cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone dies frequently even though battery is 50% plus, and plan is in good standing

DuncanP
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm very frustrated with Telus and/or Public Mobile because my iphone shuts off frequently at the worst possible time - EVEN though;

[A] my plan is in good standing "prepaid, auto pay", and

[B] my mobile iphone Battery is always above 50%. 

The only way to resolve get my phone working again is to find a power outlet and plug the phone in to charge.  I can turn it on when connected to power immediately and guess what ?  I see that my battery is still at or about 50%.  Please help me as this is either Telus/Public Mobile or Apple automatically shutting down my services without cause.

This has happened too many times, and I'm quickly loosing confidence in your service. 

This is NOT the service I expected - FIX it.  

Please resolve or I'll move my business elsewhere   

13 REPLIES 13

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DuncanP wrote:

I'm very frustrated with Telus and/or Public Mobile because my iphone shuts off frequently at the worst possible time - EVEN though;

[A] my plan is in good standing "prepaid, auto pay", and

[B] my mobile iphone Battery is always above 50%. 

The only way to resolve get my phone working again is to find a power outlet and plug the phone in to charge.  I can turn it on when connected to power immediately and guess what ?  I see that my battery is still at or about 50%.  Please help me as this is either Telus/Public Mobile or Apple automatically shutting down my services without cause.

This has happened too many times, and I'm quickly loosing confidence in your service. 

This is NOT the service I expected - FIX it.  

Please resolve or I'll move my business elsewhere   

Did you buy the phone from Telus?  This isn't a service issue. Your issue is with your phone. Your battery is dropping voltage. It could be from age. Is it very cold when you use it? Some battteries don't work well when it gets colder. Going elsewhere won't fix this if you still use the same defective phone.

Further to my earlier reply, @DuncanP , even changing the battery may not completely solve the problem.

The person I referenced in my earlier post (i.e. re the 'cold' effect) DID participate in the battery replacement program Apple was offering in this matter.   The battery was replaced about 14 months ago and is still showing a battery health well over 90%.   

YET, the battery still misbehaves in cold weather.   This was a problem created by an Apple designed update to it's system - it's the subject of many past irate customers of iPhone 6 models and operating systems.

The replacement battery DID solve abrupt shut-downs the phone was experiencing, however the strange battery percentages when going from warm to cold settings still leave much to be desired.

I would recommend taking it to the Apple store and they can run a complete diagnostic, free of charge, on the battery system and health.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@TheGx wrote:

The battery problem with all iPhone 6 as mentioned above, was subject of class action lawsuit because of Apple manufacturing problem, so Apple fixed this for free - bring your iPhone to Apple store and they should fix for free.

@TheGx Too late.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/cheap-iphone-battery-swaps-ending/

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The battery problem with all iPhone 6 as mentioned above, was subject of class action lawsuit because of Apple manufacturing problem, so Apple fixed this for free - bring your iPhone to Apple store and they should fix for free.

Hoserdave
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Im guessing you have an older iPhone? 

Apple had battery issues in and around the 6th gen and having a new replacement installed can cost about $100.

This fixed my problems about a year or two ago.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Is it possible that your battery is a bit loose?

My Huawei had the same issues and i just put a little foam sticker on the battery cover and haven't had problem with that since 2016.

Another phone i had would do that on winter when I'm outside for long time, while the phone is cold and i try to use it it would shut down at 60+% and when I restart it it would show 1%. I had to make sure it's in the inner pocket course to me and still wouldn't use it for at least 30 minutes after getting inside.

Try different phone

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@DuncanP  The best method to assess your battery's health is a mac using coconut battery. Without a mac best you can do is Settings >> Battery >> Battery Health.

BTW: have seen reports of this issue being more frequent with the 6s.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@DuncanP PM has no control over your phone. Seems like a battery issue. One of my old Samsung died at 20% of the battery, and the device was 8+ years old. After changing the battery, the problem disappeared.

Oracle365
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Curious. Did you buy your phone from Public Mobile? It does sound like a phone problem, not a service issue. Have you already tried looking into apps that may be running in the background (I would uninstall any app you don't use often, and delete anything (photos, files, downloads etc.) that would use unnecessary space. If your phone is still under warranty, then it would be a good idea to talk to the company you bought your phone from, directly. Best of luck.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@DuncanP, is this happening when you happen to be in colder settings?

Certain iPhone models/systems are notorious for displaying a charge which may be over 50%, then when the user exposes the phone to cold temperatures, the phone charge displays much lower battery availability, and may even shut down.

I know this from personal experience from being with someone whose iPhone did EXACTLY that.  When this user re-entered a warm space and plugged in the phone, it immediately showed about 50-60% charge.

You would have to ask Apple why their technology is designed to perform in this manner.   Frankly, I think it's horrid - I'm very thankful my non-Apple does not do this.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DuncanP :I agree with the above post that the problem is with the battery of your phone and nothing to do with your phone company, you should replace your battery by going to wherever you bought your phone. Also tell us how long you've owned your phone and where did you purchase it? Was it new or used when you bought it?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@DuncanP   Are you able to try your SIM in another phone.  I'd agree that it sounds like the issue is related to your phone.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@DuncanP 

Public Mobile has no control in shutting your phone down. It is an issue with your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.