cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone automatic make call to a number to use up minutes

laurenluo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I checked my usage history and find there are many times outgoing call to a number 3065804001, that used up my minutes. It is like a hidden hand to use my phone. Each time it lasts only few seconds, less than 10 second. Is there someone has this experience? And who made this bug?

20 REPLIES 20

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@wwpm wrote:

Thank-you for your quick response.  Yes I did access my voice mail.   Do you know what is out going phone #  474663 is this also related to reset voicemail password?

Thanks in advance

Note that 474663 spells "GPHONE" or "IPHONE". I believe it's the phone trying to activate visual voicemail, which Public Mobile doesn't support. If it's android, you might be able to disable some testing permissions for your "phone" app.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wwpm : The odd number is your phone calling its OS servers to sync things up.

wwpm

Thanks that make sense.

wwpm

Thank-you for your quick response.  Yes I did access my voice mail.   Do you know what is out going phone #  474663 is this also related to reset voicemail password?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wwpm : That is the voicemail access number. When a call comes in and it drops to voicemail, it's actually a form of call-forwarding. That's the number. Or when you check voicemail it actually calls that number.

@wwpm 

@wwpm wrote:

I just activated my phone, in the call history has outgoing call to 3065804001 twice.

Don't know why, try to contact Public Mobile helpdesk.

Your phone was accessing the voicemail.  That number is the voice mail access number.  It should not use up any minutes if you are on a limited talk plan (ie. $15 plan) unless you decide to check your voicemail via your cell phone.  

wwpm

I just activated my phone, in the call history has outgoing call to 3065804001 twice.

Don't know why, try to contact Public Mobile helpdesk.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@happycamper wrote:

there is a simple workaround: 

• dial into your voicemail and log in with your PIN. 
  • In the main menu, press 3 (manage greetings),
  • then 4 (manage extended absence greeting),
  • then 2 (record a new extended absence greeting) and record a message that indicates to your caller you are not accepting messages. 
  • Then press 4 to turn on extended absence
  • Finally, press 5 to disallow anyone to leave you a message.  Problem solved!

NOTE:  I can confirm this configuration does indeed work, and prevents the caller from leaving a message. I walked through it to make sure I had the right directions, and then tested by calling myself from another phone.  When you dial in, it plays the extended absence greeting you recorded, and then a system voice says "Thank you for calling, goodbye." and the call disconnects.

In my test extended greeting, I said "Hi, this is <my name>.  Sorry I'm unavailable right now.  At this time, I am not accepting new messages.  If you need to reach me, please send me a text or email, or try me again later.  Thank you.".  But of course, say whatever you like in yours!

@happycamper if you're going to copy my message https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl... verbatim, could you please at least tag me?  Or better yet, link to the post I pasted above.  🙂  Thank you!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Rao wrote:

Is there anyway I can cancel my voice mail, I really don't need that

Here is a solution to checking your voicemail from your phone without using up minutes from another thread by @gblackma :

I'm on the same plan and to save more, add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter - and you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used.

Stay safe.

happycamper
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

there is a simple workaround: 

• dial into your voicemail and log in with your PIN. 
  • In the main menu, press 3 (manage greetings),
  • then 4 (manage extended absence greeting),
  • then 2 (record a new extended absence greeting) and record a message that indicates to your caller you are not accepting messages. 
  • Then press 4 to turn on extended absence
  • Finally, press 5 to disallow anyone to leave you a message.  Problem solved!

NOTE:  I can confirm this configuration does indeed work, and prevents the caller from leaving a message. I walked through it to make sure I had the right directions, and then tested by calling myself from another phone.  When you dial in, it plays the extended absence greeting you recorded, and then a system voice says "Thank you for calling, goodbye." and the call disconnects.

In my test extended greeting, I said "Hi, this is <my name>.  Sorry I'm unavailable right now.  At this time, I am not accepting new messages.  If you need to reach me, please send me a text or email, or try me again later.  Thank you.".  But of course, say whatever you like in yours!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rao wrote:

No. There's only an extended absence greeting that has an option not to take messages.

But again, only you calling from that phone line to listen to any voicemails will consume your minutes. People leaving messages won't consume minutes.

Don't worry about the detailed usage too much. It's the overview counter that matters.

Rao

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Rao  hi that is you checking your voicemail you must be on a limited minute plan you can check your voicemail from a landline or other phone for free

Rao

My minutes are being used by this phone number 6045804001 as well, I have already lost about 30 minutes . Please help me to stop this from my phone

Doonerz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Lieux wrote:

But if you want to check your vocal message you can use your home phone with this number and it will not count on your 50 minutes @laurenluo

Simply call your mobile number from your landline and press star(*) and they prompt you to input PIN number. Retrieve voicemail messages without counting towards your 50 minutes.

But if you want to check your vocal message you can use your home phone with this number and it will not count on your 50 minutes @laurenluo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@laurenluo wrote:

I checked my usage history and find there are many times outgoing call to a number 3065804001, that used up my minutes. It is like a hidden hand to use my phone. Each time it lasts only few seconds, less than 10 second. Is there someone has this experience? And who made this bug?

The usage screen will show all calls happening in or out including call forwarding which voicemail uses. If you're on the $10 plan then only the front overview count matters. And as mentioned...people leaving messages don't count.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
I believe that is the voice mail number, checking your voice mail does use minutes.

If it's not voicemail it could be an app that you have given permission to monitor/make calls.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

This is a forwarded call that you didn’t answer, or didn’t ring, being sent to your voicemail. You will not incur a charge for this,

@laurenluo wrote:

This is a voicemail number.  I'm uncertain if this is a retrieval or deposit number.  Outgoing calls shown going to this number could be people calling you being directed to your voice messaging system.  Those types of calls are not supposed to count as usages against your 50 minutes.

If you call with your cell phone to check your voice messages, these minutes should/do count.

Need Help? Let's chat.