cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone advice

Ultrahub
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm replacing an Asus Zenfone Laser. I'm looking for the best phone under $500.

Any advice is appreciated.

71 REPLIES 71

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 @kb_mv 

So let me put it this way.....what would you two do if you were making this purchase? Pay the $18.85 tax and duties on a  US$119 purchase or take your chances? B&H says they ship international using DHL and i get it shipped to my local CPO.

or would I be better off getting the Moto E from LD for $119 (cdn)+taxes? 

https://www.londondrugs.com/telus-motorola-moto-e-prepaid-phone---midnight-blue/L1143400.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html/add-on-sav...

This is what I get when I put the Moto G7 in the cart.  The pop up does not show duties, just PST, GST and the $1 service charge.  Note that all charges are in USD.  The reason is that the tax rate is fixed and not informed by currency exchange.  Since B&H operates in USD, they will do everything in USD.  It is up to the customer to pay them in USD.  You can use a USD credit card or credit card of any currency and let the card company use their exchange rate to convert to USD.  This is outside of B&H's control/concern.  

Untitled.png

@will13am 

Earlier in this thread i copy and pasted the duties and taxes from the site. After completing the order the $3+ duty charge remains. I suppose i can just email them to inquire what the charge is for seeing as i have to wait for delivery anyways.

@kb_mv wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Ultrahub wrote:

Thanks will13am.

No issues coming across the border? Any duties charged?

B&H does a lot of business in Canada.  Their shipping process across the border is super trouble free.  For $1USD service charge, they will remit the HST to the Canadian government on your behalf so the item crosses the border seamlessly.  During checkout, you can opt to not have them process the taxes in which case you can do the paperwork to get the item through customs and pay taxes yourself.  Electronics do not have duty.  

@will13am 

Are you recommending doing this yourself and remitting the taxes later? If so what does this entail?  Seroiusly considering the Moto G plus for US$119 today......

@darlicious Anytime i have ordered online from the states and taxes/duties were not collected at time of purchase and the item was shipped USPS / Canadapost,  Canada customs (depending on the value) sends a "bill" with Canada Post and they collect it upon delivery adding a $5 service charge. Careful if it's sent by some couriers as you may get a bill from them AFTER delivery for brokerage fees. I always try and get stuff shipped USPS.

There are no duties for electronics coming into Canada.  If you add the item to the cart, go to cart and then select country and province, you will see a single entry that they call duties and taxes.  B&H ships all over the world, not just to Canada and US.  So they use a generic title for the charges.  Click on the ? and a pop up shows the breakdown of charges, PST, GST and so called carrier charge which is the $1 service fee for processing the taxes.  Since B&H will do the paperwork for the taxes, their shipper will have the necessary paperwork to clear the item across the border seamlessly.  The shipment will arrive at the door with no surprise fees, guaranteed.  

@will13am 

That's what i thought....i was still charged duty on the purchase. Also interesting that the duty and taxes are charged in US $. Is that normal?

I was initially looking around for a deal for the bf ( moto E) but once I read up about this model and the camera im making this my new phone and my A3 will be my backup/$10 account line. My only disappointment is its not the dual sim version. From what i can tell its a great price for that model.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Ultrahub wrote:

Thanks will13am.

B&H does a lot of business in Canada.  Their shipping process across the border is super trouble free.  For $1USD service charge, they will remit the HST to the Canadian government on your behalf so the item crosses the border seamlessly.  During checkout, you can opt to not have them process the taxes in which case you can do the paperwork to get the item through customs and pay taxes yourself.  Electronics do not have duty.  

@will13am 

Are you recommending doing this yourself and remitting the taxes later? If so what does this entail?  Seroiusly considering the Moto G plus for US$119 today......

Absolutely not!  I mentioned the option for completeness because it is available to customers if they so choose.  The hassle of doing your own paperwork and paying the taxes owed to clear the item would far outweigh the nominal cost of $1USD.  Personally, I don't even know where the phone would be held for customers to go to pay up and clear customs.  

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious Absolutely pay now because shipping is by DHL, regardless of if Canada Post is doing the final delivery.

