Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Re: Phone Compatibility

@TessieBoo wrote:

@S--S 

Oh yes, I intend to get her a new SIM card.  Tried the link you sent me to buy on line but, their site is down for maintenance and won’t be open until first week of Sept.  I’m going to stop at the Telus Store tomorrow and see if they have them.  Also, Walmart is supposed to sell them - I tried there last year when I decided to switch to Public, and they although they have them, they wouldn’t sell me one….they said that they only sell them when you sign up with Public through them.

Best no hassle place to buy in the west is London Drugs. Telus store will not have. I can tell you how to get a free one too.  

TessieBoo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@LurganIeUk 

We live in Easten Ontario, and unfortunately we don’t have London Drugs…I’ve been to the London Drug stores in Saskatchewan and Alberta, and love them.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Ok. If you need more ideas where to buy you can PM me. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@TessieBoo 

It sounds like you're well on your way here. Public Mobile and cell phones are great and all, but you might also want to consider keeping a conventional "land line" style phone for her, to avoid incidents with phone not charging, etc.

If your mom has a wired ethernet internet connection available at the new residence, she could get Fongo home phone for $5-6/mo with unlimited canada-wide calling. They will will sell you a cheap pre-configured VoIP adapter that provides a conventional phone port to plug into.

Both Fongo home phone, and Public Moible allow porting in and keeping her existing phone number. Just keep in mind that this process can take upwards of a week or a bit more to complete fully from land lines.

Last option is still porting to Public Mobile, but rather than an actual cel phone, using a cellular "home phone" adapter like the ZTE721 that takes the SIM card, and allows connecting a regular analog phone to an RJ11 jack. The box also has an internal battery that will continue to work for a few hours during a power outage too.

Here is an example link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/ZTE-WF721-Wireless-Home-Phone/dp/B08W6B56ZC/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=zte+h...

Good luck with whichever route you choose!

TessieBoo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Nezgar 

Thank you for your suggestions. Mom won’t have internet at the manor. I think I’ll just go with the cell.  The one I’m getting her is very much like a cordless phone, and is supposed to be made with the elderly in mind.  Thanks again.

@TessieBoo wrote:

@Nezgar 

Thank you for your suggestions. Mom won’t have internet at the manor. I think I’ll just go with the cell.  The one I’m getting her is very much like a cordless phone, and is supposed to be made with the elderly in mind.  Thanks again.

A hybrid way of doing things would be to get a smartphone in case she wants to use the internet.  There are bluetooth cordless phones that can pair to  the smartphone to give the traditional telphone use feel.  However, she'd have to get use to how to get the bluetooth cordless phone to reconnect/pair again with the cellular device should there be any technical difficulties with the connection.

Need Help? Let's chat.