cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Phone advice

@will13am 

Earlier in this thread i copy and pasted the duties and taxes from the site. After completing the order the $3+ duty charge remains. I suppose i can just email them to inquire what the charge is for seeing as i have to wait for delivery anyways.

Oracle

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 @kb_mv 

So let me put it this way.....what would you two do if you were making this purchase? Pay the $18.85 tax and duties on a  US$119 purchase or take your chances? B&H says they ship international using DHL and i get it shipped to my local CPO.

or would I be better off getting the Moto E from LD for $119 (cdn)+taxes? 

https://www.londondrugs.com/telus-motorola-moto-e-prepaid-phone---midnight-blue/L1143400.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html/add-on-sav...

This is what I get when I put the Moto G7 in the cart.  The pop up does not show duties, just PST, GST and the $1 service charge.  Note that all charges are in USD.  The reason is that the tax rate is fixed and not informed by currency exchange.  Since B&H operates in USD, they will do everything in USD.  It is up to the customer to pay them in USD.  You can use a USD credit card or credit card of any currency and let the card company use their exchange rate to convert to USD.  This is outside of B&H's control/concern.  

Untitled.png

@will13am wrote:

Absolutely not!  I mentioned the option for completeness because it is available to customers if they so choose.  The hassle of doing your own paperwork and paying the taxes owed to clear the item would far outweigh the nominal cost of $1USD.  Personally, I don't even know where the phone would be held for customers to go to pay up and clear customs.  

If you provide your Canadian address, the shipping company (DHL in this case) clears it for the customer. This means that they charge whatver they wish for this service.

Oracle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Absolutely not!  I mentioned the option for completeness because it is available to customers if they so choose.  The hassle of doing your own paperwork and paying the taxes owed to clear the item would far outweigh the nominal cost of $1USD.  Personally, I don't even know where the phone would be held for customers to go to pay up and clear customs.  

If you provide your Canadian address, the shipping company (DHL in this case) clears it for the customer. This means that they charge whatver they wish for this service.

DHL is the worst for additional charges.  As I said, why would anyone want to save $1.  B&H is guaranteeing that the taxes as noted are accurate and the customer will not see any further charges to get the item to their door.  It sounds like a pretty solid commitment for $1.  

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

DHL is the worst for additional charges.  As I said, why would anyone want to save $1.  B&H is guaranteeing that the taxes as noted are accurate and the customer will not see any further charges to get the item to their door.  It sounds like a pretty solid commitment for $1.  

People are probably hoping that because DHL hands off to Canada Post, that Canada Post is the one who collects and possibly doesn't look at the custom's paperwork, but no, DHL does it and they don't tell you they did it before you get the package or otherwise accept it. And, if you don't pay, they send you to collections even though you had no way of knowing how much was owed before accepting the delviery.

Oracle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

People are probably hoping that because DHL hands off to Canada Post, that Canada Post is the one who collects and possibly doesn't look at the custom's paperwork, but no, DHL does it and they don't tell you they did it before you get the package or otherwise accept it. And, if you don't pay, they send you to collections even though you had no way of knowing how much was owed before accepting the delviery.

My phone shipped this evening from NJ.  It should be crossing the border some time tomorrow.  I should have it in hand on Wednesday.  It is coming via FedEx.  

@will13am wrote:

My phone shipped this evening from NJ.  It should be crossing the border some time tomorrow.  I should have it in hand on Wednesday.  It is coming via FedEx.  

I know that New Jersey isn't that far, so is that by air or ground, or doesn't matter because you already paid the taxes? Fedex Ground goes through A&A Custom Brokers and you would not be laughing at to see what they charge if you haven't already paid the Canadian sales taxes. If it's Fedex Express (air), watch out for them, because I've had them make a "mistake" multiple times for warranty replacement products or when taxes are prepaid, even though the accompanying paper work shows that everything was already taken care of. To be fair, Fedex (Expresss air) always reverses the charges after you provide them a copy of the paper work showing that they didn't didn't need to collect the tax, but I've sometimes noticed them to be over agressive when it comes to that.

Oracle

I have ordered from BH before and it was crazy fast shipping.  It made it out to Victoria in two days from Order.  Placed it on a Monday arrived Wednesday.  They were great to deal with

I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click the  in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *

Mayor / Maire

@will13am did you get your phone today?

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

I was initially looking around for a deal for the bf ( moto E) but once I read up about this model and the camera im making this my new phone and my A3 will be my backup/$10 account line.

Planning on kissing yet another phone goodbye? 😉 😆

Need Help? Let's chat.