cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PUK code not working

hsungje
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ordered a Public Mobile SIM card, while trying to unlock my phone I entered my network unlock code wrong too many times and the phone started asking for the PUK code seen below:

Screenshot_20180210-182518.png

I've contacted the PM moderator to get the PUK code, but when I enter the code provided, it just says "Incorrect network unlock code entered".

I'm currently using Galaxy Note 5 still locked with Bell. Anyone experienced this before?

26 REPLIES 26

James1987
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

there is a useful article here that details how to bypass the puk code screen.

https://www.netpal.co.uk/how-to-bypass-the-samsung-puk-code-screen-unlock-your-phone/

starshiptrooper

The message on your phone indicates that the Network Code will not be sufficient to unlock your phone.  You Need to insert the Defreeze Code first.  Unfortunately The carriers don't have the defreeze code only Samsung does. You can contact Samsung Canada and they should be able to provide it within 1 or 2 weeks.  If you are in  a rush I suggest you order it online from a website that offers unlocking services. Make sure when buying that they specifiy that the Defreeze code is included.

Here are the correct steps as I have done it myself, as prescribed by the CanadaUnlocking website:

1)Switch ON your Samsung with a non compatible SIM Card,
2)Wait for your phone to ask for "SIM Network Unlock PIN" or "Enter Network Lock Control Key",
3) First enter your Defreeze code and hit the "Unlock" button.
Note: You will get "Unsuccessful message" but don't worry that's fine when you typethe Defreeze code.
4 ) Now immediately enter in the Network Code (on the second attempt) and hit the "Unlock" button.
5)  Your phone will say "unlock successful" !

EXTRA INSTRUCTIONS: if you get an "Unlock Unsuccessful" message again after you type the Defreeze code and the network code as described above then:

WARNING: Back up your DATA before proceeding to the next steps (as your phone will be erased and restored to factory settings)
5- Then hit "Dismiss" button and compose *2767*3855# on your phone keypad (as if you were dialing a phone number).
6 - Wait for the phone to restart, this operation will erase all data from your phone!
7 - Retry the step 1 to 4 above !

@Kangaroo_Alex wrote:

Hi,

I had the same problem.

Had bought my phone outright with Rogers 2yrs ago. Have been using Fido as provider up to now.

Switching to PM SIM card prompted request for Network unlock code.

The PUK provided by Public Mobile did not help.

I had to go back to carrier where I bought my phone, provide my IMEI # and they gave me the code.

Your phone isn'k asking for the security-related PUK for your sim card.  When you first activate a sim card, there is no reason for a phone to ask for this code as this security feature is disabled by default.  The default PIN code fo the sim card just happens to be 1234.

It's great to hear that you were able to easily get the network unlock code from your old carrier.

Kangaroo_Alex

Hi,

I had the same problem.

Had bought my phone outright with Rogers 2yrs ago. Have been using Fido as provider up to now.

Switching to PM SIM card prompted request for Network unlock code.

The PUK provided by Public Mobile did not help.

I had to go back to carrier where I bought my phone, provide my IMEI # and they gave me the code.

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@medousa3326 wrote:

Wow, it worked!! I am so happy!

Thank you so much cappaj for your help! Seems like Samsung may have been asked this by customers a couple of times, as the first code the chat guy gave me worked!

Have a nice day!

Glad you got it sorted out! I remember that feeling of the brick wall I'd been banging my head against finally coming down, it's such a relief.

medousa3326

Wow, it worked!! I am so happy!

Thank you so much cappaj for your help! Seems like Samsung may have been asked this by customers a couple of times, as the first code the chat guy gave me worked!

Have a nice day!

cappaj

I got that "master code" directly from Samsung - but then Fido, who I had first contacted and told me they'd have to look into it further, eventually got back to me with the same "master code" - so you could try both and see who gets it to you first.

I contacted Samsung through chat on their website - it was a bit of back and forth, originally they tried telling me it was just the unlock code from Fido that I needed, and I had to convince them that that code was not working and what I needed was the "master code" and then eventually they looked it up and gave it to me.

@medousa3326 wrote:

Hi Dunkman,

Thanks for your fast answer, you are definitely faster than the moderator, no one have answered me since yesterday yet lol!

The message I have on the screen is: SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK. Fido gave me a code, I've tried it along with two codes given by Public Mobile, but none is working! I tought I burned the SIM card so asked them to send me another one, but the new one haven't asked me to enter any PIN, the message given started asking the PUK.. I don't know if that means something to you..

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge, it's not suppose not to be locked (it is my friend's phone, he told me it was unlocked but after I asked him back, he's not sure if he had unlocked it lol).

I haven't tried the SIM card on another phone, maybe I could do that to see if that's the issue!

Any advise could help!

Thanks and have a nice day!

@medousa3326

"Unlocked" Samsung phones have been known to lock themselves to the first carrier they are used with. Follow @cappaj's advice in the post above.

Another thought, and no offence meant: How well do you know this friend? Is it possible that they defaulted on their outstanding device balance with their provider and the provider black listed it?

@medousa3326

As Cappaj mentioned above, you might need to call Samsung itself, to get master unlock code.  Sometimes, with some phones, even though it is unlocked initially, once you put in a SIM card, it locks to the initial carrier.  Try that....

