cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Compatibility

Spike1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

PM website said my phone was compatible but having trouble registering on the network.  My phone has networks 3G WCDMA: 2100/900(B1/8) and 4G FDD-LTE: 2100/1800/2600/900/800(B1/3/7/8/20), should this work?  I am wanting to use 4G.

10 REPLIES 10

@Spike1 wrote:

PM website said my phone was compatible but having trouble registering on the network.  My phone has networks 3G WCDMA: 2100/900(B1/8) and 4G FDD-LTE: 2100/1800/2600/900/800(B1/3/7/8/20), should this work?  I am wanting to use 4G.

Data and text messaging might work sometimes if you're able to connect to band 7 LTE.  However, you will not be able to make or recieve any phone calls.

Even in the help pages, there is no mention of any of this.  Public Mobile makes it seem as if customers can pick or choose which compatibility guidelines need to be followed which just isn't the case.

@GinYVR wrote:

@hycm53Unfortuntely Public Mobile doesn't have 2G anymore

Technically never had. 2G is GSM technology. Public Mobile started with CDMA, different ball game.

@hycm53 wrote:

@Spike1 wrote:

Ulefone Power 5

According to this website, your phone only works on PM 2G, so turn on your phone "Preferred network type" to 2G. So you can't use 4G as your first post wrote.

@hycm53 

Public Mobile does NOT work with 2G. Whatever website you found that information on, is wrong. The only network in Canada that supports 2G frequencies is Rogers (and it's subsidiaries Fido, ChatR, cityphone/Zoomer, SpeakOut/PetroCan). They intend to take 2G off the grid in 2020.

Public Mobile needs 3G (UMTS/WCDMA) bands 2 (1900) and 5 (850) as an absolute minimum. The Power 5 will not work.

@hycm53Unfortuntely Public Mobile doesn't have 2G anymore

@Spike1 wrote:

Ulefone Power 5

According to this website, your phone only works on PM 2G, so turn on your phone "Preferred network type" to 2G. So you can't use 4G as your first post wrote.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/ulefone-power5

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Spike1, your phone is not compatible on Public Mobile.  The 3G bands are 850/1900 Mhz.  If you can't get this to match, no point in even talking about the LTE bands as you need 3G for talk.  BTW, only the 2600 Mhz LTE frequency is compatible which is why you have connectivity issues.  2600 Mhz is not a frequency that is well covered throughout the network. 

Spike1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ulefone Power 5

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Please note that this information is indicative only. Your phone's compatibility with our 4G or 4G LTE networks is based on the radio frequencies of your phone. Public Mobile does not guarantee that your phone will work on our mobile network.

I believe other posts have mentioned Band 4 as being a necessity or at least recommended for LTE on PM. I've also heard of band 2 and 5 being used, but don't see them either. ???

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

What brand and model is your phone? @Spike1 

Need Help? Let's chat.