I would pay the tax ahead of time. Here's why: Delivery by Canada Post doesn't necessarily mean that Canada Post is collecting the tax at the time of delivery. DHL may very well be submitting the taxes for you to the CRA and performing the cross border package clearance before giving the package to Canada Post. If that's the way DHL does it, I promise that's DHL's brokerage fee will be astromomical. You'll get a bill.

Pretty much I am saying that DHL is less likely to "forget". They are a for profit company and want the fees.

@computergeek541 , @darlicious I received a bill about a month after DHL delivered something for me. It was for brokerage fees and it was indeed ridiculous. If you (me/anyone) pay ahead or pay after, I recommend USPS / Canada post. But that's just me.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 @kb_mv 

So let me put it this way.....what would you two do if you were making this purchase? Pay the $18.85 tax and duties on a  US$119 purchase or take your chances? B&H says they ship international using DHL and i get it shipped to my local CPO.

@darlicious Absolutely pay now because shipping is by DHL, regardless of if Canada Post is doing the final delivery.

I would pay the tax ahead of time. Here's why: Delivery by Canada Post doesn't necessarily mean that Canada Post is collecting the tax at the time of delivery. DHL may very well be submitting the taxes for you to the CRA and performing the cross border package clearance before giving the package to Canada Post. If that's the way DHL does it, I promise that's DHL's brokerage fee will be astromomical. You'll get a bill.

Pretty much I am saying that DHL is less likely to "forget". They are a for profit company and want the fees.

Sounds like....

@computergeek541   pay ahead

@kb_mv  pay later

Tie breaker? Anyone want to weigh in?

@computergeek541 @kb_mv 

or would I be better off getting the Moto E from LD for $119 (cdn)+taxes? 

https://www.londondrugs.com/telus-motorola-moto-e-prepaid-phone---midnight-blue/L1143400.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html/add-on-sav...

@kb_mv wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kb_mv While not many people want to pay sales tax, it is required to be paid. Canda Post hasn't charged only $5 for some.time. The Canada.Post handling fee for collectimg and submitting the sales tax is now $9.95.

@computergeek541 I understand the process. Most things of value that go through Canada customs to Canada post come with a bill upon delivery to cover the tax plus whatever Canada Post's surcharge may be. If the item has been released by Canada customs with no bill, I have never remitted taxes on my own. I have done it that way for the better part of 20 years of online ordering.

I agree with your assessment of Fedex/UPS. I avoid them anytime I can.

@kb_mv 

I don't want to turn this thread into discussion about some ways to get aroind tax that aren't legal, but Canada Post does "forget" to collect sales tax if CBSA officer decides not to issue the paperwork to collect the taxes or if they clear a bunch of packages without examing the value of them. In the case of B&H Photo, many customers would probably choose to pay Canadian sales taxes ahead of time to avoid surprises.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kb_mv While not many people want to pay sales tax, it is required to be paid. Canda Post hasn't charged only $5 for some.time. The Canada.Post handling fee for collectimg and submitting the sales tax is now $9.95.

@computergeek541 I understand the process. Most things of value that go through Canada customs to Canada post come with a bill upon delivery to cover the tax plus whatever Canada Post's surcharge may be. If the item has been released by Canada customs with no bill, I have never remitted taxes on my own. I have done it that way for the better part of 20 years of online ordering.

I agree with your assessment of Fedex/UPS. I avoid them anytime I can.

@kb_mv wrote:

@darlicious Anytime i have ordered online from the states and taxes/duties were not collected at time of purchase and the item was shipped USPS / Canadapost,  Canada customs (depending on the value) sends a "bill" with Canada Post and they collect it upon delivery adding a $5 service charge. Careful if it's sent by some couriers as you may get a bill from them AFTER delivery for brokerage fees. I always try and get stuff shipped USPS.

@kb_mv While not many people want to pay sales tax, it is required to be paid. Canda Post hasn't charged only $5 for some time. The Canada.Post handling fee for collectimg and submitting the sales tax is now $9.95.

As for brokerage fees, it's the fact that there is a fee, but rather the ridiculous amount of the fee.  When shipping is done by carrirers such as UPS or Fedex, there are extemely high fees if ground shipping services were used.  The fees are usually much more reasonable with air shipping service options (and is a flat rate), but the shipping cost will be much higher.