@medousa3326 wrote:

Hi Dunkman,

Thanks for your fast answer, you are definitely faster than the moderator, no one have answered me since yesterday yet lol!

The message I have on the screen is: SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK. Fido gave me a code, I've tried it along with two codes given by Public Mobile, but none is working! I tought I burned the SIM card so asked them to send me another one, but the new one haven't asked me to enter any PIN, the message given started asking the PUK.. I don't know if that means something to you..

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge, it's not suppose not to be locked (it is my friend's phone, he told me it was unlocked but after I asked him back, he's not sure if he had unlocked it lol).

I haven't tried the SIM card on another phone, maybe I could do that to see if that's the issue!

Any advise could help!

If you have a friends sim to try in your phone than that will tell you if it is unlocked BUT it can't be the same carrier that the phone was on previously!

medousa3326

Hi Dunkman,

Any advise could help!

cappaj

@medousa3326 wrote:

Hi,

I am experimenting the exact same issue dince a whole week now! So, I am paying for my phone but can't use it!! Someone from public mobile (it took one day to get an answer), but the two puk number they gave me do not work. After that, they gave me another sim card, still not working and stilk no answer. I am really considering going back with fido, what a whaste of time, thought someone else between the forum would want to help me and faster than the moderators, anyone? Thanks!

I had unlock code issues coming from Fido too, but eventually got it sorted out.

Can you let us know what kind of phone you have and what the exact message is that you're getting from your phone?

For me on my Samsung S7, these are the messages/prompts I was shown and what they meant:

"SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK."
- This is asking for Samsung's "master code" - I got this after entering the wrong code for the message below too many times. Samsung and/or your previous carrier can give you this.

"SIM network unlock PIN"
- This is asking for your previous carrier's unlock code - just contact them with your IMEI and they'll give it to you easy peasy. If you enter this incorrectly too many times, you'll get the error message above.

@medousa3326

That is frustrating.  You post will get more attention and visibility (and more responses) if you start your own thread. Hopefully, the moderators will still helping you out (taking more time unfortunately)

Besides the information already provided, can you provide more details to give the community members an idea what exactly happened.  Did you port your number and it asked for PUK code?  Model of phone?  Locked or unlocked phone?  Have you tried your SIM card in another different phone to help distinguish between hardware problem versus service issue

A

medousa3326

Hi,

I am experimenting the exact same issue since a whole week now! So, I am paying for my phone but can't use it!! Someone from public mobile (it took one day to get an answer), but the two puk number they gave me do not work. After that, they gave me another sim card, still not working and stilk no answer. I am really considering going back with fido, what a whaste of time, thought someone else between the forum would want to help me and faster than the moderators, anyone? Thanks!

SL75
Hello, I'm having the same issue. My phone was unlocked and I switched from Virgin to PM. I entered my PM pin 3 times and it would not accept it. Then I was asked for my Puk. PM gave me not only 1 but 2 Puk... none of them worked. I'm sitting here with a phone and a sim card that somehow do not match. No help from moderators bcse they say it is a handset issue and they don't deal with them! Really? I see the same screen as you do and I feel hopeless. Thinking of switch back to Virgin. What else can I do?

wrote:

wrote:

@hsungje You said your phone is still locked to Bell. Have you contacted Bell to get that resolved? PM won’t be able to unlock a phone from another provider. 

Yes I've contacted Bell already and have the unlock code from Bell right in front of me. My issue is that now the phone asking for the PUK code instead of PIN. The PUK I received from the PM moderators isn't working.

Ask again.  They are the source for PUK codes.

@hsungje, when I have had to unlock a phone I put in just entered code.  Have you tried restarting phone and trying this again?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Best bet is to send them another DM explaining the situation. You may not get a response until tomorrow so be patient. 

hsungje

wrote:

@hsungje You said your phone is still locked to Bell. Have you contacted Bell to get that resolved? PM won’t be able to unlock a phone from another provider. 

Yes I've contacted Bell already and have the unlock code from Bell right in front of me. My issue is that now the phone asking for the PUK code instead of PIN. The PUK I received from the PM moderators isn't working.

mtfolks

hsungje

wrote:

Please contact the moderator team for a PUK code.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following link for information on contacting the moderator team.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

thanks for your response, but please read the post before just copying and pasting your answer. thanks 

MoraMan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

wrote:

I have the Public Mobile SIM card inserted though. 

I think your SIM network is blocked because your phone is still locked to Bell. Need to unlock first, then try again me thinks.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Please contact the moderator team for a PUK code.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following link for information on contacting the moderator team.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

mtfolks

If it’s STILL locked to Bell you need to contact Bell to have them unlock your phone and troubleshoot any unlock issues. 

Once the phone is unlocked you should be able to proceed with switching to PM. 

hsungje

I have the Public Mobile SIM card inserted though. 

MoraMan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

wrote:

I ordered a Public Mobile SIM card, while trying to unlock my phone I entered my network unlock code wrong too many times and the phone started asking for the PUK code seen below:

Screenshot_20180210-182518.png

I've contacted the PM moderator to get the PUK code, but when I enter the code provided, it just says "Incorrect network unlock code entered".

I'm currently using Galaxy Note 5 still locked with Bell. Anyone experienced this before?

Shouldn't this be provided by Bell if your phone is still locked to them?

Need Help? Let's chat.