cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Number in Limbo

iamoasis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good afternoon,

I signed up for PM yesterday and received a phone number. Today I ported over my old number from Fido online under my account and received a successful message. Now I got a text shortly after saying to go to pm.ca and click contact us and complete the SIM & Activation Form. I looked at other thread about this form and it appears it's non existent.

Anyway, now I'm at a point where neither my old nor new number works. I rebooted myt phone and the sim card shows the new number.

So what happens now?

22 REPLIES 22

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@iamoasis wrote:

I just wanted to follow up and advise that everything has been rectified.

Upon reactivating my Fido account, the moderator advised me that the porting was successful and everything has been resolved.

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback and advise.

Glad to hear everything worked out OP

iamoasis

I just wanted to follow up and advise that everything has been rectified.

Upon reactivating my Fido account, the moderator advised me that the porting was successful and everything has been resolved.

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback and advise.

@iamoasis wrote:

I contacted Fido this morning and reactivated my account.

🙂

Hopefully this should work.

If you really wanted to give up on this, you could always choose a new phone number.  But since you've already used up your 1 number change this month, you would have to get Public Mobile's moderators involved anyway, so you might as well just get the phone number in that you want.

Once your Fido service is working again (I would imagine that it would be your old Fido sim card with no need to get a new one should start working again immediatley), contact Public Mobile's moderators by sending a private message to the username Moderator_Team .  You'll have to get them to request the phone nubmer transfer again.  Be sure to include your name, phone number, and Public Mobile account PIN.  You'll also need to tell them your Fido phone number and the Fido account number.  In the meatime, your Fido service should work and remain in service until the phone number transfer is complete.

iamoasis

I contacted Fido this morning and reactivated my account.

🙂

Hopefully this should work.

@iamoasis wrote:

Good morning,

I suspect I might just add to the confusion here but I'd like to share what's happening as of this morning.

So I checked my phone this morning and it appears that I am able to make outbound calls, texts and data. What's more interesting is that the number that shows up when making outbound calls/texts, is my Fido number 204 951 ####. I did already mention that when I look in the settings of my Android OS under About, it does show my number as being 204 951 ####. So when I attempted to port over my number from a closed account, somehow part of it worked. Please note that any inbound calls or text still bounce back. Calls to my phone still says # is still not assigned. I've attempted to text myself and nothing comes through.

So it seems there's a glitch of sorts here?

I'd like to thank everyone for their help with this up to now.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean your phone number was tramsfered to Public Mobile. As soon as you make the request, Public Mobile immediately assigns the number to your account.  This happens before Fido gets a chance to reply to the request.  Everything will work at Public Mobile except incoming calls and texts. This is normal and happens to everyone, at least until an incoming phone number port has finished.  Public Mobile is esseentially spoofing/faking your phone number right now.  On a side note, this would even happen even if a customer had mistyped a random but eligible phone number.

Sorry, but there can't be any progress until you first have your Fido service reactivated.  There isn't any way to tramsfer a cancelled phone number to a different carrier.

iamoasis

Good morning,

I suspect I might just add to the confusion here but I'd like to share what's happening as of this morning.

So I checked my phone this morning and it appears that I am able to make outbound calls, texts and data. What's more interesting is that the number that shows up when making outbound calls/texts, is my Fido number 204 951 ####. I did already mention that when I look in the settings of my Android OS under About, it does show my number as being 204 951 ####. So when I attempted to port over my number from a closed account, somehow part of it worked. Please note that any inbound calls or text still bounce back. Calls to my phone still says # is still not assigned. I've attempted to text myself and nothing comes through.

So it seems there's a glitch of sorts here?

I'd like to thank everyone for their help with this up to now.

@iamoasis wrote:

Good afternoon,

I signed up for PM yesterday and received a phone number. Today I ported over my old number from Fido online under my account and received a successful message. Now I got a text shortly after saying to go to pm.ca and click contact us and complete the SIM & Activation Form. I looked at other thread about this form and it appears it's non existent.

Anyway, now I'm at a point where neither my old nor new number works. I rebooted myt phone and the sim card shows the new number.

So what happens now?

That successful message doesn't really mean "successful".  The on-screen message saying that just means that Public Mobile received the request to transfer a number in and will submit the request to the other carrier (Fido in this case). The sim and activation form text message, as you already know has incorrect instructions to fix the prolbem, but in a nutshell, that's Public Mobile's strange way of telling you that the porting request has failed.

As for the question about if you can re-open a Fido account, of course you can.   If it was a preapid account, there would have been no reason to contact to close it, so I'm assuming you must have been on postpaid.  You'll have to contact Fido to reactivate that account for you.  It could be awkward talking to them if they know that you reactivating the service just so that you can port the number out, but they don't even have to necessarily know.  You can just say that you changed your mind about cancelling.  To my knowledge, when cancellng postpaid Fido service through customer service, I do not believe that you would even need a new sim card or anything. I think they can just resume you on the existing/previously cancelled sim card and re-open the old account.

