cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone # Displayed in phone info is different from phone # Ported in!

GSATV
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Folks,

So, I've just recently switched back over to PM after paying those OUTRAGEOUS fees with my other carrier and brought my s10+ over with me!

Here's the scoop: Purchased SIM Card, created account under a temporary #, and either that evening or the morning after, I ported in my Fido #.  I have a home business, so usually my phone is going off the hook. Therefore, I feel as though there may be an issue?

I received the text from PM stating that my number porting has been successful, however, when I go into the "about phone" to verify things have indeed been changed over, it's still displaying my "temporary PM phone #" as the # that's provisioned to the phone.  I have done several soft and hard reboots, pulled the SIM out, and just about everything and anything in between... I'm not sure if this is just some sort of glitch.  From what I know, my texts are being sent out, and I have no issues receiving calls **that I know of!

I'm going to fire this post off to tech support email, if that still exists, but in the meantime I was hoping a mod or someone of the likes can indeed verify that the porting process is complete and sucessful and that I need not to worry.

Thank You! 

*****One other quick question: Does anyone know how to 1) Change the username that's displayed here? 2) Ensure that this username is indeed linked to my new account for rewards? This profile is quite old, maybe 4-5 years old. Just wanted to verify! Cheers!****

30 REPLIES 30

@GSATV  Thanks for the update. Another reason why I only stick with stock Android devices.🤔

GSATV

@geopublic 

Just so you know for the future, after looking into it, seems Samsung removed the option to dial in *#*#4636#*#* on the s10 line. 

I have submitted a ticket, and received a response. I guess the network just hadn't sent an update to the SIM card to add the new #..

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Cheers!

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

"@Korth question for you my friend! Any idea if my s10+ should continue to receive it's monthly firmware updates as it always had under Fido???"

My S9 updates as required, regardless of which carrier's sim card I have installed.

@GSATV  Sounds like your account has not been provisioned properly. Best to submit a ticket and ask PM to reset your account from their end.

PMST.png

GSATV

@geopublic 

Actually, doesn't prompt me. However, now I'm a little concerned. I actually dial the #, a PM voice message tells me "I'm sorry, talk is not currently part of your plan".....

@GSATV  From your phone dial *#*#4636#*#*

Select phone information. What number does it display?

@GSATV wrote:

Likely just a matter of time until the network sends an update or PM Mod sends one. 

That update should have been pushed to your sim card long ago. It's supposed to get done as soon as you submit the number porting request. When Public Mobile receives such as request, they actually assign the number to your account before the request is even approved by the other carrier.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I'm not sure how your device gets updates. 

Fido might have filled the phone with their own wares and preferences... if so, then maybe it's configured to fetch updates through Fido network and maybe it'll even run on autopilot after no longer a Fido customer.

I'm sure that whatever they may (or may not) have done you can still run some built-in Samsung app to manage updates. Because the carriers can add bloatware and they can even remove or replace OEM software, but they cannot displace any branded OEM software (nor do they dare break hardware compatibility), and I'm guessing "Samsung Updater" is not something they'd mess around. 

At worst, you'd have to manually download/install updates from the Samsung site yourself.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Luddite wrote:

On the phone issue wait a bit for an Android user.

On linking to Community rewards just be sure the email address your used for @GSATV is the same one used to activate your PM account.

Now and then some folks using the phones for business have been perturbed by delayed response by moderators to a service issue. 

I have given some thought to the issue of service disruptions and have concluded a residential phone service, cellular or landline, alone is not a good solution if you cannot tolerate several days without service. A business voip service seems to offer the best balance of dependability and price BUT I am not an expert just an interested bystander on business service.

Some reading for you:

VOIP: https://top5voipproviders.com/ca/   and https://www.gonevoip.ca/

STILL WANT PM for the price: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/100-SERVICE/m-p/183753#M33693

If you did consider VoIP. I use this one. Easy to use. https://voip.ms/features/overview

GSATV

My giant thumbs and I hit the solution accepted button. 

LMAO. No solution as of yet 🤦‍♂️ lol

GSATV

@Korth question for you my friend! Any idea if my s10+ should continue to receive it's monthly firmware updates as it always had under Fido???

Never really considered that one. I suppose I could always find them online if not. 

GSATV

I actually did just that. Removed PM sim., Insertered Fido sim, no service. Figured I'd leave it powered down for a while. About 25 minutes or so. Booted it back up, still the temporary number showing up. 

Just verified, they've got the ported number in my self-serve account, so that's good. Also, seems Fido has closed the account or atleats the number on the account. Likely just a matter of time until the network sends an update or PM Mod sends one. 

Thanks and cheers!,

@geopublic wrote:

As for changing your username you can do that via the profile section in your selfserve account.

Since Burkely1313 was asking about the changing the username displayed "here", I assume that means Community username. That cannot be changed by the customer.  Only a moderator could do that. 

@GSATV  In order to verify that your port is complete insert your Fido sim card in your phone. If your sim does not work it means that the port is complete.

Power down your phone remove the sim and wait 15 minutes. Reinsert your PM sim card what number is shown?

If it's still the temp number then sign into selfserve select the Plan and addons tab and verify that the correct number is showing on the screen. As for changing your username you can do that via the profile section in your selfserve account.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@GSATV

I think you're good. Just gotta be patient.

It's probably unnecessary but won't hurt to try the other advice I gave above, just to rule out bad Self-Serve provisioning and bad device configuration.

GSATV

@Korth 

I have tried in another device, looked at the settings. Seems the sim is provisioned to this other temporary # I was given when signing up. 

I've learnt my lesson with PM, to in fact check and continue to check that I am indeed receiving what I'm paying for.

