cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone goes blank when checking voicemail or after dialing a number

MarkAlfred
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello.  I have a talk and text account with Public Mobile.  I recently got a used phone, Samsung Galaxy Nexus (aka Maguro), with Android 4.  Because Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is no longer supported, I upgraded this with the free Android based alternative Lineage, version 13 (which is based on Android 6).  Lineage is supported with regular updates, and it works well.  My phone has the Public Mobile sim card in it, and it does receive calls and messages, and I can send text messages easily enough.

However, the voice mail is not working properly.  When I enter my number, or if I press 1 and hold, it goes to voicemail, asking me to enter my passcode.  I cannot do this, however, because the phone goes blank for the duration of the call.  Nothing I do will bring the screen back to life during the call.  Only after the call is done can I bring the screen back to life via pressing the power button.

Under setup, the voicemail number is listed as +16475804001, which I assume is the Telus voicemail number.  "Service" is listed as "Your carrier".  Occasionally on my homescreen it will have "Public Mobile" listed at top, but not always.

6 REPLIES 6

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MarkAlfred thanks for the update!  Glad to hear all is well. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

MarkAlfred
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes, my internet searches turned up the proximity sensor as the most likely issue.  I have solved this problem.  Basically, I pulled out the battery for 15 minutes, and then put it back in and restarted it.  Problem solved.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MarkAlfred most phones turn off the screen during a call if it detects you're holding it up to it's face.  It's possible the detection is not working correctly.  I think there's usually a proximity sensor.  I wonder if you would still have the issue with the stock ROM as well?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I agree with @will13am. Totally nothing to do with PM. Try using a different dialer from the app store like Google dialer. You can always check XDA forums to see if they have some patches for that issue specifically. Just make sure to save your contacts in case of anything going wrong .

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@MarkAlfred, it is time to get different software or a new phone.  There is nothing wrong with the voice mail service.  The dialer on the version of lineage you are using must be broken. 

Need Help? Let's chat.