cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Unlock Request

DCMaloney
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello PM Community,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put in this request, but I am looking to activate/unlock an older iPhone 4S I had purchased when I was with Bell. My contract expired years ago, and I've since gotten rid of the SIM card they gave me. Recently, my iPhone 5S (with a Public Mobile SIM card) kicked the bucket, so I'm bringing the 4S out of retirement.

I restored the 4S to its factory settings through iTunes, popped in my 5S' Public Mobile SIM card, but now it's telling me that the card is not supported by the activation server. Hoping someone can help me out.

IMEI no. xxxxxxxxxxx
Model no. A1387 (iPhone 4S)

If any other information is required, please let me know.

6 REPLIES 6

9ball
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had a similar problem today with an iPhone 4s. It was with Rogers and I had called them to unlock it which they said they did. Ultimately I had to connect the phone to iTunes with the public sim in it and input my iTunes info into iTunes which unlocked the phone. It failed the first time as somebody above mentioned. Good luck. 

Carriers will not unlock a phone that is locked to a different carrier. You will need to contact Bell as it was originally sold as a Bell phone. The good news that the unlocking is now free of charge.

Hola
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I *just* unlocked my 4 (not even 4s) through Virgin (Bell subsidiary) this past weekend.  This was done by contacting Virgin via telephone and providing them with the IME number.  They told me it would take 24 hrs, but it only took 2 before I got the confirmation email.

I did not have the [original carrier] sim card either, and the new PM sim wasn't working. 

Connecting to iTunes, and clicking on the iPhone link resulted in some sort of error message.  Clicking on the iPhone link a *second* time resuted in a pause followed by the message, "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked".

After that, all good.  Restart and presto.... working unlocked phone.

(My backup plan after that was to backup and then restore the phone, which should also work)

Good luck!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DCMaloney  once you get your 4s unlocked you will probably need to set up the APN settings.  I believe it is only possible using safari and visisting a special site which updates your phone. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/APN-setting-with-iphone-4-ios-7/m-p/54498...

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@DCMaloney wrote:

Hello PM Community,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put in this request, but I am looking to activate/unlock an older iPhone 4S I had purchased when I was with Bell. My contract expired years ago, and I've since gotten rid of the SIM card they gave me. Recently, my iPhone 5S (with a Public Mobile SIM card) kicked the bucket, so I'm bringing the 4S out of retirement.

I restored the 4S to its factory settings through iTunes, popped in my 5S' Public Mobile SIM card, but now it's telling me that the card is not supported by the activation server. Hoping someone can help me out.

IMEI no. xxxxxxxxxxx
Model no. A1387 (iPhone 4S)

If any other information is required, please let me know.

You need to go to the original provider of the phone to get them to unlock the phone for you.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You will need to contact Bell for an unlock code, go to a repair shop that unlocks phones, or purchase an unlock code online. Try Bell first because it would be free if they provide you one.

Need Help? Let's chat.