cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Compatibility

TessieBoo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

My mom is moving into an assisted retirement residence.  Instead of transferring her home phone to her new home, I would like to buy her a cell phone which is especially made for seniors.  So far, all the ones that I have looked at are not popular well-known brands, and these brands are not listed in your compatibility dropdown. I have found one that says that it is compatible with Telus, Bell, and Rogers. If it is compatible with Telus, does that mean it will be compatible with Public Mobile?  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

35 REPLIES 35

@TessieBoo wrote:

@Nezgar 

Thank you for your suggestions. Mom won’t have internet at the manor. I think I’ll just go with the cell.  The one I’m getting her is very much like a cordless phone, and is supposed to be made with the elderly in mind.  Thanks again.

A hybrid way of doing things would be to get a smartphone in case she wants to use the internet.  There are bluetooth cordless phones that can pair to  the smartphone to give the traditional telphone use feel.  However, she'd have to get use to how to get the bluetooth cordless phone to reconnect/pair again with the cellular device should there be any technical difficulties with the connection.

TessieBoo

@Nezgar 

Thank you for your suggestions. Mom won’t have internet at the manor. I think I’ll just go with the cell.  The one I’m getting her is very much like a cordless phone, and is supposed to be made with the elderly in mind.  Thanks again.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@TessieBoo 

It sounds like you're well on your way here. Public Mobile and cell phones are great and all, but you might also want to consider keeping a conventional "land line" style phone for her, to avoid incidents with phone not charging, etc.

If your mom has a wired ethernet internet connection available at the new residence, she could get Fongo home phone for $5-6/mo with unlimited canada-wide calling. They will will sell you a cheap pre-configured VoIP adapter that provides a conventional phone port to plug into.

Both Fongo home phone, and Public Moible allow porting in and keeping her existing phone number. Just keep in mind that this process can take upwards of a week or a bit more to complete fully from land lines.

Last option is still porting to Public Mobile, but rather than an actual cel phone, using a cellular "home phone" adapter like the ZTE721 that takes the SIM card, and allows connecting a regular analog phone to an RJ11 jack. The box also has an internal battery that will continue to work for a few hours during a power outage too.

Here is an example link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/ZTE-WF721-Wireless-Home-Phone/dp/B08W6B56ZC/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=zte+h...

Good luck with whichever route you choose!

Ok. If you need more ideas where to buy you can PM me. 

TessieBoo

@LurganIeUk 

We live in Easten Ontario, and unfortunately we don’t have London Drugs…I’ve been to the London Drug stores in Saskatchewan and Alberta, and love them.

@TessieBoo wrote:

@Anonymous 

Oh yes, I intend to get her a new SIM card.  Tried the link you sent me to buy on line but, their site is down for maintenance and won’t be open until first week of Sept.  I’m going to stop at the Telus Store tomorrow and see if they have them.  Also, Walmart is supposed to sell them - I tried there last year when I decided to switch to Public, and they although they have them, they wouldn’t sell me one….they said that they only sell them when you sign up with Public through them.

Best no hassle place to buy in the west is London Drugs. Telus store will not have. I can tell you how to get a free one too.  

TessieBoo

@LurganIeUk 

Gee, she does a lot better than my mom if she has an iPad.  Mom would be completely lost with that.  But, I do think she’ll get the knack of using a cell phone.

TessieBoo

@darlicious 

Thank you so much for all your advice.  It’s very kind of you, and I appreciate it.

TessieBoo

@Anonymous 

Oh yes, I intend to get her a new SIM card.  Tried the link you sent me to buy on line but, their site is down for maintenance and won’t be open until first week of Sept.  I’m going to stop at the Telus Store tomorrow and see if they have them.  Also, Walmart is supposed to sell them - I tried there last year when I decided to switch to Public, and they although they have them, they wouldn’t sell me one….they said that they only sell them when you sign up with Public through them.

@TessieBoo wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Thank you for your reply.  I know the phone you are suggesting is better, but she is 91 years old, so won’t be texting, and won’t be using the internet.  The phone that I have chosen for her will be fine -  all she wants is a phone she can make and receive calls on, and a hands-free speaker.  Her sight isn’t too bad, and she wears hearing aids, and,  she does have arthritis throughout her whole body.  