Once you have the Fido service reactivated, you can retry with another request to port the number to Public Mobile.  Note that reactivating your Fido service will mean that you will charge your for services for at least another day, or however long it takes from the time of Fido reactivation to the time of completed number transfer to Public.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

48 hours max.

iamoasis

Thank you for your help. I will wait patiently. I still haven't heard anything from the mods. How much time I should allow for this to be resolved?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@iamoasis You have nothing to lose at this point by trying to select a new number when logged into your account. Your port-in from Fido is toast because you closed the account before porting. When you intiated the port-in PM immediately assigned your Fido number for outbound calling. When the port-in failed (you'd closed the account) everything cacked.

Meanwhile, if you need to make phone calls try an application like that from fongo.com. It provides free calling across Canada from wherever you are connected to wifi (or on cellular data).

It may take a while but if the new number selection fails the moderators will sort it out in due course.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@iamoasis, at the moment, change your number to another PM number isn’t available to you, as a port and/or number change can only be done once per 30 days.

Your best course of action is to explain all this sequence to the Moderator team, when one of them responds to your private message.

Do not do anything further to try to fix this yourself.

austinhuang

Your Fido account should close by itself if the port is successful.

If you closed the account yourself: Now you lost your old number.

Edit: Re-opening your account doesn't sound likely, but you can attempt so.

@iamoasis wrote:

I had just closed my account. The account is 100% good standing order. There is nothing to be paid. I paid it in full.

The account needs to be active for a number port. In the normal course of action the port is closing your account and you'll receive the final prorated bill from your post-paid provider or will loose any remaining available funds on a prepaid account.

As mentioned above you should consult with the moderators on how best to proceed. You might need to get back to Fido and have them reopen your account and re-activate your number, if that is something they are able and willing to do.

iamoasis

I guess that means I can't port over the number? If that's the case do I just go back and change my number again to a pm number?

iamoasis

I had just closed my account. The account is 100% good standing order. There is nothing to be paid. I paid it in full.

austinhuang

Sounds like you closed your Fido account before porting it?

Also remember that Fido is post-paid so you might need to pay off whatever's left in your account.

@iamoasis wrote:

Ok I will summarize...

I went to London Drugs yesterday. I bought a sim card. Activated it. Gave me a number. 204 577 ####. It worked. No problem. I called out and received incoming no problem. Talk, text and data all worked.

Today, still under the same account, I thought to myself, "oh wouldn'T it be wonderful if I could have my old number back?" I thought it was a good idea so I went into my account, online, and went to change number and ported the phone number (204 951 ####). Entered all the info I could remember, Fido account number. So I did all that. And after I clicked on change or save (can't remember exactly the command) and it said successful.

So now when I look into the settings of my Android OS, under phone information it shows my ported number under the sim card (204 951 ####).

After all this, I attempted to call myself using a land line, didn't work. I tried both the original number that was given yesterday and my ported number. Neither phone number works. When I call them they say "The cellular number you called is not assigned" (Fido ported) and the other "is not in service" (PM original from yesterday).

I hope I'm explaining this correctly.

Was your Fido account active and in good standing when you requested the port?

iamoasis

Ok I will summarize...

I went to London Drugs yesterday. I bought a sim card. Activated it. Gave me a number. 204 577 ####. It worked. No problem. I called out and received incoming no problem. Talk, text and data all worked.

Today, still under the same account, I thought to myself, "oh wouldn'T it be wonderful if I could have my old number back?" I thought it was a good idea so I went into my account, online, and went to change number and ported the phone number (204 951 ####). Entered all the info I could remember, Fido account number. So I did all that. And after I clicked on change or save (can't remember exactly the command) and it said successful.

So now when I look into the settings of my Android OS, under phone information it shows my ported number under the sim card (204 951 ####).

After all this, I attempted to call myself using a land line, didn't work. I tried both the original number that was given yesterday and my ported number. Neither phone number works. When I call them they say "The cellular number you called is not assigned" (Fido ported) and the other "is not in service" (PM original from yesterday).

I hope I'm explaining this correctly.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@iamoasis, things are messed up enough that I think you should queue the account support from the moderator team.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.  To make the process as quick as possible please provide as much detail as you can in the private message to minimize the number of back and forth messages.  Good luck and welcome to Public Mobile. 

austinhuang

@iamoasis wrote:

Good afternoon,

So what happens now? 

I'm not entirely sure what you meant. Real procedure of getting a temporary number and then port to another number:

1. Register online with your SIM card number. You get a temporary number.
  2. Log into Self-Serve and click "Change Number" in the My Profile box (not tab).
  3. Select "Transfer..."
  4. Input info (Old number, account info, IMEI, etc).

There is no where it asks you to re-input your SIM card number.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

can you make and receive (from non telus/koodo/pm) calls/ texts  on your new number ?   if yes then all should be completed.

i am assumig you have a self serve account else you would not have been able to port the number.

edit confuses about your neither statement.  

If you can not receive calls on your pm sim then you need to contact the mod and ask them to lookinto it.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@iamoasis wrote:

Good afternoon,

So what happens now?

When you say neither number works, Do you mean you can't text, call or use data? Were they working before you tried porting?

Does you account show the new number?

Need Help? Let's chat.