Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Compatibility Enquiry

Lyuh1945
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

To whom this concerns:

Greetings,

May I please ask whether a Doro 824 is compatible to any of the Public Mobile pkans?

I look forward to receiving a reply.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely, 

Bak Yongho

37 REPLIES 37

London Drugs will sell PM SIM card (if you need one) and sell PM Payment Vouchers (if you need any). They also sell new unlocked phones (if you need one).

If you buy any of those things they can also setup your PM account and Plan, activate, configure, and test all your PM services (if you like) - at no extra cost - so you can walk out of the store with working phone. 

They might also sell long-distance calling cards which can call places (like Norway and Belarus) which PM can't. 

All you need is an unlocked and compatible phone (unless you buy one there), $10 for SIM card (unless you already have one), enough $$ to pay for the first month of your Plan (unless you already paid funds into your PM account), and a valid email address.

You can (and should) login to your PM Self-Serve afterwards to change your password/info/etc, confirm you have the Plan you want, set up AutoPay (if you want), and even choose a different phone number if you like (before you start giving your number out to people).

If you think you qualify for a promo or you want a different Plan than the store gave you then ask about it at these forums or msg the PM Moderators directly to see if credits/changes can be made to your account (these likely wouldn't take effect until your next billing cycle).

I've merged all message threads related to getting this phone model, where ro get a sim card for it, and how to activate.

MasonH

You can try and activate it online and see if it works but I'm pretty sure you need a public mobile Sim card. Caneither order one online here or can go to a mobile shop and buy one there. But I would try the Sim card you have now and see if it does work. 

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lyuh1945 wrote:

Dear comrades:

I should please like to ask whether PUBLIC accepts any SIM card as long as it be a 19 digit one?

Yours sincerely,

Bak Yongho

No Provider around the Globe except another Providers Sim Card.    However some will except a same Providers Sim card if they fall under the same brand

@Lyuh1945 hi no you need a new public mobile sim card Smiley Happy

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Lyuh1945 wrote:

Dear comrades:

I should like to ask whether I could buy a PUBLIC sim card at shops other than ones shown on the company's shop locator.

Public Mobile is popular and growing. Wherever you find a new and unused PM sim for sale, you can buy it and use it successfully, as long as your phone is compatible here and unlocked. Keep watching the Public Mobile website for flash sales that might include sim card incentives.

@Lyuh1945 look up the small independently owned mobile/cellphone service shops in your area. Many of them will carry public mobile SIM cards. Check their websites or call to see if they have them in stock.

@Lyuh1945 wrote:

Dear comrades:

I should like to ask whether I could buy a PUBLIC sim card at shops other than ones shown on the company's shop locator.

Public Mobile is popular and growing. Wherever you find a new and unused PM sim for sale, you can buy it and use it successfully, as long as your phone is compatible here and unlocked. Keep watching the Public Mobile website for flash sales that might include sim card incentives.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lyuh1945   where would you like to buy the sim card?

@Lyuh1945You can purchase online via Public Mobile, Amazon. A lot of the times eBay, Craigslist, Kijiji would have it cheaper than suggested list price of $10. Independent shops some times carry them.

Lyuh1945

Dear comrades:

@Lyuh1945No it has to be a Public Mobile one and has to never had been activated. Public Mobile SIM cards has 19 digits SIM number that starts with 8912200.

Lyuh1945

Dear comrades:

I should please like to ask whether PUBLIC accepts any SIM card as long as it be a 19 digit one?

Yours sincerely,

Bak Yongho

@Lyuh1945  If you go to the main website publicmobile.ca there is an option to locate the closest retail location by providing your postal code. Give it a try and see what it recommends.

Lyuh1945

Dear Mr or Ms mimmo:

Thank you for your reply.

Would any SIM card work as long as it be a 19 digit one?

YOurs sincerely,

Bak Yongho

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lyuh1945  most walmarts, wow moble, moble shops (superstore)  will sell and activate sim cards for you.

edit you can also try the store locater https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/store-locator

Lyuh1945

To whom this concerns:

Unfortunately, I have tried to no avail.

I nonetheless thank you for your advice.

Yours sincerely,

Bak Yongho

Lyuh1945

Dear commrades:

Greetings,

I should please like to ask whether there is a shop closer to The Anexx than is Dynasmart Wireles 3 MANOR RD E TORONTO ON M4S1P7.

Yours sincerely,

Bak Yongho

magicmedia

Try it out by registering and activating it on PM website, it should be fine.

@Lyuh1945You need a Public Mobile SIM card which has 19 digits in order for your phone to work with Public Mobile. You cannot use another companys' SIM cards and expect them to work with Public Mobile.

Lyuh1945

Dear commenters:

Greetings,

I should please like to know why my sim card number has 20 digits not 19 and whether I must buy a new card to subscribe to a PUBLIC plan.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Bak Yongho

Sim cards are shipped by Canada Post Xpresspost from Mississauga.  You're looking at next business day delviery after Public Mobile has shipped the sim card.

Lyuh1945

To whom this concerns:

Greetings,

May I pleased be informed as to how many days a delivery of a sim-card to my lodgeing in Toronto near The Annex would take?

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Bak Yongho

threads merged

@Lyuh1945SIM card will fit 3 sizes of SIMs so you should be okay unless the phone uses eSim.

Lyuh1945

Dear commenters:

Greetings,

May I please ask whether a SIM card sold online by PUBLIC would fit my Doro 824?

Thank you.

Yours sincerely, 

Bak Yongho

Prepaid Long-Distance calling cards are always an option. They work with any phone service, you call some specific 1-800 type of number (which is usually based somewhere in Canada or maybe USA) and enter a PIN, instructions are always printed on the card itself.

They usually only cost pennies per minute (until their prepaid balance is depleted). The gimmick is that they eventually expire, or they gradually diminish the balance over time, or they impose a small charge on each call dialed. They can still be a good deal if you find one which can connect to your destination and works for your calling needs.

Public Mobile doesn't sell them. Lots of vendors like Wal-Mart, London Drugs, 7-Eleven, and Money Mart do - although you might have to look around a little.

Public Mobike doesn't offer any international options for Norway or Belarus. Lucky Mobile offers a variety of international calling bundles - one includes Norway, another includes Russia (though it doesn't specifically say Belarus). I think Public Mobile is a better deal overall (a much better deal if you can find good calling cards somewhere) but Lucky might cost you less if you need hundreds of minutes of calling to those two countries every month.

@Lyuh1945If you chose to use voip, it will not count against your minutes on your Public Mobile account. They are seperate services.

Lyuh1945

To Ms Marie:

Based upon your kind advice I have chosen VoipBuster.

May I please ask whether my calls on VoipBuster would be considered as domestic calls within Ontario?

Yours sincerely, 

Bak Yongho

DanielleMarie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Lyuh1945 wrote:

To Ms Marie:

May I please ask what ought I to do to call to Norway and Belarus?

Yours sincerely,

Bak Yongho

You may need to look into a VOIP type service. I'm not sure which would be best for calling those countries in particular but in general people recommend TextNow or Fongo. You might find cheaper rates (or even free calling) if you do some research on other services though.

Hopefully someone else with more experience calling those countries can chime in!

Lyuh1945

To Ms Marie:

May I please ask what ought I to do to call to Norway and Belarus?

Yours sincerely,

Bak Yongho

Need Help? Let's chat.