cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Automatically Reset to Factory After Inserting Sim

kcjans
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Community,

I was excited to join the Public Mobile world and just finished registering for an account and inseting my sim when out of no where my phone automatically restarted. When it finished restarting, it had automatically FACTORY RESET! I didn't change any settings or touch anything. When it factory reset it came up with a message that said "Unauthorized attempt to factory reset your phone has been detected". I tried restarting again and removing the sim but unfortunately I have lost everything and it is now factory reset. 

Has anyone encountered this? I am very upset by this and confused as to how this could have happened. I have a Samsung S9 and was previously with Telus.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

@mrpurds wrote:

This just happened to my son... erasing ALL of his pictures that he took on a 12 day trip to Israel.   I am so upset. 

Note:  I have a Samsung that I switched from Telus - did NOT happen. 

I just set up my daughter's account on a Samsung - NO PREVIOUS carrier - did NOT happen

Son's account on a Samsung - NO PREVIOUS carrier - RESET

I don't understand WHY....   

--  mrspurds  (mother to mrpurds..... just remembered I'm on his account....)

This isn't a Public Mobile issue, but rather a Samsung one in its entirety.  These phones are only supposed to do this when the very first ever sim card is inserted for the first time. I even find that part inexcusable because many people (including me) set everything up on the phone before even putting the sim card in.

As I said, this is only supposed to happen the first time that only the first sim card goes in.  It is never supposed to happen again. It's bad software programming, and Public Mobile plays no part is this matter.

mrpurds

This just happened to my son... erasing ALL of his pictures that he took on a 12 day trip to Israel.   I am so upset. 

Note:  I have a Samsung that I switched from Telus - did NOT happen. 

I just set up my daughter's account on a Samsung - NO PREVIOUS carrier - did NOT happen

Son's account on a Samsung - NO PREVIOUS carrier - RESET

I don't understand WHY....   

--  mrspurds  (mother to mrpurds..... just remembered I'm on his account....)

kcjans

Thanks for your help! It does seem like this is what happened. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@popping wrote:

@popping wrote:

@kcjans wrote:

Hi Community,

I was excited to join the Public Mobile world and just finished registering for an account and inseting my sim when out of no where my phone automatically restarted. When it finished restarting, it had automatically FACTORY RESET! I didn't change any settings or touch anything. When it factory reset it came up with a message that said "Unauthorized attempt to factory reset your phone has been detected". I tried restarting again and removing the sim but unfortunately I have lost everything and it is now factory reset. 

Has anyone encountered this? I am very upset by this and confused as to how this could have happened. I have a Samsung S9 and was previously with Telus.

Thanks

@kcjans 

This is what Samsung called SIM Profiling.  When you are inserting different SIM card, i.e. switching provider, Canadian Samsung phone with do factory reset in order to load the apps specific to the new provider.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-smartphone-factory-data-reset-when-i-insert...

PM is not the one which initializes the factory reset.

Therefore, if you have a new Sumsung phone, do a backup before inserting a new SIM card of different provider.

I think Samsung is doing this after CRTC changed the rule that providers cannot lock their phones they sell.  Samsung uses factory reset to make sure that the system is initialized for the new provider.

@popping wrote:

Therefore, if you have a new Sumsung phone, do a backup before inserting a new SIM card of different provider.

It's not supposed to happen when changing sims. I guess this can be used a reminder for everyone to always have stuff backed up.

popping

@popping wrote:

@kcjans wrote:

Hi Community,

Thanks

@kcjans 

This is what Samsung called SIM Profiling.  When you are inserting different SIM card, i.e. switching provider, Canadian Samsung phone with do factory reset in order to load the apps specific to the new provider.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-smartphone-factory-data-reset-when-i-insert...

@popping wrote:

@kcjans wrote:

Hi Community,

Thanks

@kcjans 

One more reason to hate Samsung phones.

They really rub me the wrong way

I hate when they know better what you need

And that follow your face to pause the video playback is beyond creepy

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not sure why it would do that, but in Android fourms I have seen it's possible. It's a very rare thing to happen but has happened to others. In this case it's not your sim that caused issue. From what I read on fourms it would be a issue with your phone that caused it. To say exactly what issue it was I'm not sure 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@kcjans Most current Samsungs do this when first sim is inserted. You will need to set everything up again. It shouldn't have happened changing sims. Did you just buy the phone? It is supposed to do this if the phone is new. Blame Samsung.

popping

@kcjans wrote:

Hi Community,

Thanks

@kcjans 

@kcjans hears a thread where a couple of people had a similar experience with a Galaxy S9. Read through and see if you see anything familiar. Have you tried google to see if there are other S9 unauthorised resets?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Phone-got-factory-reset-after-US-roamin...

@kcjans was your Samsung cloud account set up?  If so you should be able to get your phone back to the way it was!  Weird that it did a factory reset by itself and that the phone knows it made an unauthorized factory reset 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Wow I've never heard anything like that

I'm not even sure how it's possible.

It should have been pretty much seamless no need to unlock just maybe restart with the sim inside.

I can imagine how frustrating it may be to lose EVERYTHING

I a actually don't sync stuff, I guess I better start.

Need Help? Let's chat.