cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone compatibility with Public Mobile

Jcbdrs1998
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello everyone!

I plan to buy a new phone soon, I think the phone will be compatible with Public Mobile, but I just want to be sure.

The phone network specs is the following :

2G GSM: 1900/1800/850/900(B2/3/5/8)

3G WCDMA:

2100/900(B1/8)

4G FDD-LTE: 2100/1800/2600/900/800(B1/3/7/8/20)

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12

@slash407 wrote:

they all work if they accept sim, the website has a page to look it up as well if ur worried

There are many phones from China, from Austrailia, from United Kingdom, from wherever that accept sim cards that will not work at all with Public Mobile.  The phone must have compatible technology and frequency bands.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I understand there are decent phones direct from China, but they are few and far between, and not something the average buyer would be wise to venture into.  Even with the best China phones, the support is close to non existant.  Another downside is potential malware, so bad it is rooted into the phone, so it is impossible to get rid of.  If it breaks, or arrives not working,  you got yourself a door stop with little recourse.    They are not even that cheap.  

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bridonca wrote:

Don't buy your first phone direct from China please!  The phones are not optimised for the North American market, and if something does go wrong with the phone, you have no real recourse. 

There are lots of great phones that you can buy from China. You just have to do your research, read some reviews, and make sure that it has the necessary bands to work on the Public Mobile network. For anyone looking to not spend a bundle, I would actually recommend purchasing from China. But you have to do some legwork first.

GC

Jcbdrs1998

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Jcbdrs1998

Thanks to eceveryo for your help!

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't buy your first phone direct from China please!  The phones are not optimised for the North American market, and if something does go wrong with the phone, you have no real recourse. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@Jcbdrs1998

Here is some more information:

Public Mobile uses these Frequency spectrums:

3G: 850/1900 MHZ

4G LTE: 1700/2100 MHZ

4G LTE Advance: 700 MHZ ( Side note: This frequency isn't available as of yet, Telus needs to build and fully assemble this, and Handsets need to have this frequency built-in to fully take advantage of this particular spectrum)

I know you're just providing that information based on what Public Mobile has posted previously, but the LTE information is outdated.  LTE isn't just on Band 4. In addition, LTE Advanced (LTE+) service is already available on multiple LTE Bands, including Band 4.

Yes there are other bands like B2, B5 for example.  The most popular LTE band is B4.  Looking for B4 will ensure virtually 99% LTE coverage.  Anyway, this phone only has one LTE band (B7) that is compatible but fails on 3G which makes the phone useless for phone calls. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Jcbdrs1998 wrote:

Hello everyone!

I plan to buy a new phone soon, I think the phone will be compatible with Public Mobile, but I just want to be sure.

3G WCDMA:

2100/900(B1/8)

Thank you!

For future checks to see if a phone will work use this site willmyphonework.net

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Dunkman wrote:

@Jcbdrs1998

4G LTE Advance: 700 MHZ ( Side note: This frequency isn't available as of yet, Telus needs to build and fully assemble this, and Handsets need to have this frequency built-in to fully take advantage of this particular spectrum)

I know you're just providing that information based on what Public Mobile has posted previously, but the LTE information is outdated.  LTE isn't just on Band 4. In addition, LTE Advanced (LTE+) service is already available on multiple LTE Bands, including Band 4.

@Jcbdrs1998 wrote:

Hello everyone!

3G WCDMA:

2100/900(B1/8)

Thank you!

Absolutely, do not purchase this phone.

It will not work at all to make or receive any phone calls

Data and text messaging will work some of the time, but your signal wil be very weak and you'll probably have no signal in many places.

@Jcbdrs1998

The HSPA+4G Network has NO 2G GSM Fall back, so Check prior to purchasing. 

USE THIS Link:                         http://www.willmyphonework.net/ 

To check out whether your handset will work on the Network

EDIT: (More up-to-date information)

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Knowledge article: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started/ta-p/162

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jcbdrs1998, I don't think you have the required 3G bands (for talk) - 1900/850. Also, the phone does not have band 4 -which is the primary band for 4G (data).

What is the exact model?

Need Help? Let's chat.