cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone advice

Ultrahub
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm replacing an Asus Zenfone Laser. I'm looking for the best phone under $500.

Any advice is appreciated.

71 REPLIES 71

419mainstreet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That's good info, thanks for the heads up.  I didn't realize there were so  any sub models for that type of phone. 

@419mainstreet wrote:

The Asus Zenfone 5 is a bit like the OnePlus 6. It looks and feels similar to a more expensive phone and has impressive tech inside, but is fairly affordable. You get a rich 6.2-inch screen, a mid-range Qualcomm chipset and generally capable cameras that let you take normal and ultra-wide shots.

If the information that Asus is providing is accurate, I would recommend against the Zenfone 5 .  While Asus gotten the frequencies wrong about their own phones before, the Asus website says that all versions lacks Band 4 for both HSPA and LTE.  While band 4 on HSPA isn't used by Public Mobile, if is used by Shaw/Freedom and Videotron.

Asus's official specs are at this link:  https://www.asus.com/Mobile/Phones/All-series/ZenFone-5/techspec

419mainstreet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The Asus Zenfone 5 is a bit like the OnePlus 6. It looks and feels similar to a more expensive phone and has impressive tech inside, but is fairly affordable. You get a rich 6.2-inch screen, a mid-range Qualcomm chipset and generally capable cameras that let you take normal and ultra-wide shots.

firmwarefile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you are facing any software related issues in smartphones like application stopped working, boot loop issues, phone not working, IMEI issues, you need to download a firmware file. By using this file, you will get back your phone in factory format.

https://firmwareflashfiles.com/micromax-a106/

a4chiu

Galaxy A10/A30/A70 - Samsung‘s budget line up, good build quality all under $500. 

Pixle 4a - Google mid tier phone with good low light camera, fast firmware updates. 

iPhone SE - if you want to switch over to Apple. Slightly over $500, but you can save a little bit with educational or epp discount. 

Used phone market - proceed with caution, sometimes you get a dud. 

@gpixel 

Porteau cove would be a great place to see it from....and have a nice campfire to boot! I get free camping there....if you can get a site. Socked in by fog last night so its certainly hit and miss.

@will13am ya, stay away from those umigidi's

@darlicious apparently, there's a high chance we're not going to see it... 

driving to porteau cove would be pretty nice though

@gpixel wrote:

@will13am nice! you need to try astro mode 👌. how's that 90hz refresh rate 😉. after seeing 90hz I can't go back to 60. it looks so stuttery... I leave 90hz enabled at all times. great purchase for $300! have fun messing around with it!

The higher refresh rate is nice.  I am not sure I am ready to say I cannot tolerate 60 Hz anymore.  The AMOLED is very good of course.  I have not used an AMOLED phone since the Nexus S.  All in all, this was a good buy.  I bought the OnePlus One for the same money.  

@gpixel 

I expect to see some stunning shots of the aurora borealis tonight. I will be trying out the new camera/phone but there's a lot to learn in one day......

@will13am 

Aha.....found the watermark option. An option thankfully ....and one i dont want!

@will13am nice! you need to try astro mode 👌. how's that 90hz refresh rate 😉. after seeing 90hz I can't go back to 60. it looks so stuttery... I leave 90hz enabled at all times. great purchase for $300! have fun messing around with it!

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

I haven't tested the camera out yet....am I going to get that stupid watermark on all my pics?

The GCam port I am using looks totally clean to me.   I see an option to add a OnePlus watermark on the stock camera app.  

@will13am 

I haven't tested the camera out yet....am I going to get that stupid watermark on all my pics?

@will13am 

Yes....moto g7+ and yes just tax and $1 fee. $180 cdn all in. I just read and viewed those config  files   

@carlaspapa 

This is what happens when you get beaten to the punch.....you then fall asleep mid-post!

@Ultrahub wrote:

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know I did order the OP7 from B&H. Not the original T-mobile version suggested by will13am but the unlocked North American version for $50 more than the $300 price that was mentioned earlier. The upside is that this version WILL update without having to be connected  to a T-mobile network. The extra $50 is worth it to me. It's arriving tomorrow.

