cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone advice

Ultrahub
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm replacing an Asus Zenfone Laser. I'm looking for the best phone under $500.

Any advice is appreciated.

71 REPLIES 71

Ultrahub

I've noticed on the B&H site:

"The phone is also dependent on T-Mobile for software updates."

Does that mean I won't get any updates on PM???

hmph
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Huawei offers pretty suitable and affordable options, like the P30 Lite or P20 lite. Their phones last surprisingly long, and nothing is optimized. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Huawei-P20-Lite-ANE-LX3-International/dp/B07C5HH17G

@will13am Hmmm may just have to get one 🙂. Do you know if they ship to ship it shops at the border? Cause I can still get over border to pick it up if that's the case.

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am  Black Friday deal? That's a good price for that OnePlus.

Yes it is.  The promo ends at midnight today.  Only 9.5 hours to go.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

OnePlus are great phones as they usually provide three OS updates and also offer security updates.

@will13am  Black Friday deal? That's a good price for that OnePlus.

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@Ultrahub wrote:

No issues coming across the border? Any duties charged?

It would be taxes, on the Canadian dollar value of the item, and depending on how they ship it, it MIGHT also have a "brokerage fee" added on. Typicially, if shipped via the lowest level of service, UPS & FedEx charge a brokerage fee. The other courier companies might also add that on the total. If shipped via the postal system, it's the taxes, plus a low, flat fee, to collect those taxes(it's been so long, I don't know what that fee is anymore), IF they even decide to charge those taxes...... sometimes CP doesn't, but at the price of that phone, they probably would.

Having said that, it would probably be wise to check out their shipping info, because for some reason, it seems to me that I've read it somewhere, that B&H actually makes the purchase process easier for Canadians than many other U.S. retailers.

B&H is almost like a Canadian online retailer with their hassle free process.  I have bought from them a number of times without issue.  The last time I ordered from them, it took 4 days for the item to be received.  

@Ultrahub wrote:

Thanks will13am.

B&H does a lot of business in Canada.  Their shipping process across the border is super trouble free.  For $1USD service charge, they will remit the HST to the Canadian government on your behalf so the item crosses the border seamlessly.  During checkout, you can opt to not have them process the taxes in which case you can do the paperwork to get the item through customs and pay taxes yourself.  Electronics do not have duty.  

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Ultrahub wrote:

It would be taxes, on the Canadian dollar value of the item, and depending on how they ship it, it MIGHT also have a "brokerage fee" added on. Typicially, if shipped via the lowest level of service, UPS & FedEx charge a brokerage fee. The other courier companies might also add that on the total. If shipped via the postal system, it's the taxes, plus a low, flat fee, to collect those taxes(it's been so long, I don't know what that fee is anymore), IF they even decide to charge those taxes...... sometimes CP doesn't, but at the price of that phone, they probably would.

Having said that, it would probably be wise to check out their shipping info, because for some reason, it seems to me that I've read it somewhere, that B&H actually makes the purchase process easier for Canadians than many other U.S. retailers.

Ultrahub

Thanks will13am.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Ultrahub , I purchased the OnePlus 7t yesterday from B&H.  I think this is a stellar deal.  All in you are looking at around $450-460CD depending on exchange.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1600545-REG/oneplus_610214661838_7t_t_mobile_smartphone_glaci...

If you want something less expensive, I think this is a good option.  This is a mid range phone which is comparable to the zenphone laser.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1567410-REG/tcl_t770b_2alcus11_10l_unlocked_smartphone_64gb.h...

Need Help? Let's chat.