cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Phone advice

Huawei offers pretty suitable and affordable options, like the P30 Lite or P20 lite. Their phones last surprisingly long, and nothing is optimized. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Huawei-P20-Lite-ANE-LX3-International/dp/B07C5HH17G

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've noticed on the B&H site:

"The phone is also dependent on T-Mobile for software updates."

Does that mean I won't get any updates on PM???

Oracle

@Jb456 , no idea if they ship to border sites.  I only ever have it shipped direct to me.  Do a live chat and see what they say.  

Oracle

@Ultrahub , I think there's a possibility of update limitations.  I intend to unlock the bootloader and run lineage OS. 

Yeah ... unlocking bootloaders is not for me. Too bad because it really is a GREAT deal for the Oneplus 7t 😞

Mayor / Maire

I didn't think OnePlus had carrier lock restrictions. I thought OnePlus send their own updates like Google does

https://www.oneplus.com/global/support/softwareupgrade

OK then.

The Oneplus support site says:

"After the .zip file is copied to your phone, go to 'Settings' - 'system update', click the 'settings' icon on the top right corner, choose 'Local upgrade', find the .zip file and click on 'Install' to confirm."

Is there any chance that the T-mobile version does not have the 'Local upgrade'???

If I could be sure I'd order right now!

Oracle

@Ultrahub wrote:

OK then.

The Oneplus support site says:

"After the .zip file is copied to your phone, go to 'Settings' - 'system update', click the 'settings' icon on the top right corner, choose 'Local upgrade', find the .zip file and click on 'Install' to confirm."

Is there any chance that the T-mobile version does not have the 'Local upgrade'???

If I could be sure I'd order right now!

No idea as I don't have phone in hand yet.  The folks at xda do 99% of the heavy lifting.  We just have to follow the steps provided.  I am not the least bit worried that I won't be able to get the phone working with routine updates.  If I cannot do it on my own, I will find a geeky friend to help out.  Only a few hours to go on the sale and the blue color model is sold out.  

Oracle

@gpixel4 wrote:

I didn't think OnePlus had carrier lock restrictions. I thought OnePlus send their own updates like Google does

https://www.oneplus.com/global/support/softwareupgrade

I think this applies to the "oem" version only.  In the US, it looks like OnePlus has licensed carrier versions which allow the carrier to customize the software with their custom bloatware.  Anyway, the xda forum has a solution for how to transform the phone into a regular model.  That is what I will do although I won't be using the oxygen OS.  I much prefer lineage OS.  

Mayor / Maire

@will13am  Thanks William! I'll try tomorrow. Live chat is closed now.

Screenshot_20201128_195844.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.