Great to see how many in this community are 'listening' out there, and how knowledgeable you are. Thanks to all.

@Ultrahub , I should set the record straight on software support.  The T-Mobile version does not require you to be a T-Mobile customer to get OTA updates.  When I turned on the phone, connected to WiFi, I was immediately able to update to the November 2020 security patch.  So, there are no differences that I can tell for software updates between the two models.  As for bloatware, the only app I found in the app drawer that is T-Mobile related is their app for managing user accounts.  This app can be hidden away.  

The major difference with the T-Mobile model is that the software has been modified to disable SIM2 and the SIM tray is single SIM only.  A single IMEI has been assigned to the device.  So even if the second SIM is enabled via transition to the global model software, both SIMs will be assigned to the single IMEI.  This does not appear to be a hindrance in any way to device functionality.  

As for switching the software over to the global model, it does take a few hours to read up on the instructions, download the software tools, drivers, fastboot zips and install them.  The fine folks at xda have also provided an unbricking tool just in case something goes off the rails.  The risks of catastrophe are low.  Note that the modifications only changes the software to the global model.  The phone still identifies as a T-Mobile for what that's worth.  Anyway, I have successfully completed the transition on my phone.  A dual SIM tray has been ordered.  I am going to help a friend to do the modification on the weekend.

Is the extra cost worth it?  For those who don't want the hassle of modding phone software, definitely.  I have been unlocking bootloaders and rooting phones from the day that I bought a used LG Optimus One which interesting was a T-Mobile variant.  I could not pass up on the savings.  Besides, it is part of the fun of getting a new phone.  

One last thing, if you want to use custom sound files for notification, alarm, ringtone, a workaround is required.  The sound settings has a big limitation.  Only sound files in the system partition can be selected.  You need to install a music player that has an option to make a sound file the default for notification, alarm, ringtone.  The music player has to be given permission to change system settings.  

Enjoy the new phone!  Give the GCam port a try.  

Ultrahub

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know I did order the OP7 from B&H. Not the original T-mobile version suggested by will13am but the unlocked North American version for $50 more than the $300 price that was mentioned earlier. The upside is that this version WILL update without having to be connected  to a T-mobile network. The extra $50 is worth it to me. It's arriving tomorrow.

Great to see how many in this community are 'listening' out there, and how knowledgeable you are. Thanks to all.

@darlicious what phone did you end up getting from B&H?  Was it the Moto G7?  There should be zero duty, just the sales tax and $1 service charge to process the tax and customs paperwork.  

@CFPartDeux 

Hahahaha.....no. As i said my new phone....the one disadvantage to phone being the single sim is an advantage as the bf cant ask to use the A3 because my other account still needs a phone for its sim card. I can also solve that phones storage/memory issue by being able to use a micro sd card in it now.

Finally arrived tuesday morning conveniently about 2 minutes after i went downstairs to make a cup of tea. I havent had time to open the box til now.......

BTW....emailed BH and they cleared up the extra duty charge. Charged the phone to my visa infinite for the extended warranty and device protection insurance.

@gpixel , neither.  I selected night sight option, steadied my hand and placed elbow on the arm rest.  This low light shot I took is one that I always do with every phone that I have bought as a test of low light capability.  It was surprising to see such a long duration shot.  I would have thought maybe the shot would be taken with a second or two shutter speed which should be enough to increase exposure.  I am using urnyx 7.3 which from what I read include astrophotography mode.  Lots of config options, big learning curve for a non photographer...  Anyone with a compatible phone should check out the gcam port hub.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-port-hub/

@will13am did you use a tripod to trigger astrophotography mode? 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I should provide an update on the OP7T.  It was the T-Mobile edition that was on sale.  I had to do some work to install the global rom and restore dual SIM functionality on the phone.  There was a few hiccups along the way but all is good now.  The SD855+ CPU on this phone is fast.  Having used Umidigi phones running Mediatek CPUs for the past couple of years, it sure is nice to be using a flagship CPU.  The camera is excellent, best I have ever used.  This is the first time I owned a phone with a camera that has OIS.  I have to say this feature is a must have.  Using the GCam port night sight feature, I was able to take a low light shot that took 23 seconds to compose and it turned out fine with no signs of jitter.  Image details were remarkably sharp.  Now did I buy a phone or a camera?  🤔

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Anyone wanting a phone and missed out on some of the recent black Friday/cyber Monday deals should give this one a look.  