I agree with what you're saying, something along the way has definitely not been completed. My guess, Fido is yet to release the #. I've had several Fido CSRs reach out to me in the last few days trying to get my business back. They probably don't want that big fat, monthly pay day gone lol... Too bad for me, 3 other devices are still with them 😞

GSATV

@Korth 

It is indeed the SM-G975W. Eveyrthing I've looked into points to the right direction. Frequencies are good and in check with what Telus is putting out. 

Also, it's running Android 9.0. Definitely not the international version, or running Android X. 

Am I missing something?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

... I assume the device is a Samsung Galaxy S10+ (model SM-975x), running Android 9.0 (Pie). Some International models might be firmware-locked to other (non-Telus) regional radio frequencies or may run Google-branded Android X or a semi-proprietary Android One. 

A bona fide Android (and linux) user arrived.

Always logon to Self-Serve first and confirm you're actually getting (paying for) what you expected to get.

I suspect the number port has not fully completed on both sides yet. Some calls might go to new number or old number or simply be lost until everybody's network hardware (and GSM registries and billing depts) have all fully synced to the latest info. The only fix is to wait it out, couple days at most. And maybe try a phone restart every few hours, you never know.

In the meantime, you can try installing your SIM card into the other slot if you have a dual-SIM phone. Or you can try installing it into a different (unlocked, compatible, working) phone. If it happens to all work perfectly then you know the issue is something in the hardware/software configuration of your not-working phone - which is a problem PM can't fix no matter how much you contact them or how long you wait - plus you'll also have a way to immediately get your business number back online. 

DanielleMarie

@GSATV wrote:

that's what I shall do. Thank you. Now, my question is; do Moderators not actively contribute to this forum anymore?

I see them post occasionally but I think they'd prefer if people used the new bot ticket system. They post stuff in the accouncements section though of course.

GSATV

that's what I shall do. Thank you. Now, my question is; do Moderators not actively contribute to this forum anymore?

GSATV

@computergeek541  I apologize, I did not see the part about the chat bot at the top of your reply!

@computergeek541 wrote:

@GSATV Public Mobile does not provide support by e-mail.  The process now involves submitting a ticket through the automated chat program ("SIMon").

DanielleMarie

@GSATV wrote:

So, what's protocol now? Finding a PM Mod/Admin and sending them a PM?

You can open a ticket using the bot here: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

YVR

@GSATV wrote:

2) Ensure that this username is indeed linked to my new account for rewards? This profile is quite old, maybe 4-5 years old. Just wanted to verify! 

The community profile should be linked to your phone account by your email as the identifier.  You can double check when you open a ticket incase it did not / or isn't link to your current account

DanielleMarie

@computergeek541 wrote:

This is pushed by the network to be written to the sim card, and most times, restarting the phone will cause the number to be updated although I realize that this didn't happen this time.

Would airplane mode or a network reset help in this case or does it actually have to be pushed by the network again?

GSATV

@computergeek541  While I understand what you're saying about the phone ringing using PM SIM, i personally don't feel as though the port is complete until such a time as I see my actual phone # listed under the phone info. At that time will I then feel safe that everything has been swapped over.

So, what's protocol now? Finding a PM Mod/Admin and sending them a PM? When I was last with PM, they'd be active in the "community", what I call a forum. lol  I suppose they also got rid of that old tech support email address, where it would take 2 weeks to get a reply? lol

Cheers and Thank You

GSATV

Not harsh at all.  At the end of the day, the main reason i left PM a year or two ago was due to reliability, it just wasn't there. I will never fully ditch my post-paid service due to these issues. I have however, been following Public Mobile for some time now, and came to the conclusion that service seems to be stable with these guys now. The price is always a factor as well. Consider it is a prepaid service, I will give it the month. If I have a ton of customers mentioning that they can not get through to me or are having issues sending texts/receiving texts I'll bring the device back over to Fido or try Lucky out.

I woud agree with you on the whole business VOIP system. However, 1) the type of business I run does not allow me to use a VOIP or any type of dedicated line to receive voice calls/texts at anytime of the day... With that being said, I do have voip for international calls and what not. Fairly cheap service. I highly recommend these guys for international.. Not sure what the rules are here, however, if you want more info PM me.

@GSATV Public Mobile does not provide support by e-mail.  The process now involves submitting a ticket through the automated chat program ("SIMon").

When it comes to the number porting, your phone ringing with your Public Mobile sim card inserted in the phone is an indication that number porting is complete. This would also conicide with the text message that you recevied from Public Mobile about it being done. Your old carrier's service should also have stopped working.

As for the the wrong phone number being displayed in About Phone, your service will work fine regardless of what the phone number says. This is pushed by the network to be written to the sim card, and most times, restarting the phone will cause the number to be updated although I realize that this didn't happen this time.

When it comes to changing your Community username, only the moderators can do that for you.  Since you'll have to contact them anyway for that, I suggest also asking them to have the network push the updated phone number to your sim card.

@GSATV That last post may seem harsh given that myself, friends, and family have had absolutely no service interruptions for periods up to 5 years. I do maintain a personal backup that's never been needed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

On the phone issue wait a bit for an Android user.

On linking to Community rewards just be sure the email address you've used for @GSATV is the same one used to activate your PM account.

Now and then some folks using the phones for business have been perturbed by delayed response by moderators to a service issue. 

I have given some thought to the issue of service disruptions and have concluded a residential phone service, cellular or landline, alone is not a good solution if you cannot tolerate several days without service. A business voip service seems to offer the best balance of dependability and price BUT I am not an expert just an interested bystander on business service.

Some reading for you:

VOIP: https://top5voipproviders.com/ca/   and https://www.gonevoip.ca/

STILL WANT PM for the price: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/100-SERVICE/m-p/183753#M33693

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.