cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone compatible?

nunomarie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi can any one tell me if the Alcatel Tetra, OT-5041C, 5.0", 16GB ROM, 2GB RAM,, Android 8.1 Oreo, 4G LTE is compatible with Public Mobile?

Thank you in advance

16 REPLIES 16

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nunomarie wrote:

Hi can any one tell me if the Alcatel Tetra, OT-5041C, 5.0", 16GB ROM, 2GB RAM,, Android 8.1 Oreo, 4G LTE is compatible with Public Mobile?

Thank you in advance

That phone will be fine.

There have been reports of problems setting up data with 8.1 in general but maybe not this specific phone. There are workarounds though.

The issue with Rogers etc is that they still use the old 2G GSM. That will be getting phased out next year iirc.

As long as a phone supports the UMTS and LTE bands though Rogers' legacy GSM network still being in operation shouldn't matter. 

Yes of course. I was addressing other posts talking about Rogers. I guess I could have been clearer in saying "still use the old" to mean that an old phone that worked there might not work here. Or even a newer phone that is GSM only. The phone in question is a newer modern phone being sold in Canada.

Makes sense, yeah. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jor123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

That phone will be fine.

There have been reports of problems setting up data with 8.1 in general but maybe not this specific phone. There are workarounds though.

The issue with Rogers etc is that they still use the old 2G GSM. That will be getting phased out next year iirc.

As long as a phone supports the UMTS and LTE bands though Rogers' legacy GSM network still being in operation shouldn't matter. 

Yes of course. I was addressing other posts talking about Rogers. I guess I could have been clearer in saying "still use the old" to mean that an old phone that worked there might not work here. Or even a newer phone that is GSM only bought elsewhere. The phone in question is a newer modern phone being sold in Canada.

jor123

@Anonymous wrote:

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

That phone will be fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

That phone will be fine.

jor123

Yup, everyone's moved off of CDMA technologies now. Thankfully.. 

zero_gravity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@jor123 wrote:

@zero_gravity wrote:

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

Any unlocked LTE phone should work. PM is owned by Telus and therefore useses the same towers and technology. They also share towers with bell.

So basically if your phone works on Telus, Koodo, bell, virgin it'll work with PM. Rogers and Fido use a different technology so if it's one of theirs that would need to be looked into.

Rogers/Fido use the same bands don't they? The only issue would be whether or not the phone is unlocked to accept a telus sim card?

I stand corrected. Seems they use a mix of LTE and UMTS these days.

jor123

@zero_gravity wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

@zero_gravity wrote:

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

Any unlocked LTE phone should work. PM is owned by Telus and therefore useses the same towers and technology. They also share towers with bell.

So basically if your phone works on Telus, Koodo, bell, virgin it'll work with PM. Rogers and Fido use a different technology so if it's one of theirs that would need to be looked into.

Rogers/Fido use the same bands don't they? The only issue would be whether or not the phone is unlocked to accept a telus sim card?

I'm not sure what frequency bands they use, but Rogers and Fido use something different than LTE. Can't remember what it is off the top of my head. Thing is it's not a technology specific to Rogers just as LTE isn't specific to bell. Most phones can handle either one.

Rogers still uses LTE, and UMTS/HSPA like TELUS does. The only difference was back in the CDMA days where Bell and TELUS phones were totally incompatible with Rogers' GSM/UMTS devices. 

zero_gravity

@jor123 wrote:

@zero_gravity wrote:

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

I'm not sure what frequency bands they use, but Rogers and Fido use something different than LTE. Can't remember what it is off the top of my head. Thing is it's not a technology specific to Rogers just as LTE isn't specific to bell. Most phones can handle either one.

zero_gravity

@computergeek541 wrote:

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

Since it's running Android 8.1, the ability to add APN settings could be a factor.  I have not tried this specific phone model.

Having used 8.1 on my previous phone, I can say first hand that you can change the APN settings. Same goes for Android 9. However, I found that with both 8.1 and 9 it picked up on its own without having to put any settings in.

The APN settings are still there and aren't going anywhere.

jor123

@zero_gravity wrote:

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

zero_gravity

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

Since it's running Android 8.1, the ability to add APN settings could be a factor.  I have not tried this specific phone model.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

@nunomarie  Yes it will work. The phone has  HSPA/UMTS 850/1900/2100 4G LTE 2/4/5/12;Would have been nice to have band 7 for LTE but will still work.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check the phone specs. Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands: 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS). HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS). Please note that this information is indicative only. Your phone's compatibility with our 4G or 4G LTE networks is based on the radio frequencies of your phone. Public Mobile does not guarantee that your phone will work on our mobile network.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@nunomarie wrote:

Thank you in advance

As @GR mentioned, https://willmyphonework.net/ is your best source for compatibility. The PM checker is not reliable.

GR
Mayor / Maire

Check willmyphonework.net 

Need Help? Let's chat.