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/banggood-xiaomi-poco-m3-177-coupon-code-bgpm364-2425751/

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am did you get your phone today?

@Jb456 , no I did not receive the phone yet.  I chatted with B&H on the weekend about the progress on the order.  They told me that this year's online orders was off the chart high.  Normally, it is their busiest weekend of the year.  Covid made it that much busier.  Long story short, my order did not ship until Monday evening.  Then the item sat at the shipping dock until Wednesday evening.  FedEx is also backlogged with activity.  The phone arrived in Mississauga this morning.  It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  This makes me look at Amazon fulfilment in awe.  They scale to meet customer demand as if any day is just another day at the farm. 

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

I was initially looking around for a deal for the bf ( moto E) but once I read up about this model and the camera im making this my new phone and my A3 will be my backup/$10 account line.

Planning on kissing yet another phone goodbye? 😉 😆

@will13am did you get your phone today?

I have ordered from BH before and it was crazy fast shipping.  It made it out to Victoria in two days from Order.  Placed it on a Monday arrived Wednesday.  They were great to deal with

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@will13am wrote:

My phone shipped this evening from NJ.  It should be crossing the border some time tomorrow.  I should have it in hand on Wednesday.  It is coming via FedEx.  

I know that New Jersey isn't that far, so is that by air or ground, or doesn't matter because you already paid the taxes? Fedex Ground goes through A&A Custom Brokers and you would not be laughing at to see what they charge if you haven't already paid the Canadian sales taxes. If it's Fedex Express (air), watch out for them, because I've had them make a "mistake" multiple times for warranty replacement products or when taxes are prepaid, even though the accompanying paper work shows that everything was already taken care of. To be fair, Fedex (Expresss air) always reverses the charges after you provide them a copy of the paper work showing that they didn't didn't need to collect the tax, but I've sometimes noticed them to be over agressive when it comes to that.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Absolutely not!  I mentioned the option for completeness because it is available to customers if they so choose.  The hassle of doing your own paperwork and paying the taxes owed to clear the item would far outweigh the nominal cost of $1USD.  Personally, I don't even know where the phone would be held for customers to go to pay up and clear customs.  

If you provide your Canadian address, the shipping company (DHL in this case) clears it for the customer. This means that they charge whatver they wish for this service.

DHL is the worst for additional charges.  As I said, why would anyone want to save $1.  B&H is guaranteeing that the taxes as noted are accurate and the customer will not see any further charges to get the item to their door.  It sounds like a pretty solid commitment for $1.  

People are probably hoping that because DHL hands off to Canada Post, that Canada Post is the one who collects and possibly doesn't look at the custom's paperwork, but no, DHL does it and they don't tell you they did it before you get the package or otherwise accept it. And, if you don't pay, they send you to collections even though you had no way of knowing how much was owed before accepting the delviery.

My phone shipped this evening from NJ.  It should be crossing the border some time tomorrow.  I should have it in hand on Wednesday.  It is coming via FedEx.  

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Absolutely not!  I mentioned the option for completeness because it is available to customers if they so choose.  The hassle of doing your own paperwork and paying the taxes owed to clear the item would far outweigh the nominal cost of $1USD.  Personally, I don't even know where the phone would be held for customers to go to pay up and clear customs.  

If you provide your Canadian address, the shipping company (DHL in this case) clears it for the customer. This means that they charge whatver they wish for this service.

DHL is the worst for additional charges.  As I said, why would anyone want to save $1.  B&H is guaranteeing that the taxes as noted are accurate and the customer will not see any further charges to get the item to their door.  It sounds like a pretty solid commitment for $1.  

People are probably hoping that because DHL hands off to Canada Post, that Canada Post is the one who collects and possibly doesn't look at the custom's paperwork, but no, DHL does it and they don't tell you they did it before you get the package or otherwise accept it. And, if you don't pay, they send you to collections even though you had no way of knowing how much was owed before accepting the delviery.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.