Similar to my MIL who is 94 but nearly blind, wears hearing aids and help a bit, and arthritis. 

She has an iPhone and a larger iPad. She does sort of ok with iPad and always takes phone with her but I watch her account.....she has not used it in over a year. She bought the largest "keys" phone from CNIB but keeps getting the cord mixed up when hanging up and then leaves the phone off the hook so to speak. So has gone back to a Panasonic wireless phone set. 

And the TV remote control...that's another story. 

Her main issue is seeing the keys and she presses tooooo hard. 

I guess if you port a land line to a PM phone it will be ok just don't tell anyone that she has a cell phone.....or they will begin to text her. And since PM is prepaid you can always port back to a landline. 

@TessieBoo 

Since there isn't a rush to port your mom's number over and CCS is on holiday just keep an eye out for either an additional flash sale by CCS ( often a free month) or a stackable flash sale from pm and consider my suggestion of ordering the $50 plan for the first month and downgrading to the $15 for the second month.

Those who ordered CCS's free month flash sale two weeks ago also benefited from being able to stack the 5gb bonus data add on  so they saved 30% off their first month ($50-$15=$35), got a free sim card ($5), a free month credit ($50), a 5gb bonus data add on (value=$75) all for $35+ tax (gst only if you are outside of Ontario) Shortly before the first renewal you schedule a plan change to the $15 plan.

The math is all in my thread but you basically get six months of service for that original $35 investment. Sure your mom won't use the data in the first month (10.5gb) or the bonus data add on if there is one when you activate but you can hotspot off her data if you two are stuck waiting for an appt. or the ferry etc....and watch a video together or play scrabble or whatever......

Most of the time despite the T&C of a promotion saying you will lose the bonus data add on if you change plans you almost always keep it....YMMV though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TessieBoo wrote:

@darlicious 

Thank you.  I haven’t ordered a SIM card yet, just the phone.

@TessieBoo 

i suggest you get a NEW SIM card is better for you and fast way

from any Retail store and you buy it right away,

Where To Buy A SIM card,

You can purchase a Public Mobile SIM card at a variety of retail locations. Click Here link 

to open our store locator and find the closest retailer to you.

or 

Too easy buy it online or in store visit Here link , or Pickup 1-2 Hours.

or Amazon link.

TessieBoo

@darlicious 

Thank you.  I haven’t ordered a SIM card yet, just the phone.

@TessieBoo 

Even though you have already ordered a sim card consider CCS as you will save a minimum 20% off the first month and get a free sim card. They may be on holiday til the end of the month though.....

But they do deliver thru Canada post within 5 business days. I try and update this thread with their new offers....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Retail/CCS-latest-pm-marketing/m-p/644382#M4535

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TessieBoo wrote:

@Anonymous 

Yes, I will make sure that I use my code…..always like to save money…LOL. She will enjoy the $10 off too.

@TessieBoo 

Keep her Happy she deserves it more and more.....

TessieBoo

@Anonymous 

Yes, I will make sure that I use my code…..always like to save money…LOL. She will enjoy the $10 off too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TessieBoo wrote:

@Anonymous 

Thank you.  I will test it with my SIM card when it’s delivered next week.  I don’t want anything too fancy for her as she will be using it as a phone only….so, I think this will be okay.  If not, will send back and try something else.  Oh, by the way, I didn’t order the phone that I posted here.  I found something which in my opinion is better, and it absolutely is compatible with Public Mobile.

@TessieBoo 

your welcome
and i hope she love it and good luck,

when you Activate online don't forgetting to use your Refer A Friend code
you will earn $1 every 30 days for each friend you refer to Public Mobile who enters your unique referral code in the referral code box during activation. Plus, your friend will receive a one-time credit of $10. You’ll continue to earn Rewards on plan renewal dates as long as your friends remain active customers.

and nice to Set up AutoPay and you will receive a $2 credit every 30 days. save money and safe and security 100%.

