cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone 5s A1533 compatibility

LHBC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was wondering if an unlocked iPhone 5S model A1533 (CDMA) will work on PM? The specs say it supports  LTE cellular. I did the IMEI checker and it said no but wanted to double check to confirm. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

@LHBC You may have a first from the IMEI checker. It is not always correct but the usual error is "may work" when a phone won't work. Yours will be the first I have seen that is reported "won't work" when it will.

Our other "go to" source (again not always correct) is http://willmyphonework.net which is reporting that both models will connect to PM's 3G network, but only partially on the LTE network; partially means only 1 of the frequencies is supported so reception is "spottier".

What is absolutely certain is that the phone will not function unless unlocked. You may also find these two articles instructive: http://www.cnet.com/news/switching-carriers-you-may-be-able-to-take-your-iphone-5s-with-you/ and http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/iphone-faq/differences-between-iphone-5s-models.html Apparently the CDMA version was sold through Verizon and will be locked to them, unless someone went to the trouble to have it unlocked.

We will all be interested to learn how you make out.

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

LHBC

Thanks for the clarification...yes the phone does have a nano sim slot.  I will get a PM sim then.😀

@LHBC Hi all; all iPhones have a SIM card slot. The quickest compatibility test is the following:

- Get a PM SIM (they're free) and look at the message on the phone when it is installed. Even if not yet activated, it will say "No Service" if the phone is compatible with PM's network. If it says "Enter Code", then the phone is not unlocked. If its says, "No SIM" likely the SIM or phone is defective.

iPhones must be unlocked or purchased from Koodo/Telus to connect to the PM netowrk.

You can read more about compatibility here.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, that is what I meant, that this model does not appear to use a removable sim card. As @Shazia_K stated, that can be confirmed if there is no sim card slot on the phone.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @LHBC,

To add to what @JaK said, I think he meant that, this phone does not accept a SIM card, meaning there is no SIM card slot. Can you confirm if it does? 

Looking at the phone specs and if you confirm that a SIM card could be used on this phone, this phone should be functional on our network after being unlocked. 

I hope this helps?

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

LHBC

I do not have a sim....thanks for your reply....not the answer I wanted...😞

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Taking a quick look at the iPhone 5s models I found this: 

• Model A1533 (GSM): This is the GSM version of model A1533 which is being sold locked and unlocked for AT&T and T-Mobile. This is also the SIM-free international version of iPhone 5S, which doesn’t include a nano-SIM card. It supports 11 LTE bands LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25), UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz).
  • Model A1533 (CDMA): This is the CDMA version of A1533. It works on CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz) and is being sold for Verizon’s customers. It supports 11 LTE Bands (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25), UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz).

The implication is that this phone doesn't have a sim card, does it? If it doesn't, then I don't think it can be made to work with PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.