cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Phone # Displayed in phone info is different from phone # Ported in!

Hey Folks,

So, I've just recently switched back over to PM after paying those OUTRAGEOUS fees with my other carrier and brought my s10+ over with me!

Here's the scoop: Purchased SIM Card, created account under a temporary #, and either that evening or the morning after, I ported in my Fido #.  I have a home business, so usually my phone is going off the hook. Therefore, I feel as though there may be an issue?

I received the text from PM stating that my number porting has been successful, however, when I go into the "about phone" to verify things have indeed been changed over, it's still displaying my "temporary PM phone #" as the # that's provisioned to the phone.  I have done several soft and hard reboots, pulled the SIM out, and just about everything and anything in between... I'm not sure if this is just some sort of glitch.  From what I know, my texts are being sent out, and I have no issues receiving calls **that I know of!

I'm going to fire this post off to tech support email, if that still exists, but in the meantime I was hoping a mod or someone of the likes can indeed verify that the porting process is complete and sucessful and that I need not to worry.

Thank You! 

*****One other quick question: Does anyone know how to 1) Change the username that's displayed here? 2) Ensure that this username is indeed linked to my new account for rewards? This profile is quite old, maybe 4-5 years old. Just wanted to verify! Cheers!****

Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Phone # Displayed in phone info is different from phone # Ported in!

On the phone issue wait a bit for an Android user.

On linking to Community rewards just be sure the email address you've used for @GSATV is the same one used to activate your PM account.

Now and then some folks using the phones for business have been perturbed by delayed response by moderators to a service issue. 

I have given some thought to the issue of service disruptions and have concluded a residential phone service, cellular or landline, alone is not a good solution if you cannot tolerate several days without service. A business voip service seems to offer the best balance of dependability and price BUT I am not an expert just an interested bystander on business service.

Some reading for you:

VOIP: https://top5voipproviders.com/ca/   and https://www.gonevoip.ca/

STILL WANT PM for the price: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/100-SERVICE/m-p/183753#M33693

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.
Highlighted
Oracle

@GSATV That last post may seem harsh given that myself, friends, and family have had absolutely no service interruptions for periods up to 5 years. I do maintain a personal backup that's never been needed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GSATV Public Mobile does not provide support by e-mail.  The process now involves submitting a ticket through the automated chat program ("SIMon").

When it comes to the number porting, your phone ringing with your Public Mobile sim card inserted in the phone is an indication that number porting is complete. This would also conicide with the text message that you recevied from Public Mobile about it being done. Your old carrier's service should also have stopped working.

As for the the wrong phone number being displayed in About Phone, your service will work fine regardless of what the phone number says. This is pushed by the network to be written to the sim card, and most times, restarting the phone will cause the number to be updated although I realize that this didn't happen this time.

When it comes to changing your Community username, only the moderators can do that for you.  Since you'll have to contact them anyway for that, I suggest also asking them to have the network push the updated phone number to your sim card.

Highlighted

Not harsh at all.  At the end of the day, the main reason i left PM a year or two ago was due to reliability, it just wasn't there. I will never fully ditch my post-paid service due to these issues. I have however, been following Public Mobile for some time now, and came to the conclusion that service seems to be stable with these guys now. The price is always a factor as well. Consider it is a prepaid service, I will give it the month. If I have a ton of customers mentioning that they can not get through to me or are having issues sending texts/receiving texts I'll bring the device back over to Fido or try Lucky out.

I woud agree with you on the whole business VOIP system. However, 1) the type of business I run does not allow me to use a VOIP or any type of dedicated line to receive voice calls/texts at anytime of the day... With that being said, I do have voip for international calls and what not. Fairly cheap service. I highly recommend these guys for international.. Not sure what the rules are here, however, if you want more info PM me.

Highlighted

@computergeek541  While I understand what you're saying about the phone ringing using PM SIM, i personally don't feel as though the port is complete until such a time as I see my actual phone # listed under the phone info. At that time will I then feel safe that everything has been swapped over.

So, what's protocol now? Finding a PM Mod/Admin and sending them a PM? When I was last with PM, they'd be active in the "community", what I call a forum. lol  I suppose they also got rid of that old tech support email address, where it would take 2 weeks to get a reply? lol

Cheers and Thank You

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

This is pushed by the network to be written to the sim card, and most times, restarting the phone will cause the number to be updated although I realize that this didn't happen this time.

Would airplane mode or a network reset help in this case or does it actually have to be pushed by the network again?

Highlighted

@GSATV wrote:

2) Ensure that this username is indeed linked to my new account for rewards? This profile is quite old, maybe 4-5 years old. Just wanted to verify! 

The community profile should be linked to your phone account by your email as the identifier.  You can double check when you open a ticket incase it did not / or isn't link to your current account

Highlighted

@GSATV wrote:

So, what's protocol now? Finding a PM Mod/Admin and sending them a PM?

You can open a ticket using the bot here: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Highlighted

@computergeek541  I apologize, I did not see the part about the chat bot at the top of your reply!

@computergeek541 wrote:

@GSATV Public Mobile does not provide support by e-mail.  The process now involves submitting a ticket through the automated chat program ("SIMon").