IMEI is still there (EFS not corrupted), leaving the phone in Plane mode for a while then turn that off, flashing to the latest firmware (6.0.1). All didn't work. Finally, I came across someone in a forum mentioning that the phone might be blacklisted, so I checked my IMEI against http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/ and to my surprise, it has indeed been blacklisted and that's the reason it stopped working.

The origins of the phone was not purchased from craigslist or kijiji. In fact it was used by only relatives and myself. It was first used with a relative who was with Telus when it was brand new. So I had that relative call in to Telus. Telus says they don't have the IMEI in their system so couldn't have been them. After the relative given me the phone (over a year ago), I was with Wind. So I called Wind. They said my account doesn't have an outstanding balance and no notes in my account that indicated my phone was lost or stolen. However that was the best they can do since I don't have an account with them any more. So lastly, I have opened a ticket with Public Mobile to see if they were the ones who has blacklisted my phone. I was told the request has been forwarded to remove my phone from blacklist with no ETA. They didn't really acknowledge that they were the ones who added my phone to the blacklist.

Which now brings me to my question, has anyone experienced this before? Are there anything else that I can do right now?

TL;DR Phone is blacklisted and need help to remove it from blacklist.

15 REPLIES 15

@SutherlandM64

Here is instructions to contact moderator:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-How-to-Contact-our-Community-M...

Recommendation:  do not send multiple message to moderators.  Each new message will put you further down the job list.  

Or just send a private message through the following link :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please include in the private message your phone number, your account number and PIN code.

SutherlandM64
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I get my phone off the blacklist IMEI 01 344000 891897 4

Public put on blacklist as stolen it was not stolen? How does one get it fixed or in-blacklisted?

how do I contact moderator to address this?

@makkahn28 Although it would be very unethical, CCTS could not possibly take action against an individual who knowingly sold a blacklisted phone. Their mandate is here:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/mandate

For that matter it is not even a crime to sell a blacklisted phone, since device could be blacklisted for reasons other than theft, and device DOES still work (just not on most North American carriers). People actually look for blacklisted devices, buy them cheaply, then resell them in places like Caribbean

@tonyzhang, if Phone is not removed from Blacklist, I'm not sure IF you would be able or even permitted to sell that handset, I'd first ask CCTS to see if that would be allowed, just to avoid any entanglements

tonyzhang

Thank you all for the suggestions. CCTS is my next planned move. I'm just giving PM some time to see if their request will come through (maybe they can resolve it!)

I'm just hoping for the best at this point. Otherwise, I guess I can always sell the phone internationally since it should still work in other countries.

@tonyzhang, I agree you should get CCTS on the prowl, they will determine what went wrong and make it right.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@tonyzhang Unfortunately the phone can be blacklisted easily. Restoring it is much tougher. As Public Mobile is prepaid they could not have done so.

It is most likely from an older Telus account (I am skeptical Wind would do so). Open a complaint with the CCTS as they are usually much quicker to resolve. 

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form

Even a person who has never seen your phone before can use your IMEI on their account (or worse a shady dealer).

Hi. At least you can still use phone via Wi-Fi.

Can you imagine if Blacklisted phones prevented even the basic functions?

If they did that, then the urgency would be higher.

If I were you, I'd try to get to the bottom of how phone ended up on the Blackbook in the first place, as this would be my first question, so that it never happens again

tonyzhang

Actually I am using Google Hangout to dial out right now and between friends/family I use other chat apps for calls and messages.

@tonyzhang If you install a VOIP app, like that from fongo.com, you could at least send/receive free calls while connected to wifi. Just a stop gap measure until you get your phone out of jail.

Also, if you are willing to post your locale and phone's SIM size there may be someone nearby willing to lend a spare phone for a few days. You never know what's available without asking.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@tonyzhang,

Sure, keep us posted.

Have a good weekend 🙂

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

tonyzhang

Hi @Shazia_K,

Yes I have been in email communication with someone from PM on this problem. He has forwarded the request to remove my phone's IMEI from the blacklist. However there is no ETA and am told to check back after the weekend.

Thanks,

Tony

tonyzhang

Indeed, yesterday I emailed to CWTA (who was in charge of that website for checking IMEI on blacklist). They told me they can't see who added the IMEI to the list and I should contact the carriers (all of them that could have done this). So hopefully PM comes through and fix this. If they didn't add it then I don't think they can remove it (as I'm told). My last resort would be to file a complaint to CCTS and hope for the best from there.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @tonyzhang,

I'm sorry to hear about this, 

I can see that you were into contact with one of our customer service agents. 

He has sent you an email regarding this matter, can you please view it?

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Hi. Yes, that's extremely odd. Because only few reasons for phones to be blacklisted and from what you stated,that shouldn't have occurred at all.

Continue to stay atop of this, as this may have been in error by someone, or potentially a glitch.

Hopefully your phone will have that issue lifted and that you are able to resume to use your phone again 

Need Help? Let's chat.