TessieBoo

@Anonymous 

Thank you.  I will test it with my SIM card when it’s delivered next week.  I don’t want anything too fancy for her as she will be using it as a phone only….so, I think this will be okay.  If not, will send back and try something else.  Oh, by the way, I didn’t order the phone that I posted here.  I found something which in my opinion is better, and it absolutely is compatible with Public Mobile.

TessieBoo

@LurganIeUk 

Thank you for your reply.  I know the phone you are suggesting is better, but she is 91 years old, so won’t be texting, and won’t be using the internet.  The phone that I have chosen for her will be fine -  all she wants is a phone she can make and receive calls on, and a hands-free speaker.  Her sight isn’t too bad, and she wears hearing aids, and,  she does have arthritis throughout her whole body.  

TessieBoo

@Anonymous 

Thank you for your reply.  I find the compatibility checker isn’t much help when there are so many different companies manufacturing phones, and most of thos companies are not mentioned there.  Oh well, it’s a great bunch of people in this community that always answer all my questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think they should get rid of the compatibility checker all together. It's not exhaustive of every device under the sun. Just have that disclaimer bit way more prominent that tells the frequencies and bands that are needed and leave it to the shopper to read up on what the device their interested in, has.

Then also mention that not all areas will have the required 3G frequencies/bands. ie. MB areas.

But do bring back the phone number checker for porting and the IMEI checker for blacklisted.

That Amazon phone will be fine here.

@TessieBoo wrote:

Thank you S—S Mayor/Marie.  I thought that if it was compatible with Telus, it would also be so with Public as I know Public is under the Telus Umbrella.  Just wanted to make sure before ordering the phone.  None of the big name manufacturers seem to make phones that are especially designed for seniors.

That isn't necessarily true. A phone being shown as compatible even on the Public Mobile compatibility websites or the fact that it works with Telus doesn't necesssarily mean that it wll work properly at Public Mobile.  Public Mobile's comptability checker say that a phone is compatible with Public Mobile if it has at least one LTE frequency that they use. However, the phone might not be compatible with the HSPA network which would mean that phone calls would not be possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TessieBoo 

check it out if you like it 

visit Here link 

or Here link 

or Here link  

or Here link 

and all they say unlocked and is will working with public mobile....

I would recommend an iPhone....at least a 6S for the larger size. This will give an alpha keyboard to text  and she can also use FaceTime. Is her sight and hearing good? And any arthritis in her hands?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TessieBoo 

that device is maybe is working the say 

About this item

• 1.♪♫【Carrier】Ushining 3G basic cell phone, works with Rogers (Fido), Telus (Koodo), Bell (Virgin Mobile) or any carrier operates on these networks. Band Mode: GSM 850/1900MHz,WCDMA 850/1900MHz. ***NOT compatible with Wind Mobile(Freedom Mobile), Videotron or Mobilicity.
  • 2.♪♫【Easy to use】Big volume for easy hearing, Big font & big icon for easy viewing, Big button for easy dialing simple operating system easy to use.

and if you buy it you can test it with your SIM card you have for PM right and if you like it keep it and if you don't like it you have 30 day to return to amazon for free you know.

my advice looking for anything better device..

TessieBoo

Oops, didn’t notice that….only noticed the providers that it is supposedly compatible with…..oh darn!  Back to the drawing board!  Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TessieBoo wrote:

This is the phone I’m looking at for my mom.  I’m not so good with the technical stuff….LOL

TessieBoo_0-1630172296538.png

wait a min the at amazon is say Wireless carrier: Virgin Mobile is not unlocked device

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TessieBoo 

which device brand you will buy it...

TessieBoo

This is the phone I’m looking at for my mom.  I’m not so good with the technical stuff….LOL

TessieBoo_0-1630172296538.png

TessieBoo

Thank you S—S Mayor/Marie.  I thought that if it was compatible with Telus, it would also be so with Public as I know Public is under the Telus Umbrella.  Just wanted to make sure before ordering the phone.  None of the big name manufacturers seem to make phones that are especially designed for seniors.

Need Help? Let's chat.