cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM sim stops my iPhone 6s from working

asengland
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've just activated my PM SIM successfully, but when I put it in my iphone 6s the phone becomes unusable- I'm unable to access the home screen, and when I press the home button I am only allowed to make emergency calls. I am unable to access general settings and am stuck with a message saying 'SIM not supported'. The phone works perfectly with my Virgin SIM (thankfully I haven't cancelled my contract yet), and also worked with my sister-in-law's SIM so I don't think it's a hardware problem. The PM SIM works in my husband's Moto G. I checked compatibility before purchasing the SIM and the PM site says the SIM and my phone are compatible. I'm running iOS 13.3.

I've checked my cellular settings. LTE is enabled for Voice and Data, and network selection is set to 'Automatic'. I've reset my network settings and I still get stuck in the same sequence when I add the SIM. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to solve this problem. I've detailed exactly what I experience when I use the SIM below:

When I put the sim into the iPhone, I see a white screen with 'hello' and a pop up message saying 'activation required'. The only option is 'dismiss'. The hello screen is an information icon which lets me view the MEID/ SN/ IMEI and ICCID and at the bottom of the screen it tells me to 'press home to open'. I am then prompted to enter my passcode. The next screen tells me that my phone has been successfully updated- just a few more steps and I am done!  When I click continue, I'm instructed to choose a wi-fi network or use Cellular Connection. Whichever I choose, I then see a spinning wheel and the message 'it may take a few minutes to set up your iphone'. I'm then told 'SIM not supported', with a message saying that 'the SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by this carrier.'  As soon as I remove the SIM, my home screen becomes accessible and functional again.

9 REPLIES 9

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@asengland wrote:

I've just activated my PM SIM successfully, but when I put it in my iphone 6s the phone becomes unusable- I'm unable to access the home screen, and when I press the home button I am only allowed to make emergency calls. I am unable to access general settings and am stuck with a message saying 'SIM not supported'. The phone works perfectly with my Virgin SIM (thankfully I haven't cancelled my contract yet), and also worked with my sister-in-law's SIM so I don't think it's a hardware problem. The PM SIM works in my husband's Moto G. I checked compatibility before purchasing the SIM and the PM site says the SIM and my phone are compatible. I'm running iOS 13.3.

I've checked my cellular settings. LTE is enabled for Voice and Data, and network selection is set to 'Automatic'. I've reset my network settings and I still get stuck in the same sequence when I add the SIM. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to solve this problem. I've detailed exactly what I experience when I use the SIM below:

When I put the sim into the iPhone, I see a white screen with 'hello' and a pop up message saying 'activation required'. The only option is 'dismiss'. The hello screen is an information icon which lets me view the MEID/ SN/ IMEI and ICCID and at the bottom of the screen it tells me to 'press home to open'. I am then prompted to enter my passcode. The next screen tells me that my phone has been successfully updated- just a few more steps and I am done!  When I click continue, I'm instructed to choose a wi-fi network or use Cellular Connection. Whichever I choose, I then see a spinning wheel and the message 'it may take a few minutes to set up your iphone'. I'm then told 'SIM not supported', with a message saying that 'the SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by this carrier.'  As soon as I remove the SIM, my home screen becomes accessible and functional again.

Besides being locked to the bell network, does your iPhone have the latest carrier update?

Good read for iphone users, curtesy of @CalgaryBenhttps://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M24562 

DonForgo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@asengland wrote:

Thank you- I'll check with her and let you know! The phone came from her and I think she's with Bell. 

A Bell locked device will work on Virgin & Lucky. All you have to do is call Bell customer service at 1 800 667 0123 and asked for the device to unlock. They will need the IMEI off the phone. 

Same goes for Rogers - Fido - Chatr, Telus - Koodo - Public Mobile, for future reference. 

As per CRTC rules, a phone that was locked previously to the rule change, must be unlocked upon request. A call centre rep may try to upsell you and pressure you into choosing them during this unlock call, but just say it flat out that you are not interested, and only want the device unlocked. 

Good luck

asengland

Thank you! The phone came from my Sister-in-Law and was never locked to Virgin- I've never had a problem with it using my Virgin SIM but if she was with Bell, @geopublic has explained why it might not be working! I've got in touch with her- fingers crossed!

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can also contact apple directly and ask them to unlock it for you. 

@asengland wrote:

Thank you- I'll check with her and let you know! The phone came from her and I think she's with Bell. 

asengland

@asengland I would just call Virgin and ask them to unlock your phone. It can't hurt. It's free afterall. It really sounds from what you're seeing that this is the issue. @geopublic wouldn't lead you astray!

@asengland wrote:

It's not locked- it works with my sister-in-law's SIM which isn't Virgin, and I obtained it as an unlocked phone. 

Thank you.

@asengland  Is her provider Bell or Lucky by any chance? If yes, then that is why it works same network as Virgin.

asengland

It's not locked- it works with my sister-in-law's SIM which isn't Virgin, and I obtained it as an unlocked phone. 

Thank you.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@asengland  Your phone is locked

Call Virginand and ask them to unlock your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.