cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone compatibility?

Sfairbank
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just switched to  new phone, using the SIM card from my old phone. The only network the new phone is recognizing is Telus. I can send/receive texts, but not calls. The new phone is a Moto G Power, 2020 version.  When I was shopping for a phone, it seemed this was compatible. Is this a compatibility issue, or???

4 REPLIES 4

Sfairbank
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks, everyone. Maybe it was a temporary glitch as my new phone was setting itself up, but after I removed the SIM card and then reinstalled it, it seems to be working fine now.

@darlicious wrote:

@Sfairbank 

Do you have the phone set to 4G/LTE only?  Here are my settings on my moto g7+.

Screenshot_20210614-183930~2.pngScreenshot_20210614-184001.png

More recent Android models don't usually have an LTE-only setting, at least not one that is in the settings menus. The option still does exist, but it's no usually easily accessible unless going through hidden software menus (that on some phones override the settings in the regular menus).  I agree that is still worth checking for and that it is still possible, but that it's not as likely as it was maybe 5 to 10 years ago.

@Sfairbank 

Do you have the phone set to 4G/LTE only?  Here are my settings on my moto g7+.

Screenshot_20210614-183930~2.pngScreenshot_20210614-184001.png

@Sfairbank wrote:

I just switched to  new phone, using the SIM card from my old phone. The only network the new phone is recognizing is Telus. I can send/receive texts, but not calls. The new phone is a Moto G Power, 2020 version.  When I was shopping for a phone, it seemed this was compatible. Is this a compatibility issue, or???

Telus is Public Mobile's network.  There can be different variants of phones, but to quickly check compatibiliy, I would suggest quickly setting the network type to 3g only mode. If you're still picking up a Telus or Public Mobile network, then the phone is compabile.  This type of network is required for phone calls at Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.