cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone died, buying new one - Will sim work in my new phone?

rickstevens
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My current phone died, in the process of buying a new unlocked phone will I be able to use my sim card in my new phone or do I have to register it with PM?

Yes, I will make sure it is compatible but once that is done and I know PM works in that phone can I use my sim card in the new phone?

Thank you.

54 REPLIES 54

Yes, that will be fine if they are already on the other devices.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't know anything about Apple phones but I hear they are pretty good.

Mimi33
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for the advise JoyLuck, regarding backing up the 5s phone that I am eliminating from my account.  I have an iPad and MacBook, along with the 5s and my new iPhone 8 under the same Apple ID, so they all have the same contacts and photo's.  If I don't back up 5s phone will I be ok because contacts, photo's are in the other devices.  It takes hours to back it up and want to avoid doing it if I can. Thanks again!

My wife and I both use the same Apple ID which works great when adding or switching devices. So, by adding your new phone before removing the old one almost everything updates to the new phone except pictures stored on the device. Or it seems to be that way for me at least. But I am far from an expert on this stuff (as many of you can now tell).

AE_Collector

Just to add. 

If you are keeping the 5S. I assume you have it set up for PM.  Leave it that way. Don’t do a restore unless you change carrier, give it away or sell it. Then it will remain ready, as a backup,  to put PM SIM back in. But try the backup and restore to your 8. 

@Mimi33 

You might want to back up your 5s before you do a full reset. The new phone could then be restored using the 5S backup. The 5S no longer has iOS updates while the 8 does. There might be an iOS incompatibility that could prevent the 5S back up to restore the 8. But if it works.....less hassle for you. 

@Mimi33  a factory reset puts it back to basically before it was ever used. Unless it was it locked to an old provider. Then the reset leaves the old providers info on, if it was rooted into the phone.

Back up first...otherwise you will lose photos, contacts, etc.

You will lose photos, videos, contacts, etc once you do a factory reset.

Mimi33

Thanks to both JoyLuck and gblackma.  Learning all the time.  Appreciate your help.  Stay safe.

Mimi33

Hi JoyLuck

Maybe I am asking a stupid question. Once I remove the SIM I am not sure what my old phone will have stored in it.  Maybe nothing but I am not sure if everything is stored on the SIM card or if there is a trail left on the old phone if another SIM is used.

@Mimi33  you can factory reset any phone with the sim removed.

Yes,

You can remove the SIM card and then do a factory reset. I would back up personal data first eg. photos, contacts, etc.

Mimi33

Thank you JoyLuck for your quick response.  I already know how to return the phone to factory settings.  My question was:

Would you know if I can reset the 5s phone after I remove the SIM card.  I sure don't want to do this before as I don't want to lose my "stuff".   

Hoping you can advise. Thanks again.

Wipe your iPhone for a fresh start (or sale)
  1. Tap Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap 'Erase all content and settings'
  3. Enter passcode/Face ID/fingerprint.
  4. Tap 'Erase iPhone/iPad'
  5. Enter Apple ID password.
  6. Your iPhone/iPad will now factory reset.

Mimi33

Hello AE_Collector

I have been trying to research a few things before I start the following process:  Not sure who may be able to provide me with information for Apple phones.  Hoping you can help or refer me to someone who can.  I am ugrading my phone from iPhone 5s to iPhone 8. The 8 is refurbished unlocked and ready for set up. Fairly certain than I can just move SIM card to new phone with no issues. My question is that I want to strip the 5s to factory setting, and keep it for emergency.  Would you know if I can reset the 5s phone after I remove the SIM card.  I sure don't want to do this before as I don't want to lose my "stuff".  I want to remove the phone from my Apple account and I know how to do that part.  Just not sure what can be done to remove all my pesonal information from the 5s once the SIM is removed.  

@rickstevens, if the SIM card is smaller than what your current SIM or vice versa, go to a Best Buy, and they will help you with no service charge. I did this for my neighbour, and Best Buy Mobile said no service charge. 

Then again, I was thrilled with that, that I ended up giving that staff member a gift card to Starbucks for helping me out in a jam! 

@rickstevens wrote:

Thank you everyone, you help is very much appreciated.  Love this community, everyone helps out where they can.

Everyone stay healthy and safe.

Rick

I'm trying to convince my partner we should get infected asap before the ICUs are overrun! 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can put it in your new phone as long as it is the correct size usually nano sim.  If you use data then you may need to setup the APN settings.

rickstevens
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you everyone, you help is very much appreciated.  Love this community, everyone helps out where they can.

Everyone stay healthy and safe.

Rick

If not same size and you can punch out to smaller......great. 

If you you need bigger and you kept the original SIM card then the pieces should be there to make larger. Or you may have to buy a SIM adapter. Google Nano Noosy. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@rickstevens 

You can use your SIM card on the new phone as network access is identified by your SIM card.

Bring your PM SIM card with your to test the new phone before buying.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@rickstevens What is the model of your new phone? If it is the same as the one died, yes, it will work with PM and your old SIM card.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@rickstevens wrote:

My current phone died, in the process of buying a new unlocked phone will I be able to use my sim card in my new phone or do I have to register it with PM?

Yes, I will make sure it is compatible but once that is done and I know PM works in that phone can I use my sim card in the new phone?

Thank you.

Yes, you can as long as it is the same size sim required.  The PM sims are a triple punch so you may need an adapter if you need a bigger sim or punch out to a smaller sim but there is no need to purchase a new sim as long as the phone is compatible

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Yes, just move your SIM card to your new phone! The only possible problem is that the two phones use different size SIM Cards. There are three sizes but in recent years most sims can be snapped out of larger frames if a smaller size is needed. Bigger problem would be if your SIM is already smaller than the new phone uses but most new phones likely use the smallest size SIM now.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.