These fees are an important factor when considering importing such a cell phone purchase.

@darlicious wrote:

@kb_mv 

Ive never purchased from a US retailer so all new to me.

@darlicious B&H and me are friends lol.

@

@darlicious wrote:

@kb_mv 

So best to just pay at check out?

Duties & Taxes

Duties:$3.08GST:$6.15PST:$8.62Carrier Surcharge:$1.00Total:$18.85

Duty?  I s it not duty free? I'm assuming the tax portion is cdn $ with the $US 119 converted to cdn $.

@darlicious I may use the word "duty" to mean anything payable when it comes across the border. Ignore that, I can't remember the last time I had to pay actual duty on anything.

@kb_mv 

Ive never purchased from a US retailer so all new to me.

@darlicious wrote:

@kb_mv 

@darlicious Depends. I have had occasions where, because of the value (i think it was less than $200 but it's been awhile) where they didn't bother with a bill for taxes. YMMV

@kb_mv 

Duties & Taxes

Duties:$3.08GST:$6.15PST:$8.62Carrier Surcharge:$1.00Total:$18.85

Duty?  I s it not duty free? I'm assuming the tax portion is cdn $ with the $US 119 converted to cdn $.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Ultrahub wrote:

Thanks will13am.

@will13am 

@will13am wrote:

@Ultrahub wrote:

Thanks will13am.

@will13am 

that's a really good offer. people are selling their 7ts for $550 used on Craigslist

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Folks, I have been going over the xda threads on how to mod the T-Mobile edition of the OnePlus 7t into a regular global model.  People have reported that they got the T-Mobile deal from B&H and discovered it to actually be the global model.  So no modding required.  

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am  Thanks William! I'll try tomorrow. Live chat is closed now.

Screenshot_20201128_195844.jpg

Sale ends at midnight.  😥

@will13am  Thanks William! I'll try tomorrow. Live chat is closed now.

Screenshot_20201128_195844.jpg

@gpixel wrote:

I didn't think OnePlus had carrier lock restrictions. I thought OnePlus send their own updates like Google does

https://www.oneplus.com/global/support/softwareupgrade

I think this applies to the "oem" version only.  In the US, it looks like OnePlus has licensed carrier versions which allow the carrier to customize the software with their custom bloatware.  Anyway, the xda forum has a solution for how to transform the phone into a regular model.  That is what I will do although I won't be using the oxygen OS.  I much prefer lineage OS.  

@Ultrahub wrote:

OK then.

The Oneplus support site says:

"After the .zip file is copied to your phone, go to 'Settings' - 'system update', click the 'settings' icon on the top right corner, choose 'Local upgrade', find the .zip file and click on 'Install' to confirm."

Is there any chance that the T-mobile version does not have the 'Local upgrade'???

If I could be sure I'd order right now!

No idea as I don't have phone in hand yet.  The folks at xda do 99% of the heavy lifting.  We just have to follow the steps provided.  I am not the least bit worried that I won't be able to get the phone working with routine updates.  If I cannot do it on my own, I will find a geeky friend to help out.  Only a few hours to go on the sale and the blue color model is sold out.  

Ultrahub

OK then.

The Oneplus support site says:

"After the .zip file is copied to your phone, go to 'Settings' - 'system update', click the 'settings' icon on the top right corner, choose 'Local upgrade', find the .zip file and click on 'Install' to confirm."

Is there any chance that the T-mobile version does not have the 'Local upgrade'???

If I could be sure I'd order right now!

I didn't think OnePlus had carrier lock restrictions. I thought OnePlus send their own updates like Google does

https://www.oneplus.com/global/support/softwareupgrade

Ultrahub

Yeah ... unlocking bootloaders is not for me. Too bad because it really is a GREAT deal for the Oneplus 7t 😞

@Ultrahub , I think there's a possibility of update limitations.  I intend to unlock the bootloader and run lineage OS. 

@Jb456 , no idea if they ship to border sites.  I only ever have it shipped direct to me.  Do a live chat and see what they say.  

Need Help? Let's chat.