cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone doesn't show any mobile network to connect to

wilckraft
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I'm using a new unlocked Nokia 1 and I have inserted a public mobile Sim card.  I can see Wifi networks but the mobile network is greyed out, as though it isn't functioning.  Has any one else experienced this issue?

Thanks for any insight you can give about this problem.

28 REPLIES 28

avitro
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

you'd better to check communications that your phone support... here special platform for this - https://www.deviceranks.com/en

wilckraft

Thanks!  This was the exact issue.

wilckraft

Thank you for everyone for your assistance.  It was the SIM card after all, I had installed it according to the diagram that came with my phone, but it was incorrect.  It is working fine now.  Thanks again!

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wilckraft wrote:

Hi

I'm using a new unlocked Nokia 1 and I have inserted a public mobile Sim card.  I can see Wifi networks but the mobile network is greyed out, as though it isn't functioning.  Has any one else experienced this issue?

I've seen Sony and other phones which have a hard time making a good connection with certain SIM cards.  Power off and re-insert it to see if it makes a difference.

Also, the Nokia 1 from what I can see has a SD card that stacks on top of the SIM card.  Make sure you're not putting the SIM card in SIM card slot and not the SD card slot (on top).

nokia-1-review-4

@wilckraft wrote:

Hi

In the system info it shows the model # as TA-1079.  I don't see any RM # on either the phone or the box.  Thanks for your help today.

Regardless, it looks like even the less favorable versions of the Nokia 1 should still work.  I do notice that amazon.ca does sell this phone directly.  Is that where you got it from?  

It is entirely possible that there is an issue beyond your control.  But first, I would check you network settings to ensure that you aren't on 2g network mode.

ipkonfig

Is the network showing up when you put the SIM card of some other service provider within the country? Also are you trying to use the nano-sim or micro-sim card slot?

Tony8

Hi, If this phone has dual SIM slots, did you try switching to the other slot?

wilckraft

Hi

In the system info it shows the model # as TA-1079.  I don't see any RM # on either the phone or the box.  Thanks for your help today.

@wilckraft wrote:

HI

I have the variant sold in Canada.

Do you have the exact model number of that variant?  It starts with RM.

wilckraft

HI

I have the variant sold in Canada.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@wilckraft which variant is it?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

wilckraft

HI

No, this phone is brand new from factory.  Thanks.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Either way, there are different variants of the Nokia 1 available around the world.  There are versions of this phone that have both UMTS bands 2 and 5. 

@computergeek541 are you sure?  I only saw 3 variants on GSM Arena (https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_1-9052.php) and all lacked 1900MHz

Nokia Canada shows one variant having UMTS band 2 and 5. https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_ca/nokia-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbq27ueb4gIVDdvACh24NAIaEAAYASAAEgLstfD...

"Network and connectivity

• Network speed LTE Cat. 4, (EMEA and APAC regions - GSM850/900/1800/1900, WCDMA 1,5,8. LTE cat4, B1,3,5,7,8,20,38,40), (LAM AND AUSTRALIA regions - GSM850/900/1800/1900. WCDMA 1,2,4,5,8. LTE cat4, B1,2,3,4,5,7,8,20,28,38,40), GSM900/1800. WCDMA 1,8. LTE cat4, B1,3,5,40,41"

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

Either way, there are different variants of the Nokia 1 available around the world.  There are versions of this phone that have both UMTS bands 2 and 5. 

@computergeek541 are you sure?  I only saw 3 variants on GSM Arena (https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_1-9052.php) and all lacked 1900MHz

EDIT yikes I missed that the Latin American viariant has both 850 and 1900.  My bad!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

Using a phone without both B2 and B5 UMTS bands is probably not a great idea.  There is another possibility, though.  @wilckraft could this phone be locked to another provider, maybe one back in India, Latin America, or the EMEA/APAC regions (regions where this phone was originally sold)?

@geopublic wrote:

Noted with thanks. So in this case the fact that the OP cannot connect to the PM network is not related to his phone only supporting B5?

That isn't an issue unless there is no UMTS band 5 available in that area. 

Either way, there are different variants of the Nokia 1 available around the world.  There are versions of this phone that have both UMTS bands 2 and 5.  There are also some Nokia 1 devices that have pretty good LTE support for use with Public Mobile.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@wilckraft wrote:

Hi

@wilckraft  That phone does not have any of the required LTE bands and only has the B5 (850) for 3G so it will be very limited on the PM network. Means no data for sure.

For more info click here.

The "3g" network is fully capable of carrying both voice and data.  LTE is not required for data usage.

So with B5 I can get data and voice without any issues?

Both UMTS bands 2 and 5 carry both vocie and data.  Band 5 alone will just mean less network capacity available to this member, and it's also possible that a particular place only has UMTS band 2 available.  I can't see many places not having UMTS Band 5 because its lower frequency would be needed largely for indoor use.  The most likely thing is just slower data speeds. 

LTE compatibility has never been a requirement to use Public Mobile.

Noted with thanks. So in this case the fact that the OP cannot connect to the PM network is not related to his phone only supporting B5?

wilckraft

Hi again

Because the network is greyed out, I can't access any of the steps farther down in that set-up chain.

@geopublic wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@wilckraft wrote:

Hi

@wilckraft  That phone does not have any of the required LTE bands and only has the B5 (850) for 3G so it will be very limited on the PM network. Means no data for sure.

The "3g" network is fully capable of carrying both voice and data.  LTE is not required for data usage.

Both UMTS bands 2 and 5 carry both vocie and data.  Band 5 alone will just mean less network capacity available to this member, and it's also possible that a particular place only has UMTS band 2 available.  I can't see many places not having UMTS Band 5 because its lower frequency would be needed largely for indoor use.  The most likely thing is just slower data speeds. 

LTE compatibility has never been a requirement to use Public Mobile.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@wilckraft wrote:

Hi

@geopublic wrote:

@wilckraft wrote:

Hi

wilckraft

Hi

I only have the 3G plan and will not need data.  I'm hoping that this phone will be capable of that.  Thanks.

wilckraft

Hi Will

Yes, I have an active account.  I'll try the set-up that you linked to and post a another reply.  Thank you very much.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@wilckraft wrote:

Hi

Edit: Thanks @computergeek541 

Tiprix

@wilckraft here are few things you can try to get it to work:

1.  Restart your phone
  2.  Remove your SIM card and put it back
  3. make sure Airplane mode is OFF
  4. Check you're connected to correct network/reset network settings
  5. Check if you need to update any software (phone updates)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@wilckraft, are you able to login to the self serve account and confirm that the account is active and loaded with the required plan?  Can you also try out the set up suggested on this site.

https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/nokia/1/android-8-1/guides/22/Set-up-Internet-Nokia-1

wilckraft

Hi

I checked with Nokia and they said that yes, it is compatible, and I've also tried the reset several times.  Thanks for responding.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi There,

Have you checked to make sure that your phone supports the Telus/Public Mobile network?

You might need to reset your network settings.....

Need Help? Let's chat.