cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone blacklisted after 3 month of use with public mobile

combo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought a S9 from a guy on kijiji and I used it for over 3 months with public mobile. Suddenly it does not work anymore. I called Samsung. They say that this phone has been declared lost or stolen (blacklisted). It's incomprehensible. Is there a way to use it again?

8 REPLIES 8

Is there any way to figure out who blocked it?

@Lemony_Snicket wrote:

It sounds like the guy that sold the phone didn't pay off the device balance and skipped town.  Carriers use the blacklist to address these kinds of situations.  Kijiji is a very dangerous marketplace for dealing doubtful merchandise.  Buyer beware.

Some have fought carriers over this and won. Customers are supposed to request that carriers blacklist for lost or stolen devices. Carrriers were never supposed to use it to settle billing.

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It sounds like the guy that sold the phone didn't pay off the device balance and skipped town.  Carriers use the blacklist to address these kinds of situations.  Kijiji is a very dangerous marketplace for dealing doubtful merchandise.  Buyer beware.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Be very cautious about buying used goods from someone you do not know. Always best to by used from an authorised retailer or someone you do know. KIJIJI sales or purchases can be difficult.

@popping wrote:

I always ask seller to sign a bill of sale agreement when I buy used items.  But in your case, I am not sure whether it will help your situation to unblacklisted.

I'm not sure that a receipt will help.  This only helps prove that you bought something from this person.  How many people are going to take someone to court?

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I sure hope you have the info of this guy when you bought it. I never buy a used phone without a signed bill of sale and a look at their drivers licence to verify the info is not fake to cover me. It also makes the guy who sells it think twice about being a dic and pulling this kind of stuff on you.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If the phone is blacklisted that has nothing to do with Public Mobile. It would have happened with any provider but I'm sure you know that. Very sorry to hear it happened but it may very well have been stolen or found and sold on to you and the orginal owner just figued out how to report it.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@combo wrote:

I bought a S9 from a guy on kijiji and I used it for over 3 months with public mobile. Suddenly it does not work anymore. I called Samsung. They say that this phone has been declared lost or stolen (blacklisted). It's incomprehensible. Is there a way to use it again?

No much you can do unless you can find the seller.

I always ask seller to sign a bill of sale agreement when I buy used items.  But in your case, I am not sure whether it will help your situation to unblacklisted.

Need Help? Let's chat.